By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Uh oh... Switch can now run backups via CFW.

Should Nintendo/Game Developers Be Concerned?

Yes 7 36.84%

No 12 63.16%

Total:19

Supposedly Team Xecuter has gotten Switch backups running on Custom Firmware. This kind of scares me because Pokemon hasn't released yet and there are about 20M+ Switches out there that can run this exploit. Things like this usually don't bother me, but the fact that it's happening so early is concerning. It was bound to happen but man, I don't even think DS was hacked with backups this early. Hopefully Nintendo can find a way to combat this or just hope not that many people are pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjkhPMrWqnc

What do you guys think? I for one am actually against it but there's not much I, or anyone else can do at this point.

Edit: I forgot to mention, yes this specific exploit requires a purchase of a $30 USB-C Dongle to install the CFW, however teams like FailOverflow will most likely find workarounds for users to do the same for free.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 15 May 2018

Around the Network

This and the exploit will do zero harm to the system.Dont worry.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

The biggest problem with backups is the effect they have on online cheating. I think Nintendo does a good job cracking down on hackers though.

Other than that, I don't see this as a big deal. The number of people who go through the effort to mod their system to play free games are quite minuscule in the Switch's main markets (if we were talking about developing countries, that's a different story.)

Play backups on the DS was a very different. All you needed to do was buy an flash cart, and you were good to go.

sc94597 said:

The biggest problem with backups is the effect they have on online cheating. I think Nintendo does a good job cracking down on hackers though.

Other than that, I don't see this as a big deal. The number of people who go through the effort to mod their system to play free games are quite minuscule in the Switch's main markets (if we were talking about developing countries, that's a different story.)

Play backups on the DS was a very different. All you needed to do was buy an flash cart, and you were good to go.

Ahh..good point. Online should prove to be a decent measure against it. I do agree that the amount of people willing to go through this will be minor but when it's moving this fast, I can't help but be concerned. This could indeed become another DS or 3DS situation especially since this isn't Nintendo's own hardware. And the Pokemon games have been downloaded tens of millions of times each online.

But maybe I'm overacting, and something else I forgot to mention is that to currently do this method you need a $30 device from Team Xecuter to even get backups running so yeah this is definitely limiting the potential customers.

Online on the 3DS was free, so getting banned wasn't quite as big of a problem. I believe they would spoof their 3DS to get back online. It may be a bit different when you need to pay for a subscription, that gets banned and then you'll need to pay for another just to try again (and probably get banned once more).

Around the Network

not good.... this could very well repel 3rd parties from releasing quality titles on the switch

will they ever learn...

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
not good.... this could very well repel 3rd parties from releasing quality titles on the switch

will they ever learn...

The most exploitable platform is PC and yet it still gets plenty of third party games.

The PS1 was so simple to mod, that all you had to do was put a spring under the lid and run a boot disc and you could play any CD-R you wanted. The PS2 was also similarly easy.

Piracy doesn't hurt gaming like it does other industries.

Yes, this is the time. In 30 years of gaming and piracy THIS is the time piracy is finally gonna have a significant impact. Nintendo might as well call insolvency right now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The fact that it works on any firmware is pretty effective so patching this won't work, hopefully Nintendo doesn't fuck it up when they introduce cheaper SKUs since citizens from poorer countries have more reasons to pirate ...

$30 is a small price to pay if you can read a few small instructions to get nearly the whole retail library ...