By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Japan Studio working on Playstation All Stars 2? Fake?

Tmfwang said:
OTBWY said:

Are you absolutely positively sure about that?

No XD

but I’d guess more teenagers know about Geralt, than they know about any of those characters.

Meh, I'm not certain either. But as far as mainstream recognizable IP goes, there is no question that the iconic status of Sonic, Pacman and Megaman is incredible.

Around the Network

Mega Man's status as an icon is bigger than.his actual ... ya know ... GAMES

Tmfwang said:
OTBWY said:

I just disagree with this. I mean, we are ultimately comparing it to Smash if we like it or not. And in comparison, Sony just doesn't have to big recognizable iconic strength with its IP as let's say Pokemon, Mario or Zelda (Nintendo's big IP) and many smaller ones. They also have gotten good iconic third party characters in. Granted, Sony does have a wide range of 3rd party characters to choose from as well, but we didn't see that much last time, so I feel it won't happen this time. Do you see Megaman, Sonic, Pacman etc coming to this game?

I’d argue that Geralt for example is more known (or liked perhaps?) by todays gaming society than Sonic, megaman or pacman.

Here's what Google Trends has to say about this:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=sonic,geralt,pacman,megaman

KLAMarine said:
Tmfwang said:

I’d argue that Geralt for example is more known (or liked perhaps?) by todays gaming society than Sonic, megaman or pacman.

Does that account for spaces and hyphens? Since it may be even higher is Pac-Man and Mega Man are included as options.

Looks pretty fake but I'd love a new one, i really liked the first one but it needed way more polish...and a bigger budget...and a better roster :/

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
KLAMarine said:

Does that account for spaces and hyphens? Since it may be even higher is Pac-Man and Mega Man are included as options.

No, it does not account for spaces and hyphens or at least I don't believe it does...

Roster for the first game wasn't to my liking.

Kai_Mao said:

I do wonder how they'll compare to their Smash counterparts and I wonder how the audience will respond since they have an established moveset from Smash Bros. Ryu basically went with his fighting game mechanics from Street Fighter II, III, and IV, while Cloud used his Limit Breaks. What can PSAS2, whoever potentially develops the game, do to make them stand out in this possible installment without being almost direct clones from their Smash counterparts?

Doesn't need to be a direct Smash clone but I would prefer something like Injustice 2 with a bit of Smash flair in to it or unique flair into it.

OTBWY said:
twintail said:

I dont really get this sentiment tbqh. Not enough mainstream IP, sure. But the game doesn't need everyone to be mainstream characters to work. Sony has enough strong and semi-strong IPs to get appeal for the game (throwing in some 3rd party characters helps of course).

Ultimately what the game needs is a bigger budget, and a developer with more pedigree. 

I just disagree with this. I mean, we are ultimately comparing it to Smash if we like it or not. And in comparison, Sony just doesn't have to big recognizable iconic strength with its IP as let's say Pokemon, Mario or Zelda (Nintendo's big IP) and many smaller ones. They also have gotten good iconic third party characters in. Granted, Sony does have a wide range of 3rd party characters to choose from as well, but we didn't see that much last time, so I feel it won't happen this time. Do you see Megaman, Sonic, Pacman etc coming to this game?

There's no competition obviously because Mario, Zelda and especially Pokemon because it was cultivated and has other media alongside it.
But why does it need to compete with Smash though? I can argue that a lot Nintendo fans won't even bother looking into it because that is not Sony's market. It's the Playstation fans that will recognize Drake, Kratos, Knack, Hunter from Bloodborne, Cole, Toro, Kat, Aloy, Knignt From Demon Soul and the other Playstation owned characters. Then you have Spiderman that Marvel can lend because PS4 has an exclusive Spiderman game. Ryu or Hunter from MH or Dante again. Cloud, Geralt, Crash and Spyro. 

But this is still could be fake but I would want another PASBR but with more creative gameplay than the first one.

twintail said:
OTBWY said:

If you are comparing it to Nintendo IP then sure, but surely it makes sense to compare the IP in relation to the actual fanbase? Uncharted might not be at Zelda sales (overall) or even history, but that doesn't make it any less significant to the PS crowd as Zelda is to the Nintendo crowd, especially when sales for UC4 and BoTW are not that massive different from one another.

As long as they have some tent-pole IPs, they will have interest in the game. God of War, Horizon and Uncharted are 3 good starts. Ratchet, Bloodborne, Infamous and SotC less so, for examle.

3d party shouldnt even be a problem. Close ties with Activision mean Crash shouldnt be a huge problem to get. Sony are funding a Spider-man game so their relationship with Disney should allow that without much problems. Strong ties with Capcom should make SF, MH, DMC or MM possible too.

If SCEJ were actually developing the game (which I doubt) then they would have way more clout than what Superbot ever had - which was a big part of the problem for securing 3rd party characters.

So yeah actually I see 3rd party characters being easier to secure with Sony in the position they are now compared to back in the PS3, and having a more established dev attached.

"If you are comparing it to Nintendo IP then sure, but surely it makes sense to compare the IP in relation to the actual fanbase? Uncharted might not be at Zelda sales (overall) or even history, but that doesn't make it any less significant to the PS crowd as Zelda is to the Nintendo crowd, especially when sales for UC4 and BoTW are not that massive different from one another. 

As long as they have some tent-pole IPs, they will have interest in the game. God of War, Horizon and Uncharted are 3 good starts. Ratchet, Bloodborne, Infamous and SotC less so, for examle."

I don't believe sales need be drawn into the conversation, as we should be talking about mainstream (at least among gamers across all platforms) icons being able to draw crowd in. Smash does that successfully by the fault of having so many great characters. The argument is just that while Sony does have N. Drake and other good recognizable characters, there's just less to choose from. Which in turn makes it less appealing. Now, having said that, I do not believe these two installbases are separate from each other. Switch owners could have Playstations too (like me) or vice versa. I believe they do compete for that same space in the party brawler genre.

"
3d party shouldnt even be a problem. Close ties with Activision mean Crash shouldnt be a huge problem to get. Sony are funding a Spider-man game so their relationship with Disney should allow that without much problems. Strong ties with Capcom should make SF, MH, DMC or MM possible too.

If SCEJ were actually developing the game (which I doubt) then they would have way more clout than what Superbot ever had - which was a big part of the problem for securing 3rd party characters."

I still think that even with whatever 3rd party characters they can muster, it is going to have less recognizable ones compared to Smash. Besides, I don't believe Capcom will give out multiple IP.

"
So yeah actually I see 3rd party characters being easier to secure with Sony in the position they are now compared to back in the PS3, and having a more established dev attached."

Meh, All Stars was released in 2012 at which Sony was already doing great on multiple fronts. Even if development began in 2009, they could have gotten way more through DLC. I just believe that the game wasn't very appealing to 3rd party devs at that time.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
OTBWY said:

There's no competition obviously because Mario, Zelda and especially Pokemon because it was cultivated and has other media alongside it.
But why does it need to compete with Smash though? I can argue that a lot Nintendo fans won't even bother looking into it because that is not Sony's market. It's the Playstation fans that will recognize Drake, Kratos, Knack, Hunter from Bloodborne, Cole, Toro, Kat, Aloy, Knignt From Demon Soul and the other Playstation owned characters. Then you have Spiderman that Marvel can lend because PS4 has an exclusive Spiderman game. Ryu or Hunter from MH or Dante again. Cloud, Geralt, Crash and Spyro. 

But this is still could be fake but I would want another PASBR but with more creative gameplay than the first one.

By the virtue of Sony making it like Smash in many aspects? I feel like Sony made the game just to have a Smash like game. That's not wrong, but it does set it up to be compared with Smash.

And as I said, I do not believe these two platforms have isolated fanbases. Many of them could own both, and buy both. Ergo, the games both compete for that space.