By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony should make the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Playing gow I get the feeling Sony santa Monica would do an insane job turning the Lord of the rings trilogy into a game spread over 3 parts of course. Some aspects of the game remind me of the LOTR. To avoid spoilers I can't go into too much details. But I will say some of the environments, the combat and especially the music they created demonstrate they'd be up for the task. 

Now a title like this would normally only get a multiplatform release but Sony are defying all the odds this generation scooping up exclusives such as spiderman. 

What do you guys think? Sony santa Monica making the fellowship of the ring as a ps5 exclusive? 

Around the Network

Yes. And it can be their answer to The Legend of Zelda. Makes perfect sense actually.

Is this assuming they get the rights to Middle Earth from Warner Brothers?

My answer would be either use Santa Monica to continue God of War series that has just been reinvigorated or try a new IP. Making a major investment in a licensed product has lots of drawbacks compared to owning it.

Doesn't Sony own Spiderman? Defying all odds.

It was tried once before during the Xbox/PS2/DC/Gamecube era and turned out meh. I really don't think a video game will ever do those books/movies justice.

Around the Network

Would rather an original/untold story set within Middle earth as opposed to rehashing the films which everyone has seen.

No we already have lord of the ring games. But somebody should get their asses and work on a Mistborn game asap!

OTBWY said:

Sony own the movie rights, NOT the video game rights. Not sure how they had that oversight with their deal back in the early 2000s

As much as I dislike Wb and their handling of IP's, I'd rather wait a few more years for a decent LotR game, than one that's exclusive to one console.

The franchise shouldn't even be locked to one console either.

I'd rather see CDPR or Platinum take a crack at it.

Also, it being exclusive would be a bad thing for the franchise and IP, so no it wouldn't be a "good thing". It's only good for those having it made exclusive to their console for bragging rights (which wouldn't be far off from some on here doing that).

Last edited by Chazore - on 11 May 2018

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

OTBWY said:

Negative. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
It was tried once before during the Xbox/PS2/DC/Gamecube era and turned out meh. I really don't think a video game will ever do those books/movies justice.

Have you played gow? 

Currently on my second playthrough and I'm in the alfheim realm. It really reminds me of some of the elves scenes in the woods in LOTR. Sony santa Monica could create and absolutely epic LOTR experience if they had a go at it.

People complain about exclusivity but imo it's not always bad. If the current spiderman game was multiplatform and made by Activision for example I could guarantee you it would be a far lesser game.