By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Germany April charts: God of War debuts at No.1, Nintendo Labo at No.12

Didn't expect anything different from God of War here in Germany! :P

Around the Network
zippy said:
Barkley said:
Wow, look at how many people are thrilled labo came 12th. Nice.

I think someone is also thrilled Labo came 12th

I think he's just trying to snap people into reality. This is NOT a good start. 

thismeintiel said:
zippy said:

I think someone is also thrilled Labo came 12th

What start were people expecting. It's an untried concept as far as I can tell. It's exceeded 120k units in Japan, so it's at least done 200k plus worldwide. I would class that as a solid opening but not spectacular, far from a flop though. I would like to see the legs on this as it's certainly something that would be more of a holiday gift for the kids. 

zippy said:
thismeintiel said:

What start were people expecting. It's an untried concept as far as I can tell. It's exceeded 120k units in Japan, so it's at least done 200k plus worldwide. I would class that as a solid opening but not spectacular, far from a flop though. I would like to see the legs on this as it's certainly something that would be more of a holiday gift for the kids.

I'll just quote my post from the UK thread.

"I got to say it's funny with all the goalpost moving for Labo. When the first pre-orders were available, people were thinking it would be a big hit because of its ranking on Amazon. Then, when they started to slip, it changed to "Oh well, I never thought it would start big, it'll be big during the holidays." Now, that part may become true, but it's hilarious how many people are acting like that was the consensus from the very start.

And after a very meh start in Japan and poor starts in UK and Germany, there are people actually saying this is a good start? Come on, let's not leave reality here. Labo is not starting well at all. Maybe it'll pick up during the holidays, but let's not allow are biases to put blinders on."

People were expecting a big hit. At  first, at least. Then, the goalpost moved to a slow start and it would do great during the holidays. Of course, what's more important is what Nintendo expected from it. They wanted it to push Switch HW. It failed to do so. It also has only sold through ~30%-35% of its shipments in the two weeks it's been out in Japan. 

#12 for the entire month isn't bad considering it released on the 27th. No it's no monstrous sales, but hardly as bad as the OP and others are trying to make it seem. We'll see what type of legs it has

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
zippy said:

"I got to say it's funny with all the goalpost moving for Labo. When the first pre-orders were available, people were thinking it would be a big hit because of its ranking on Amazon. Then, when they started to slip, it changed to "Oh well, I never thought it would start big, it'll be big during the holidays." Now, that part may become true, but it's hilarious how many people are acting like that was the consensus from the very start.

And after a very meh start in Japan and poor starts in UK and Germany, there are people actually saying this is a good start? Come on, let's not leave reality here. Labo is not starting well at all. Maybe it'll pick up during the holidays, but let's not allow are biases to put blinders on."

People were expecting a big hit. At  first, at least. Then, the goalpost moved to a slow start and it would do great during the holidays. Of course, what's more important is what Nintendo expected from it. They wanted it to push Switch HW. It failed to do so. It also has only sold through ~30%-35% of its shipments in the two weeks it's been out in Japan. 

At the end of the day Labo is an alien concept, nobody could predict flop or success. Like I said, it's most likely done 200k plus worldwide which I would deem to be a solid if unspectacular start. I think most level headed people here have said it would start slow and hopefully build momentum at holiday periods. Those moving the goalposts as you said we're just thinking a Wii fit type scenario which quite frankly I don't think will happen again.

Hiku said:
Kerotan said:

(digital sales not included)

Labo is #1 if you count digital sales. Digital cardboard is the new thing.

Honestly though, I didn't expect it to be huge hit on charts worldwide, but it's good that it exists for the audience who enjoy that sort of thing. Hopefully Nintendo's expectations were also in line with how it performed.

Nintendo announced it with a short trailer, it wasn't even deemed direct worthy. It's just a kind of side project, certainly not a system seller and I think Nintendo think that too.

zippy said:
thismeintiel said:

At the end of the day Labo is an alien concept, nobody could predict flop or success. Like I said, it's most likely done 200k plus worldwide which I would deem to be a solid if unspectacular start. I think most level headed people here have said it would start slow and hopefully build momentum at holiday periods. Those moving the goalposts as you said we're just thinking a Wii fit type scenario which quite frankly I don't think will happen again.

Yea. I, myself, did not think it was gonna set the world on fire initially. It has the potential to have legs moving forward depending on how things go.

Hopefully, it will do its job. Its a really interesting concept by the 1-2 Switch team and director Tsubasa Sakaguchi (director of Splatoon). This is (figuratively and literally) an outside-the-box concept.

thismeintiel said:
zippy said:

No, its been that way from the start for most people who thought it would be a success. Slow start, long legs & and strong holidays.

Very few thought it would have a big start.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
it's okay, the digital sales of labo probably put it above god of war

This is probably the first time in a minute we can take retail sales for face value. Labo can't have digital sales. By the way guys, it's weird to see you guys fawning over LABO when it is a children's play thing.  Being that infants dont dominate the market it did very well and its okay to congratulate GOW.  In what universe would LABO become a hit simply by existing?