By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "FF7 Remake Aims To Exceed Original" SE Update

Kalkano said:
KLAMarine said:

I will agree though the reaction to the trailer is cringe. It's cool to be excited about something but hold back until AFTER said product is out to see if it's good or not... Otherwise you just come off as a sucker to manipulative, corporate marketing machinery. Three years later and still little to show for it.

I purposely didn't allow myself to get excited when it was first revealed, because I was 99% sure they were going to bastardize it into an ARPG, and I'd just end up watching it on YouTube instead of playing it.

I'm really glad, since the end result would have been so much more soul-crushing.

Yeah, I think the last E3 I watched with my full attention was in 2010 or something. They've long started to feel like giant and elaborate commercials.

Around the Network
miqdadi said:
At least we need a release date, I think this game will go to PS5

That has been my feeling as well that this will go the Versus XIII route and shift platforms after prolonged development cycle.

Kalkano said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

No True Scotsman.

That said, it' snot FFVII.  It's FFVIIR.

*eyeroll*

Sorry, it's pretty universal that people want remakes to remain at LEAST in the same genre as the original game, and will not even acknowledge it's existence otherwise.  Who asks for a remake when they didn't even like the TYPE of game that the original was?

Both the original and the remakes will be JRPGs. 

And no, it's not "pretty universal".  No matter how badly you want it to be otherwise.  

If you want the original, play the original. But Final Fantasy has always been about trying new things and changing core aspects of the game.  It was hopelessly naive to think that VIIR would be any different.  If you are unable to move past 1997, that's your problem, not Square's. 

DreadPirateRoberts said:
Kalkano said:

*eyeroll*

Sorry, it's pretty universal that people want remakes to remain at LEAST in the same genre as the original game, and will not even acknowledge it's existence otherwise.  Who asks for a remake when they didn't even like the TYPE of game that the original was?

And no, it's not "pretty universal".  No matter how badly you want it to be otherwise.  

If you want the original, play the original. But Final Fantasy has always been about trying new things and changing core aspects of the game.  It was hopelessly naive to think that VIIR would be any different.  If you are unable to move past 1997, that's your problem, not Square's. 

The term "JRPG" is meaningless.  That is not the type of game.  If you think otherwise, I DARE you to explain what TYPE of game a JRPG is.  It cannot be done, because it depends on the genre (type of game).  And yes, it's pretty universal, no matter how badly you want it to be otherwise.

Your last statement is as asinine as asinine gets.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Kalkano said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

The term "JRPG" is meaningless.  That is not the type of game.  If you think otherwise, I DARE you to explain what TYPE of game a JRPG is.  It cannot be done, because it depends on the genre (type of game).  And yes, it's pretty universal, no matter how badly you want it to be otherwise.

"I know you are but what am I" is a tacit admission you can't overcome a point.

You can pretend its universal if it makes you feel better, but you and I both know that whenever this remake comes out, it's going to sell many millions of copies.

And we both know - though you are about to deny it - that you will be among the throng getting it day one.

Around the Network

Personally, I'd like to hang whoever coined the "JRPG" abreviation. When I was kid in the early 90's, "JRPG"s wasn't a genre - it was just "RPG", regardless of the country that developed it. I have no respect for anyone that calls an RPG a "JRPG", if it was made in Japan that is.

Just stop being a hipster tool and call it an RPG. You don't call The Witcher 3 a "PRPG" (Poland) do you? Didn't think so..

DreadPirateRoberts said:
Kalkano said:

"I know you are but what am I" is a tacit admission you can't overcome a point.

You can pretend its universal if it makes you feel better, but you and I both know that whenever this remake comes out, it's going to sell many millions of copies.

And we both know - though you are about to deny it - that you will be among the throng getting it day one.

Um...grow up, please?

Also, Square has been trying to abandon and replace their fanbase for a long time now.  You know damn well that the people who will buy the remake are not the people who actually LIKED the type of game that the original was.

And, again with your asinine arrogance, people said the same crap to me about FF15, and no, I did not buy it.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

PS5 launch game?

Any truth to this?

http://cogconnected.com/2018/04/final-fantasy-vii-development-rebooted/