By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Respond About The state of Xbox One First party Exclusives and The Answer is Sad

How do you feel

XBOX One will get a great... 8 10.26%

I don't care win or loose... 9 11.54%

Ouya master race 6 7.69%

I quit supporting Xbox 35 44.87%

I don't care i own every ... 7 8.97%

see result 13 16.67%

Total:78
JamesGarret said:
Does anyone here know how many studios Xbox has compared to Sony?

Also, if Phil Spencer were to decide that, in response to GOW, they´d make something similar, which one of their studios would he most likely pick to make the game?

They don't have a hack and slash developer. Ryse was their only attempt and that was Crytek. There is only one western hack and slash developer that has the talent to match Santa Monica Studio gameplay and that's Ninja Theory. They are an option for Microsoft but they would need a huge budget which MS seems to not want to give to unproven IP's which is ironic with their position in the industry and their huge bank balance.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
JamesGarret said:

Also, if Phil Spencer were to decide that, in response to GOW, they´d make something similar, which one of their studios would he most likely pick to make the game?

People who like Xbox should hope MS isn't merely eyeballing GOW as something to be emulated, while Sony's studios continue to push forward with new ip's and ideas. They're already trying to squirt out a Horizon clone, which is kind of another sign that they don't "get it". I realize that there are going to be elements that bind games in the same genre, and even across different genres. But the best results seem to come from endeavors that are more organic in their origins, as opposed to corporately mandated, focus group tested games made in a virtual assembly line.

Are you referring to this?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/17/16900866/fable-reboot-playground-games-forza-horizon-xbox-one-release-date

"The powers that be at Microsoft, Eurogamer said, were inspired to create a single-player experience by the success of Guerrilla Games’ Horizon: Zero Dawn."

What is this obsession with first party games? When playing a game, whether said game is first or third party or second party is the last question on my mind.

lol, how is that answer “sad”? It’s a real answer. They can’t just build up numerous studios and shoot out great games in 1-2 years. It takes time. It took Sony a long time for their first party to be where it is. What fucked them up was Kinect last gen and how successful it was.

It’s impossible not to see the massive strides they’ve taken since Papa Phil took over. But you haven’t seen software yet because that takes a long ass time.

COKTOE said:
JamesGarret said:

People who like Xbox should hope MS isn't merely eyeballing GOW as something to be emulated, while Sony's studios continue to push forward with new ip's and ideas. They're already trying to squirt out a Horizon clone, which is kind of another sign that they don't "get it". I realize that there are going to be elements that bind games in the same genre, and even across different genres. But the best results seem to come from endeavors that are more organic in their origins, as opposed to corporately mandated, focus group tested games made in a virtual assembly line.

A clone of Horizon, which itself is just a clone of Ubisoft games. Where did you read they’re making a Horizon clone, lol.

Around the Network
JamesGarret said:
COKTOE said:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/17/16900866/fable-reboot-playground-games-forza-horizon-xbox-one-release-date

"The powers that be at Microsoft, Eurogamer said, were inspired to create a single-player experience by the success of Guerrilla Games’ Horizon: Zero Dawn."

No. Kind of? lol. I was referring to a story that broke in mid-June that was covered by most, if not all of the major gaming sites.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/19/microsoft-is-trying-their-hand-at-their-own-horizon-zero-dawn-style-game-according-to-job-listing/

I wasn't aware there was news of this as early as the story you linked to, nor did I know about the Fable connection.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

JamesGarret said:

Xbox has:
1- 343 - Halo
2- Turn 10 - Forza
3- Rare - Sea of theives
4- The Coalition - Gears of war

Multiplat - Lift London - mobile games?
Multiplat - Mojang - Minecraft

+ alot of 2nd party studios they work with.

Sony has:
1- Japan Studios - mix of things
2- Polyphony Digital - GT sports
3-Naughty Dog - Last of Us / Uncharted
4- Bend Studios - Days gone
5- San Diego Studio - MLB
6- Santa Monica studio - God of War
7- Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima
8- Pixelopus - Concrete Genie
9- Guerrila Games - Horizon Zero Dawn
10- London Studios - VR / Playroom / Singstar
11- North West Studios - VR?
12-Media Molecule - Littlebigplanet / Dreams

Xdev - mix of things / help others
Foster City Studio - mix of things / help others
Ice Team - Research technology / help others

Forwards Works - mobile games?

+ abit less 2nd party than Xbox has.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Interactive_Entertainment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

Aeolus451 said:
His words don't really fit their actions. Canceling games, closing studios and buying up already popular IPs are not signs of thinking in the long term.

I disagree.  Cancelling games and closing studios are, presumably, actions meant to ensure they're not putting out crap games.  That's important to the long term health of the brand and ecosystem.  

COKTOE said:
JamesGarret said:

No. Kind of? lol. I was referring to a story that broke in mid-June that was covered by most, if not all of the major gaming sites.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/19/microsoft-is-trying-their-hand-at-their-own-horizon-zero-dawn-style-game-according-to-job-listing/

I wasn't aware there was news of this as early as the story you linked to, nor did I know about the Fable connection.

Well, yeah, the rumor is that a new Fable is coming by the people who made Forza Horizon 3, Playground studios, and was apparently greenlit after Microsoft saw Horizon´s success.

If that´s true it´s still early in development and is most likely being saved for the next Xbox.

Bandorr said:
Sony invested a lot into new studios, new games, and making sure they had good relationships with a lot of companies.

Microsoft has been spending money on timed exclusives, closing studios, and cancelling games. Any relationship to japan/JRPGs feels completely gone.

Xbox had the same 10 years. And they have done nothing, they are actually gotten worse over time not better. They have cancelled big titles like Scalebound, and Fable. Crackdown 3 is no where to be seen

Thats true, really sad. Funny is: These are the same words as in the first XboxOne year by Microsoft -.- I have no interest in xbox (in future) and two of my friends have sold it. For microsoft is profit important, but not the players and gaming studios. The entire time after the Xbox360 shows it in my opinion. Microsoft is rich, but Sony develops the most expensive video game-productions in the last 7-10 years - and this is awesome for us, for the player. One of the reasons why many people have zero interest in xbox anymore.

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 15 April 2018