By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Far Cry 5 video on feed question: Treatment of Conservatives

Recently saw a video from a creator called 'No Bullshit' appear on my feed called 'Far Cry 5 Confuseds SJWs because Conservatives aren't Monsters'. Because I refuse to support people who make videos like that (mostly because whenever I see such a tag it's about things like there being female pirates in that Ubisoft pirate game or non-white soldiers in the U.S Army in CoD 2017, which is actually historically accurate) and do not want the videos clogging up my feed I have not clicked on it, but I am curious if anyone is familiar with what he is going on about. 

Is it because the game didn't have every person in Montana act blodothirsty and that apparently confused 'SJWs'? Is it something else? 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Rule #1 : Never watch "No Bullshit". One of the worst content creators I've ever seen.

Rule #2 : Follow rule #1

Anyways I'm pretty sure his video is just in response to a preview where a couple of game journalists talked about their experience with it. He pretty much misrepresents their point, which is : "From a writing perspective, it is confusing what this game is going for. It tries to balance humor, over the top critique, and genuine humanity with it's conservatives and it doesn't do any of them particularly well. It gets really confusing what the tone of the game is and it's just not all that well thought out". I haven't played the game, but ironically enough, I too kind of got the impression from the game when I was watching videos from it ...

A literal quote from the video : "Why is this feminine looking half-black dude even reviewing video games like this to begin with." Which is in response to ..... someone not liking something in a game. I don't think people like No Bullshit get the irony in that.

In general, it's much more of a critique of the tone rather than them just sitting around going "le dumb condsevateijs ain't human!" But it doesn't make an interesting video to not use hyperbole to the thousandth degree, so No Bullshit has to just stereotype the journalists to get views.

Edit: Yeah this comment was confusing from me at the time, I took the video and essentially used it to talk about something that I had thought was related instead of the video at hand so I don't know what I was even commenting or thinking to begin with, I think I got it mixed up with some of the things that were going out about the game at the time and discussed that instead which this was not the right place to do so. It was when I was talking a lot about how nobody on either "side" of things should be grouped up and looked at as one as it's not that black and white, and I thought this game and some of the conversation around it at the time was furthering that with the idea of going into it with expectations it would be about certain things or portraying something in a certain way, but it will always end up depending on where you look to begin with and I shouldn't have worded it the way I did. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 16 August 2021

FloatingWaffles said:
Basically, when Far Cry 5 was revealed there were a group of people who automatically assumed that because the game had a cult of people who were mostly white and was set in America that it was going to be about fighting racists or Republicans or something like that (which says a lot about how they view things in the first place if they just immediately jumped to that conclusion based off of that), despite the fact that the game made it abundantly clear since the first trailer that it was a religious cult in the game that you are fighting and nothing to do with anything else.

Now those people are angry that they didn't get the "fight racist white people/Republicans" political game they desperately wanted apparently, and are trying to claim that Ubisoft "backed out" of a more serious story, when they only have themselves to blame for trying to act like it was ever going to be that in the first place when it was apparent it wasn't.

Go back and watch the video before commenting :^)

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
FloatingWaffles said:
Basically, when Far Cry 5 was revealed there were a group of people who automatically assumed that because the game had a cult of people who were mostly white and was set in America that it was going to be about fighting racists or Republicans or something like that (which says a lot about how they view things in the first place if they just immediately jumped to that conclusion based off of that), despite the fact that the game made it abundantly clear since the first trailer that it was a religious cult in the game that you are fighting and nothing to do with anything else.

Now those people are angry that they didn't get the "fight racist white people/Republicans" political game they desperately wanted apparently, and are trying to claim that Ubisoft "backed out" of a more serious story, when they only have themselves to blame for trying to act like it was ever going to be that in the first place when it was apparent it wasn't.

I did watch the video. 

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

I did watch the video. 

Wow, that's amazing then! I wonder then why you didn't criticize any of the stupid ass shit the content creator said, or why you instantly stereotyped people critiquing the execution of a concept as being against an entire group of people not being stereotyped. :thinking: It's almost like you had a preconceived notion of people and then made a judgement based on that. 

FloatingWaffles said:

I did watch the video. 

Wow, that's amazing then! I wonder then why you didn't criticize any of the stupid ass shit the content creator said, or why you instantly stereotyped people critiquing the execution of a concept as being against an entire group of people not being stereotyped. :thinking: It's almost like you had a preconceived notion of people and then made a judgement based on that. 

Because I don't care about the content creator? I don't like that dude's content either, yeah he does say some dumb shit. I'm just commenting what I saw as well when the game was first revealed, which goes into the topic of the video where people are saying they are confused, but that's because they let themselves have expectations based on what they thought about stuff personally. If people are 'confused' that conservatives in the game are being treated differently than they thought they would or that the game would be about something else, then that's because they set their own expectations that they were going to be treated as such. 

Also, how on earth did I stereotype anyone? I'm literally writing what actually happened. When the game was revealed there were people hoping it would be that type of game, I saw plenty of comments about that. Not my fault if you don't like me pointing it out, I guess.

FloatingWaffles said:

I did watch the video. 

As did I.  It looks like a bunch of snowflake bay area babies with such a narrow perception and understanding of the world outside of their fragile bubble.

FloatingWaffles said:

Because I don't care about the content creator? I don't like that dude's content either. I'm just commenting what I saw as well when the game was first revealed, which goes into the topic of the video where people are saying they are confused, but that's because they let themselves have expectations based on what they thought about stuff personally. If people are 'confused' that conservatives in the game aren't being portrayed as monsters, then that's because they set their own expectations that they were going to be treated as such. 

Also, how on earth did I stereotype anyone? I'm literally writing what actually happened. When the game was revealed there were people hoping it would be that type of game, I saw plenty of comments about that. Not my fault if you don't like me pointing it out, I guess.

So this is where the excuses start coming out. The thread is LITERALLY ABOUT the content creators content and you're not going to critique that when it's convenient? 

I don't dislike what you are saying because you are "calling it out", by the way, really who gives a shit anymore what journalists are called out for anymore. I dislike what you're saying because it's literally wrong. Despite everyone overreacting and downvoting the hell out of Gamespot's video, it's pretty clear what happened was that content creators like No Bullshit saw an easy target and decided to misinterpret the journalists. Literally go to the video and give me a timestamp to where they said "duhhh duhhh I'm confused because conservicukcs arnt monsters duhh duhh". Once you show me that I will agree with you. Until then it looks like you just grabbed onto the same misreprsentation that everyone else did

FloatingWaffles said:

Because I don't care about the content creator? I don't like that dude's content either. I'm just commenting what I saw as well when the game was first revealed, which goes into the topic of the video where people are saying they are confused, but that's because they let themselves have expectations based on what they thought about stuff personally. If people are 'confused' that conservatives in the game aren't being portrayed as monsters, then that's because they set their own expectations that they were going to be treated as such. 

So this is where the excuses start coming out. The thread is LITERALLY ABOUT the content creators content and you're not going to critique that when it's convenient? 

I don't dislike what you are saying because you are "calling it out", by the way, really who gives a shit anymore what journalists are called out for anymore. I dislike what you're saying because it's literally wrong. Despite everyone overreacting and downvoting the hell out of Gamespot's video, it's pretty clear what happened was that content creators like No Bullshit saw an easy target and decided to misinterpret the journalists. Literally go to the video and give me a timestamp to where they said "duhhh duhhh I'm confused because conservicukcs arnt monsters duhh duhh". Once you show me that I will agree with you. Until then it looks like you just grabbed onto the same misreprsentation that everyone else did

What? I'm not making excuses, if that sounded like one then that wasn't what I meant, I was just commenting more on the whole topic of how people let their own expectations blur their view on what Far Cry 5 actually was rather than the dude's entire video honestly.  Like, I can see what you mean where it does look like I conveniently ignored the rest of the video and what the dude said, and I agree it seems like that, but that wasn't my intention at least. I also edited my original post to try to be a little more clear anyway about what I was saying.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 05 April 2018