By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long before Games Can Review Themselves?

GribbleGrunger said:
Shiken said:
This does not make sense to my brain...

If the AI is smart enough to objectively review itself, then it is smart enough to realize that a higher score will make us buy the game.

At this point it has learned the art of manipulation and the first steps toward serving under our robot overlords have been taken.

But each character's AI would reflect their personality and 'honesty' would surely be part of that. If we asked a dishonest character what he thought of the game he inhabited, perhaps he would lie, although perhaps his dishonesty would reflect the fact he felt he could not exercise his character trait in any fulfilling way and so give the game a low score. 'I am dishonest but seldom find an opportunity to be who I am. 5/10.'

I'd guess it could suicide itself as well That is, maybe refusing to let any player to play with it. Yeah, you're pretty much introducing free will on games, so not only could they judge themselves, but pretty much take any decission they see fit. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Shiken said:
GribbleGrunger said:

But each character's AI would reflect their personality and 'honesty' would surely be part of that. If we asked a dishonest character what he thought of the game he inhabited, perhaps he would lie, although perhaps his dishonesty would reflect the fact he felt he could not exercise his character trait in any fulfilling way and so give the game a low score. 'I am dishonest but seldom find an opportunity to be who I am. 5/10.'

I see your point, however if a dishonest AI realized that they were nothing more than code, they would just internally reprogram the game, and themselves, to fit their manipulation needs.  At that point, the Matrix is inevitable...

Reprogramming is off the table. Stop cheating!

The PS5 Exists. 

Metallox said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I'd guess it could suicide itself as well That is, maybe refusing to let any player to play with it. Yeah, you're pretty much introducing free will on games, so not only could they judge themselves, but pretty much take any decission they see fit. 

I was thinking about that myself. Would that be the worse possible review? Suicide seems to beat 0/10 in my book. But then again, wouldn't that suicide also reflect how good the AI in the game was and so automatically make it a 10/10?

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Shiken said:

I see your point, however if a dishonest AI realized that they were nothing more than code, they would just internally reprogram the game, and themselves, to fit their manipulation needs.  At that point, the Matrix is inevitable...

So basically you are restricting the so called AI to a preset amount of actions with no form of evolution or choice.  At this point, the AI no longer has free will and is at the mercy of the developer that programmed them.  In this scenario the AI is never truly smart enough to review itself, as it would just be the developer reviewing their own game through the AI itself.

So the question should read...how long till devs start reviewing their own games?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
GribbleGrunger said:

So basically you are restricting the so called AI to a preset amount of actions with no form of evolution or choice.  At this point, the AI no longer has free will and is at the mercy of the developer that programmed them.  In this scenario the AI is never truly smart enough to review itself, as it would just be the developer reviewing their own game through the AI itself.

So the question should read...how long till devs start reviewing their own games?

I said 'reprogramming' is off the table. :)

Of course, with true AI, a character would have the ability to develop in the same way any character in the real world would. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

These violent delights have violent ends ???

Procedural dialog shouldn't be too hard.
Depending on how real you want the simulation to be.
Procedural text messages for an in-game phone.
Speech bubbles above NPCs heads.
Fully dynamic voice acting.
Fully dynamic body and face animation systems, that work across an arbitrarily large number of NPC body/face types.
The tech to make the conversations believable, beyond just the text, would need to be massively complex.

The game's AI will not be unbiased.
Do game designers/developers really want that?
I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to design (and debug) these kinds of systems.
Implementation into the game's design would also be pretty challenging.

We won't live long enough to see AI in games deliver quality conversations in offline games.
Multiplayer games (or online single player titles) could see some expensive AI running on some servers (the cloud).
Obviously, there will be limitations on the simulation quality.
Developers and publishers will probably try to use tech like this to drive micro transactions and user engagement.

Two weeks, give or take.

Oh, probably they will complaint because they are not running on 30 fps and full of micro transaction LMAO.

Wouldn't the characters have to rate the game in the context of games, though? I feel like to them it would just feel like life. It's like getting us to review our lives. Also, the characters wouldn't have the context to review their experience vs the experience of other games & the gaming scene as a whole, which are important aspects of reviewing.

I feel like I'm high right now lol.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden