By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

duduspace1 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Yes, the software is as basic as it gets. I can't fathom how it could be valued at anymore than $20 absolute max, more than likely less than that. So what are they charging that extra $50 for? The cardboard I guess, and therein lies where my "ripoff" claims come from. 

I think you should reexamine your conclusion on the pricing of the software. A software that enables creativity on the scale labo does is worth every penny it costs.

It may not be for everybody but it is for those able to use it. I can turn your logic on the head by saying a game like GOW is not worth its price because I can get some Blueray  animated movies for less than £20. Depends on what you are pricing is it the play portion or the creativity/building portion.

But the vast majority of its target audience are kids who are going to use it by playing the games. That's why I find it foolish that so little effort was put into them. I can't say how much worth there is in the "programmable" part of LABO/how much money was spent to develop it, because I am not that familiar with it, but those creations that I have seen (for example a counter that counts things that you throw near it) have not been very impressive.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

Why are you making foolish arguments when you can't even accept what the reviewers say about those LABO-games? You should instead tell why those games are better than what the reviewers and I think. It seems you can't do that. It doesn't make my, and the reviewers, arguments baseless just because I am not a fan of "gimmick/non-gaming" -focus. And I think that several Nintendo games are worth more than majority of other games.

And then there is the 80 dollar price tag. The games didn't cost a lot to develop and the cardboard is cheap, so there is a huge amount of extra in the price. Would you defend this product if it was published by Activision/EA (or any other company)? I don't think so. So can you make better arguments than calling someone biased?  

If the game was worth $5-10 as you state then you'd think at least 1 of these reviewers you speak of would have given it a negative review, when reviewing the product as a whole, on metacritic. Unfortunately for your argument, not a single one has! Where are these magical reviewers you speak of?

The games are worth 5-10$ in my opinion (if they for example were sold on Steam), and the reviewers have said that they are very bare-bones and lack longevity and variety. Do you think that they don't, and what would you pay for them?

- Single-player Game

DonFerrari said:
duduspace1 said:

I think you should reexamine your conclusion on the pricing of the software. A software that enables creativity on the scale labo does is worth every penny it costs.

It may not be for everybody but it is for those able to use it. I can turn your logic on the head by saying a game like GOW is not worth its price because I can get some Blueray  animated movies for less than £20. Depends on what you are pricing is it the play portion or the creativity/building portion.

One could arguee what the average costumer will get from the game or value productions.

Still he is talking about his opinion, and anyone can think any product is a ripoff. And when price is so much higher than cost that opinion is very plausible.

That is precisely my point hence why I gave the example of GOW. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Let those willing to pay for Labo do so and simply say  it is not your own particular kind of gravy. Not try to say people are stupid for their pricing of something an individual has no interest in.

At the end of the day, Labo is outselling GOW in Japan which would suggest they believe it is worth that amount more than GOW is worth its price.

Labo might not be doing as well as some currently think it should but there is no basis to attack it on its pricing. Anything can be attacked on pricing because our value systems are different.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
peachbuggy said:

If the game was worth $5-10 as you state then you'd think at least 1 of these reviewers you speak of would have given it a negative review, when reviewing the product as a whole, on metacritic. Unfortunately for your argument, not a single one has! Where are these magical reviewers you speak of?

The games are worth 5-10$ in my opinion (if they for example were sold on Steam), and the reviewers have said that they are very bare-bones and lack longevity and variety. Do you think that they don't, and what would you pay for them?

You arent making any sense.

You have repeatedly used reviews to justify that it should cost $5-10 but the average review score is 75 (good).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RespectDecena said:
I wonder what kind of things Nintendo can make by just using discarded plastic bags

Parachute Simulator

Comes with a plastic bag and a small fan.

Step 1-Place fan between your legs pointing at an upward angle.

Step 2-hold plastic bag above your head.

Step 3-have fun

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

It was probably a good way to get rid of the Nintendo Wii U boxes from Nintendo's warehouses or a way to test the phrase that the Nintendo brand sells even cardboard at a price of gold.
It looks like they actually made a good margin of money but did not build a relevant brand.

zorg1000 said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

You have repeatedly used reviews to justify that it should cost $5-10 but the average review score is 75 (good).

I have said that the games themselves should cost 5-10$ (if sold separately), not the whole LABO-product. And the reviews have stated that the games are very bare-bones and lack longevity and variety. And like you know, the games are not reviewed on their own, but part of the LABO-experience.

Do you disagree that the games are lacking? What would you pay for them?               

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
peachbuggy said:

The reviewers may well have said that but it obviously wasn't bad enough for them to give the product as a whole a negative review, not a single 1 of them! As for my personal opinion, not having played it, i don't feel qualified to give a judicial points award. Having seen it be said it appears lacking, as far as i understand, the programming part is also included in the software. Something which, in some cases can definitely add value to the SW.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
zorg1000 said:

I have said that the games themselves should cost 5-10$ (if sold separately), not the whole LABO-product. And the reviews have stated that the games are very bare-bones and lack longevity and variety. And like you know, the games are not reviewed on their own, but part of the LABO-experience.

Do you disagree that the games are lacking? What would you pay for them?               

Here is a quick review i made a few pages back:

I think the OP is exaggerating a bit but i do agree with some of his points. Each of the different Toy-Cons are fun but lacking in content.

Motorbike-While you can create your own tracks, the game only comes with a single, 3 track cup. It should have 3-4 cups.

House-Comes with a few minigames to interact with the critter. It either needs a handful more minigames or more depth to each minigame.

Fishing Rod-It only includes a single level with a dozen or so fish to catch. It should have a handful of different environments with different fish.

Piano-The tutorial does a great job of explaining all the features but it expects you to already know how to play piano. It should have some basic piano lessons for beginners.

Overall I still really like Labo, creating each of the Toy-Cons is a blast and each game is fun but somewhat shallow and causes it to be good instead of great.

duduspace1 said:
DonFerrari said:

One could arguee what the average costumer will get from the game or value productions.

Still he is talking about his opinion, and anyone can think any product is a ripoff. And when price is so much higher than cost that opinion is very plausible.

That is precisely my point hence why I gave the example of GOW. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Let those willing to pay for Labo do so and simply say  it is not your own particular kind of gravy. Not try to say people are stupid for their pricing of something an individual has no interest in.

At the end of the day, Labo is outselling GOW in Japan which would suggest they believe it is worth that amount more than GOW is worth its price.

Labo might not be doing as well as some currently think it should but there is no basis to attack it on its pricing. Anything can be attacked on pricing because our value systems are different.

So if we can let those willing to pay why shouldn't we let those willing or wishing to complain or label it a rip-off do it? He didn't say people are stupid, he said Nintendo is ripping them off.

Yes sure, GoW have sold so much every entry in Japan right?

Some? You are pretending to live under the rock to not see the high expectations not being met in several places as reported in VHC?

There is basis for attack and you just ignored it. Or do you see production cost and value put in those softwares to validate the pricetag?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."