By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction- Mid gen Switch refresh 2020

That makes no sense.

Mind you, there's no guarantee that Nintendo won't do something utterly stupid, but such predictions are disturbing.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
That makes no sense.

Mind you, there's no guarantee that Nintendo won't do something utterly stupid, but such predictions are disturbing.

It would literally be the same thing they did with the NEW 3DS, just on a larger scale.  How does that make no sense?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
flashfire926 said:
What's the point of a switch revision if we won't get 1080p undocked

Being able to handle PS5 games at 1080p 60fps docked, or at all in handheld mode.

Even with upgrade it most likely won’t get 1080p 60fps PS5 games. Current switch is playing multiplats at 720p 30fps most of the time. So if the next revision will be able to play PS5 games at the same resolution it would be fine I guess. 

Shiken said:
flashfire926 said:
What's the point of a switch revision if we won't get 1080p undocked

Being able to handle PS5 games at 1080p 60fps docked, or at all in handheld mode.

I mean... it might get a lot closer to PS4... the difference between a Switch Pro and PS5 would be bigger than the difference between the current Switch and the PS4... Which already has games that porting would to the switch would be unfeasible, witcher 3 for example.

Switch - 0.4TF
PS4 - 1.84TF
PS5 - 10-12TF?

Creating an updated switch that can handle PS5 games just isn't feasible. Luckily as happened this generation, most third-party games will be cross-gen for a while. But even so I wouldn't expect major third party support in 2020 and beyond even with an upgraded switch, hell it's not exactly doing it now.

Shiken said:
RolStoppable said:
That makes no sense.

It would literally be the same thing they did with the NEW 3DS, just on a larger scale.  How does that make no sense?

When is Switch 2 supposed to launch?

Aside from that, when you start with a refresh "like PS4 Pro and Xbox One X" and then change it right afterwards to "like New 3DS", then there's really no sense in it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
Shiken said:

Even with upgrade it most likely won’t get 1080p 60fps PS5 games. Current switch is playing multiplats at 720p 30fps most of the time. So if the next revision will be able to play PS5 games at the same resolution it would be fine I guess. 

I am being idealistic when I say 1080p 60fps.  Honestly if we get a ballpark 1080p upscale at 30 fps, I call that a win for a hybrid (which is most likely what would happen).  This applies to PS5 games however.  Cross gen or PS4 games would be expected at 1080p 60fps on Switch 2.

Barkley said:
Shiken said:

I mean... it might get a lot closer to PS4... the difference between a Switch Pro and PS5 would be bigger than the difference between the current Switch and the PS4... Which already has games that porting would to the switch would be unfeasible, witcher 3 for example.

Switch - 0.4TF
PS4 - 1.84TF
PS5 - 10-12TF?

Creating an updated switch that can handle PS5 games just isn't feasible. Luckily as happened this generation, most third-party games will be cross-gen for a while. But even so I wouldn't expect major third party support in 2020 and beyond even with an upgraded switch, hell it's not exactly doing it now.

See my reply above.  Even if we get the games at sub 1080 at 30 fps (which is a sizable downgrade from 4k), I would be fine.  The whole 1080p 60fps is more idealistic or at least the standard for 1st party games.

As for 3rd party support, most AA games are coming to Switch.  The major 3rd party games would depend on how demanding they are.  For example, we have DOOM and Wolfenstein II, but no Battlefield 5.  I am holding off until E3 to put that final nail in the coffin as to how much 3rd party support the Switch is currently getting, but as of now yes it is pretty much AA and A teir games (which is fine next to a unified 1st party line up from Nintendo).

RolStoppable said:
Shiken said:

Aside from that, when you start with a refresh "like PS4 Pro and Xbox One X" and then change it right afterwards to "like New 3DS", then there's really no sense in it.

It would be like the NEW 3DS from the start.  I only referred to the PS4Pro and X1X due to them being what is most fresh in people's minds.

And I would expect it 2020, 3 years into its life (around the time the rumored PS5 would come out).  The OG Switch is fine for now, getting most AA and A 3rd party games with good indie support alongside the unified library from Nintendo 1st party IPs from handheld AND console divisions.  I am talking in terms of keeping up with at least AA and A games when the PS5 comes out, otherwise it would start to feel like just another handheld rather than a console/portable hybrid due to the extreme gap.  This is a result of releasing the Switch mid-gen, but with a refresh like the NEW 3DS they could make it work.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said: 
RolStoppable said:

It would be like the NEW 3DS from the start.  I only referred to the PS4Pro and X1X due to them being what is most fresh in people's minds.

And I would expect it 2020, 3 years into its life (around the time the rumored PS5 would come out).  The OG Switch is fine for now, getting most AA and A 3rd party games with good indie support alongside the unified library from Nintendo 1st party IPs from handheld AND console divisions.  I am talking in terms of keeping up with at least AA and A games when the PS5 comes out, otherwise it would start to feel like just another handheld rather than a console/portable hybrid due to the extreme gap.  This is a result of releasing the Switch mid-gen, but with a refresh like the NEW 3DS they could make it work.

Oh, I see. You really call the refresh Switch 2. Initially I thought that there would be Switch, "New Switch" (the refresh) and Switch 2. But you propose for Switch 2 to launch in 2020.

All this because of the faulty premise that Switch needs AAA third party support. Take a look at the sales data. Switch does not depend on AAA third party games to sell, so your assertion that Switch sells because of its processing power doesn't hold true. There's a glaring lack of sense in what you write; you don't say AAA, but you mean it anyway. But in case that "AA and A third party games" refers to Japanese games (after all, American and European publishers released barely anything so far), it makes no sense either. Japanese third parties aren't going to drive up the production values when the PS5 arrives, because right now they aren't even making an effort to harness the power of the PS4. Should you somehow refer to the likes of Square-Enix and Capcom, their games are skipping Switch already.

It's not clear to me which games exactly you mean, but regardless of which games you mean, it's clear that you believe in processing power as the fundamental factor for your whole reasoning. That premise is wrong. The games you are chasing after are the ones that Switch is already not getting now.

Barkley said:
BlackBeauty said:

2020 will be Switch 2. Using Xavier which will put on par with Xbox one X

Wow... just wow.

I think we need a memorial for your posts already:

"Switch will surpass XBO lifetime sales by November"

"When was the last time a cod game touch 15 million? Lol"

"Zelda BOTW will sell 17 - 20 million."

"Smash will be the best selling game this year."

"The PS4 is down YOY. Time for 5. "

"Splatoon will be a 15 million + LTD seller WW Can’t say that about MHW. It’s already in the discount bin"

It's an impressive resume, I look forward to you expanding it.

Please do and I will clock and book later on. I remember arguing with fan boys that odyssey won’t even touch Battlefront numbers. Lmao now where they at. Odyssey destroyed that game.

All of my statements are based on educated guesses.

- 8gb switch model with a brand new chip  already leaked through 5.0 firmware update. Nintendo is already preping a revision.

- X1 was used in self driving cars before being commercially available to use in tablets in 2016 and then switch in 2017.

- Its true successor tegra Xavier (Xbox one X equivalent in raw power) will be out this year. 

- Iwata already stated that the switch is adopting iOS ecosystem way before his death.

- Don’t be surprise that switch will get upgraded YEARLY like smartphones.

BlackBeauty said:

- Its true successor tegra Xavier (Xbox one X equivalent in raw power) will be out this year. 

Tegra Xavier chip has a 1.3TF GPU.... the XBO X GPU is 6TF.....

No a Switch 2 comparable to the XBO X will not launch in 2020. lmao

Barkley said:
BlackBeauty said:

Tegra Xavier chip has a 1.3TF GPU.... the XBO X GPU is 6TF.....

No a Switch 2 comparable to the XBO X will not launch in 2020. lmao

That’s not how TF works but go off. Xavier is leaps and bounds more advanced than anything inside the XBX. The Xbox is still using pretty ancient tech.

Nvidia and Nintendo signed a what 10 year plan for switch? And during the recent investor meeting for Nvidia, they were talking about their relationship with Nintendo. So we should expect custom made high performance chips based on Xavier. That’s not a reach.