By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avengers:Infinity War breaks opening weekend box office record (worldwide and domestic)

Final box office numbers?

1.3 billion-1.5 billion 1 3.03%

1.5 billion-1.8 billion 7 21.21%

1.8 billion-2 billion 12 36.36%

2 billion + 13 39.39%

Total:33

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4393&p=.htm

Avengers:IW has an estimated opening of 250 million $ domestically , and an international haul of 630 million $ .

These are early numbers and may rise over the weekend.

Edit: actual numbers are in and it's even more incredible, domestic 257 million $

Worldwide 640 million $ 

This means it beats force awakens domestically by 10 million $ and the worldwide record holder fate of the Curtis by 100 million $>

Incredible performance!

Last edited by AnmolRed - on 01 May 2018

Around the Network

Ughh, I just can't believe these marvel movies do so well. Ah well, I'm just not into this super hero stuff but DAMN those numbers. I'm most likely gonna be wrong here, but I kinda hope Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom performs better. If not in opening, all-time worldwide box office.

At the same time, while Black Panther and Infinity War look great on paper (even the force awakens) - when you compare to inflation adjustments you will see that these numbers will pale compared to some of the older blockbusters from the 70's/80's or 90's. I'm referring to stuff like Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T., Star Wars or Titanic which were mind blowing.

I'm guessing it won't break 2 billion at the worldwide box office. The first did 1.5 billion and the second just shy with 1.4. This should probably fall between 1.6 - 1.8 if all goes well which would take down Jurassic World from the #4 spot. :( Bye bye JW.

StreaK said:

At the same time, while Black Panther and Infinity War look great on paper (even the force awakens) - when you compare to inflation adjustments you will see that these numbers will pale compared to some of the older blockbusters from the 70's/80's or 90's. I'm referring to stuff like Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T., Star Wars or Titanic which were mind blowing.

Well they didn't really have as many forms of entertainment back then.

Poweranimals said:
StreaK said:

Hmm, well how do you explain Avatar or TFA which are films from the 2000's/2010's era??? Very recent. Titanic, from 1997 can still be considered quite recent - we still had PS1 and N64 and various other forms of entertainment. The internet took off in 1990 truly, and by 1997 it was fairly active already. Youtube wasn't out until 2005. And yeah, facebook wasn't born yet either although Myspace was alive in 2003.

StreaK said:
Poweranimals said:

Hmm, well how do you explain Avatar or TFA which are films from the 2000's/2010's era??? Very recent. Titanic, from 1997 can still be considered quite recent - we still had PS1 and N64 and various other forms of entertainment. The internet took off in 1990 truly, and by 1997 it was fairly active already. Youtube wasn't out until 2005. And yeah, facebook wasn't born yet either although Myspace was alive in 2003.

No smartphones, social media, or streaming services in 1997. Avatar I'll give you though...

Around the Network
Poweranimals said:
StreaK said:

Which forms of entertainment are you thinking of?  Movies, music and video games were all present in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and in general they all made more money than they do now.

Oh, didn't realize you made this so long ago. I was updating my older one, but I'll just post here then.

I think it'll end up at $1.8B-$2B. But, I do reserve the right to be surprised. I could see this doing $2B+.

There are just more options now in general. More big budget genre movies, more TV shows to watch than ever. Not to mention people wasting more time on their phones.

Poweranimals said:
There are just more options now in general. More big budget genre movies, more TV shows to watch than ever. Not to mention people wasting more time on their phones.

True, and movies being available for stramings soon after release doesmdo help either, especially with high ticket prices.

I would also add the Home viewing experience is way better then it was in the past. I still go to the movies mostly because friends want to see certain movies the day they open so I go.

If it was just me most movies I rather just wait for the blu ray and watch it on my 65 inch tv with 5.1 speakers. Screen not as big as going to movies but I personally find the picture quality better then most theaters (unless you going to a good imax theater) and with my system sound is great.

Don't get me wrong there still certain scenes that more impressive on a huge screen but the home viewing experience is sooo much better then it was pre HD tvs or even in the early days of HD tvs