By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Solo: A Star Wars Story Review Thread | 67 Meta | 73% RT

mZuzek said:
pikashoe said:

It was not disproven whatsoever, it was proven to have happened; people went through many of the reviews and found that many were copy pasted by accounts with very similar names. Also most of the negative reviews were written the day the accounts were made. 

Yeah, okay.

I wonder why this only happened to The Last Jedi?!

It happened to black panther as well. Not to the same extreme. RT and metacritic only have a few thousand reviews each for TLJ. Imdb has over 370 000 reviews. I don't thinks it's wrong to say that it is more indicative of the general audience perception of the film.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
mZuzek said:

Tried it once, couldn't stand a minute. I ain't about to watch hours of a dude breaking down why a movie I like doesn't work in any way, when it's clear he just hates them. He'll do anything to make them look shitty.

So you are completely unwilling to listen to a detailed analysis of the films? If your unwilling to listen to that why should I listen to you?

Do you have a problem with me dude? I was just going to have a friendly conversation with you. But you are just coming across as extremely rude and unpleasant. The 'no matter what way you wanna spin it' comment was unnecessary. The general tone seems needlessly aggressive. If I said anything to provoke anger in you I'm sorry it was not my intent.

Plinkett annoyed me quite a bit, The Last Jedi annoyed me quite a lot. You're talking about these two in a positive manner, so the result is inevitable.

You don't need to listen to me, of course. You're free to have your own taste and I'm free to have mine. But I'm not about to watch an hour-long review for a movie if it's only exclusively going to bash it incessantly. Those reviews were the product of hatred, and even if that hatred is justified, it's still hatred. I have justified hatred for The Last Jedi too, and I'm not proud of it either - I definitely wouldn't make an hour long review of it going on about how everything it does is crap (though I clearly can go on for a while).

Sorry if I came across aggressively, yeah I probably did. I just can't stand TLJ, and at this point am very much tired of Disney Star Wars - maybe on a different era I'd be incredibly annoyed about what this franchise has become, but thankfully, there's another movie franchise out there, also owned by Disney, which has won me over far more than Star Wars ever has, so I just don't care much at this point. Of course, I still care a little, but I do make an effort to not give it much attention. I'm only talking about it in this thread because I'm stuck with an orange notification now for expressing how little I care.

mZuzek said:
pikashoe said:

You should give the plinkett reviews a watch. They break down in great detail how almost nothing in the prequels work. One of my lecturers in college even recommended the reviews.

Tried it once, couldn't stand a minute. I ain't about to watch hours of a dude breaking down why a movie I like doesn't work in any way, when it's clear he just hates them. He'll do anything to make them look shitty.

If anything, I could spend an hour writing about how The Last Jedi doesn't work at all, and that's based on just one viewing so I only remember a little. That movie's script was a total, absolute, complete and utter mess, doesn't matter how much you wanna spin it. The prequels might have been bogged down by atrocious writing and equally bad acting, as well as some questionable script choices and dreadful characters, but they at least tried to tell a consistent story, unlike The Last Jedi which just throws shit at your face every other second and expects you to swallow all of it.

You know what reminds me of The Last Jedi? The last movie of Digimon Adventure Tri. Of course, most of you wouldn't have watched it, and I'm sure it couldn't possibly be well received critically because of what it is (meaning it probably doesn't have much of a critical reception at all), but it's just like The Last Jedi. A completely incoherent mess of a story, with glaring plot holes everywhere and even more glaring bandages to cover them with nonsense fanservice, pathetically out-of-character moments, or even just lines that make absolutely no sense for any human being to ever pronounce (see: "We don't win by killing who we hate, we win by saving who we love"). Still, I could somewhat enjoy the last movie of Digimon Adventure Tri, because it was the last movie of a rather underwhelming 6-film series, in which the story just kept getting worse with each passing one, so by that point I had lowered my standards quite dramatically. The Last Jedi though, as average as Force Awakens was, it had something it had to live up to, and it failed so, so brutally hard - and it didn't just fail, it also had to basically throw a middle finger at everything Star Wars ever was, because you know, "innovation", "boldness", "new generation" whatever bullshit.

If I had the opportunity, I could do a 24 livestream breaking down how TLJ doesn't work. I still cant comprehend how people saw this as good, minus pandering politics that are extremely blatant. I have no problem with the original trilogy and how it handled its political undertones, mostly because it was only undertones. The politics in this sounds like they were written for 9 year olds with no surface level of the background of this movie or how anything works, and even then I don't think 9 year olds would fall for the shallowness that is this film.

Say what you will about the prequels, at least they were hilariously entertaining films. The Force Awakens is right up there with Black Panther as one of the most overrated films ever (only because TFA was ruined by TLJ and should just be non-cannon at this point), Rouge One was fine by me, but The Last Jedi overtook Jack and Jill as my least favorite movie ever, just by how sheerly boringly awful it is and how it got everything in Star Wars wrong. I hated the Leah using the force scene, but if there were 5-10 more moments like that in the film, it would've fallen in that hilariously bad area for me.

pikashoe said:
mZuzek said:

Yeah, okay.

I wonder why this only happened to The Last Jedi?!

It happened to black panther as well. Not to the same extreme. RT and metacritic only have a few thousand reviews each for TLJ. Imdb has over 370 000 reviews. I don't thinks it's wrong to say that it is more indicative of the general audience perception of the film.

Did it, now? I see nothing about Black Panther's user reviews on either Metacritic or RT that isn't representative of what most of the internet thinks of the movie. Most people I've seen talk about it on the internet, across a wide variety of mediums, do consider it to be meh or underwhelming.

For the record, it's one of my favorite ever movies. I absolutely don't understand where all these people are coming from, but these people do exist and they do have that opinion.

mZuzek said:
pikashoe said:

Did it, now? I see nothing about Black Panther's user reviews on either Metacritic or RT that isn't representative of what most of the internet thinks of the movie. Most people I've seen talk about it on the internet, across a wide variety of mediums, do consider it to be meh or underwhelming.

For the record, it's one of my favorite ever movies. I absolutely don't understand where all these people are coming from, but these people do exist and they do have that opinion.

The film was severely review bombed at release. The same group that review bombed TLJ, said they were planning to do the same for black panther. People were more aware of it this time so it didn't work as well as it did for last Jedi. BP has generally been very well received by fans. I'm not sure where on the internet you've been.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
mZuzek said:

The film was severely review bombed at release. The same group that review bombed TLJ, said they were planning to do the same for black panther. People were more aware of it this time so it didn't work as well as it did for last Jedi. BP has generally been very well received by fans. I'm not sure where on the internet you've been.

Here, among many other places. I'm on Discord groups where everyone talks about how underwhelming or boring BP was. I've seen people talk about it on social media. There really are a lot of people who dislike it and you're in denial if you say it's a "group of review bombers" or whatever. Give me a proper source and maybe I'll believe you, because it's complete nonsense that these people would do it for The Last Jedi and Black Panther, but not everything else? How about Infinity War, the most hyped movie of the decade? Or The Force Awakens, the other most hyped movie of the decade? Or if it's just critically acclaimed movies, how about every other critically acclaimed movie ever?

Listen, I love Black Panther and mostly everyone I know personally also does. So I'm also in denial over how so many people don't see it that way. But these people do exist, and they are many. Very many.

mZuzek said:
Nozz-A-La said:

Does not mean much

Also this. 90% of decent blockbusters these days just get the same scores, because critics can't be bothered to actually give them a fair and proper rating - except when they have some political message, such as Black Panther or The Last Jedi, in which case they're instantly amazing.

To be fair, both The Last Jedi and Black Panther had stellar cinematography, but shouldn't be the only determining factor for how good a movie is and it certainly isn't for critics because many movies with great cinematography have much lower scores. Personally, one of these two is among my favorite ever films, and the other is one of the worst I've seen in recent memory, so... yeah, movie critics just don't matter at all.

I'd say if a movie has a metacritic below 50 or 55 at most, yeah, it's probably bad and I'd rather avoid it. But anything above 60 has the potential to be awful, average, good or amazing.

Edit: moreso, when it comes to Disney Star Wars films, the critic and fan reception has been inversely proportional. Critics say TLJ > TFA > RO, whereas fans say the exact opposite, myself included.

I think critics these days feel they have an obligation to give poor scores even if it was good. It just wouldn't be trendy for critics to walk out of a movie cinema or game with anything nice to say about it.  As an example, I thought Batman Vs Superman and Justice League were fun and enjoyable movies for the most part but critics just loved to pan these..

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

The trailers looked worse than Rogue One, which I personally hated. I can’t imagine watching Solo or TLJ and I’ll probably just go see the final film just because.

my prediction as it stands: "Solo will be the highest rated Star Wars movie ever"

my opinion as a whole: "Star Wars was never good and its about time people realized this and got over it"

pikashoe said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'd like to remind everyone that the opinions of critics are most definitely not the end all be all of opinions. Critics loved The Last Jedi and gave it an 85 on Metacritic and a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, but the user scores were only 4.6 on Metacritic and 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, indicating that roughly half of all Star Wars fans didn't like it.

Critics not liking Solo as much as The Last Jedi might not mean that it's a worse movie, in fact it might even be a good thing, because in my experience often it is the movies the critics don't like as much that end up being the biggest hits with general audiences. 

A lot of that is down to the film being review bombed. Imdb is a bit more indicative of what audiences actually thought.

You're joking right? Why would the Last Jedi be review bombed? Why would that film be singled out? Couldn't you say that about any other movie? 

Fact is, the movie was massively divisive among Star Wars fans. IMO the audience scores are more accurate that critics. 

BvS was trashed by critics, yet roughly 60% of fans enjoyed the film. 

1doesnotsimply