By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: God of War is a masterpiece and one of the most impressive games ever

Veknoid_Outcast said:
JRPGfan said:

When a game has like 70 scores of 9 or 10, and like 4 x 8 scores... you know its gonna be good.

Its not a 8-10 score game, its a 9/10 score'd one.
Those 8 score are the oddball's out... not quite "clickbait" level but there not what its mostly scored as.

I've seen this a couple times this morning. Outliers are not necessarily "clickbait" or troll reviews. Not every one feels the same way about God of War or The Last of Us or Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey. Different opinions and perspectives are healthy, and ensure all demographics are represented. As long as a reviewer explains his or her perspective in a convincing, honest way, I think we should respect those differences of opinion, and not disregard them outright as "clickbait."

Considering how much fanbases are invested in the games and the impact the score makes on the sales... if I were a reviewer I would avoid reviewing games for genres I don't like... I know Halo is fantastic, but I don't like the type of game, so my 70 wouldn't do justice even if it was my sincere analyse.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Masterpiece, I cant wait.

Well IGN gave fortnite mobile a 9.6 so this must be a 17.9

On a side note, its very sad how some hate that others enjoy a game they cant play or dont like.

LiquorandGunFun said:
Masterpiece, I cant wait.

Well IGN gave fortnite mobile a 9.6 so this must be a 17.9

On a side note, its very sad how some hate that others enjoy a game they cant play or dont like.

This is another reason for reviewers to be strange... and for me to believe they do take in consideration the platform (like if BotW was reviewed as a PS4 game it would have got points subtracted), because no way in a serious scale a mobile game should get a 9.6

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I've seen this a couple times this morning. Outliers are not necessarily "clickbait" or troll reviews. Not every one feels the same way about God of War or The Last of Us or Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey. Different opinions and perspectives are healthy, and ensure all demographics are represented. As long as a reviewer explains his or her perspective in a convincing, honest way, I think we should respect those differences of opinion, and not disregard them outright as "clickbait."

Considering how much fanbases are invested in the games and the impact the score makes on the sales... if I were a reviewer I would avoid reviewing games for genres I don't like... I know Halo is fantastic, but I don't like the type of game, so my 70 wouldn't do justice even if it was my sincere analyse.

I disagree. Critics aren't here to tell fanboys what they want to hear; they're here to inform. A well-written and informative review -- positive or negative -- will tell you if the game is right for you.

Pinkie_pie said:

Mario odyssey and Zelda botw are better. Both got 97 on metacritic

Warned ~ CGI

I dare you to go play this GOW and come back and make the same comment when done.....

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
DonFerrari said:

I disagree. Critics aren't here to tell fanboys what they want to hear; they're here to inform. A well-written and informative review -- positive or negative -- will tell you if the game is right for you.

Critics aren't also to evaluate something they don't like by standard as well... like someone that doesn't like racers evaluating GT or FM, doesn't like FPS analyzing CoD, etc... Fair criticism is completely different than harsh score due to different taste.

DonFerrari said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Critics aren't also to evaluate something they don't like by standard as well... like someone that doesn't like racers evaluating GT or FM, doesn't like FPS analyzing CoD, etc... Fair criticism is completely different than harsh score due to different taste.

Sorry, I don't understand what you wrote.

DonFerrari said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

It serves a purpose, someone who doesn't typically like fps games can look at review by someone who they know also usually dislikes fps games. If that reviewer gives it a good score then they know that even though they usually don't like that genre, they may still like this particular game.

An issue only really arises when combining all opinions into one, as with metacritic. While a review by someone who usually dislikes the genre does have a place, it's place isn't to be an outlier for an aggregate score.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DonFerrari said:

Someone who hates the genre isn't doing a objective analysis of that game with an accurate score for someone who enjoys the genre. And several or perhaps all of his criticisms would fall on the critics of the genre not the game or how he wanted the game to do and not if the game do what it stand to do.

Barkley said:
DonFerrari said:

It serves a purpose, someone who doesn't typically like fps games can look at review by someone who they know also usually dislikes fps games. If that reviewer gives it a good score then they know that even though they usually don't like that genre, they may still like this particular game.

An issue only really arises when combining all opinions into one, as with metacritic. While a review by someone who usually dislikes the genre does have a place, it's place isn't to be an outlier for an aggregate score.

If I don't like a specific type of game I won't even look for reviews of that game, there is already a lot of games on genres I like to play. We are talking about professional reviews and publications, they have the option to chose someone that understand the genre instead of someone who hates it. This isn't someone on youtube saying his individual preferences.

DonFerrari said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Someone who hates the genre isn't doing a objective analysis of that game with an accurate score for someone who enjoys the genre. And several or perhaps all of his criticisms would fall on the critics of the genre not the game or how he wanted the game to do and not if the game do what it stand to do.

Barkley said:

If I don't like a specific type of game I won't even look for reviews of that game, there is already a lot of games on genres I like to play. We are talking about professional reviews and publications, they have the option to chose someone that understand the genre instead of someone who hates it. This isn't someone on youtube saying his individual preferences.

None of this is objective, DonFerrari. Every review is the opinion of an individual man or woman. The idea is to find the review that matches your specific tastes.

Furthermore, it's foolish to think someone who likes a specific genre or series is somehow more worthy than someone who dislikes a specific genre or series. How is handing a review to someone inclined to praise a game any different from handing a review to someone disinclined to praise a game?

The more opinions and perspectives, the better. Your system would satisfy only publishers and the fanboys who worship them.