By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. April bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

gtjay1982 said:
Omg someone said Smash will only sell 12 million copies, possibly as low as 10 million. The horror!

Thats clearly not what people are arguing about. We are arguing about his stupid logic.

2 versions of Smash 4 were released in 2014, 3DS sold ~9 million while Wii U sold ~5 million for a total of ~14 million. He said the new one wont be very big and used the Wii U version to support his argument.

After getting called out for nonsense reasoning he backpeddles and says 10-12 million which isnt actually a bad prediction since its above the higher sku of Smash 4 but below the 2 skus combined.

Selling 10-12 million isnt a bad prediction and are very strong sales so it made no sense for his previous argument to be that the new one wont sell very big and used Smash Wii U to support that claim.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

This is why you need to start quantifying things because this just feels like backpeddling.

Your quote was, "i honestly dont think SSB will be that big"

So 12 million is the point where a game goes from "not that big" to big?

In that case, its unlikely that GOW or Spider Man will be big.

What i mean not that big, i'm talking in comparison to zelda, and 3d mario, where they are posed to break all records, because of how much they changed the formula. smash will be the same old, and it wont see a huge upgrade in graphics over smash wiiu, i thinking it won't even do 10 million. 

I highly doubt it will shake up the formula like BOTW/SMO did either but i dont really think it needs to.

Look at Mario Kart 8. The Switch release is just an updated port of the Wii U release with a few extras yet it will outsell the Wii U version in under a year and will easily sell 2-3x as much lifetime. Many of these extra sales are probably from people who owned a 3DS but not a Wii U so MK8D is a huge improvement over MK7.

A similar result is highly likely for Smash, it will outsell the Wii U release by the end of the year, will likely sell 2-3x as much lifetime and for 3DS owners who didnt own a Wii U it will be a huge leap forward.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

GoW #5 on the yearlies.

Vizigoth04 said:
GoW #5 on the yearlies.

Its the highest selling game on amazon all year long... and its still 3days until release.

The "pre-orders" for god of war, beat any game's sales on Amazon in 2018.

Kerotan said:
Jesus gow sold out again

Its sold out on amazon like 3-4 times now..... doesnt seem like Amazon ordered enough stock originally (or they just vastly underestimated its sales potential).

Vizigoth04 said:
GoW #5 on the yearlies.

Wow, first week sales will be otherworldly!

Around the Network

If amazon pre-orders are above Monster Hunter World total PS4 sales and Monster Hunter is at 580k right now(PS4), minimum launch for 1st week in the U.S. seems like an easy 600K right?

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Vizigoth04 said:
GoW #5 on the yearlies.

Wow, first week sales will be otherworldly!

Ive often heard that Sony fans only use exclusives in list wars, but dont support their games.
Im pretty sure God of War isnt going to have that problem.

I think GoW4 could become the #1 best selling exclusive first few week this gen in the US. Halo 5 did around 1.3m fw in the US and thats #1 so GoW could do 1.4-1.5m in April.

UK - God of War - We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

But is the only Amazon outlet to have Shenmue 1 & 2 HD available for pre-order?

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

What i mean not that big, i'm talking in comparison to zelda, and 3d mario, where they are posed to break all records, because of how much they changed the formula. smash will be the same old, and it wont see a huge upgrade in graphics over smash wiiu, i thinking it won't even do 10 million. 

I highly doubt it will shake up the formula like BOTW/SMO did either but i dont really think it needs to.

Look at Mario Kart 8. The Switch release is just an updated port of the Wii U release with a few extras yet it will outsell the Wii U version in under a year and will easily sell 2-3x as much lifetime. Many of these extra sales are probably from people who owned a 3DS but not a Wii U so MK8D is a huge improvement over MK7.

A similar result is highly likely for Smash, it will outsell the Wii U release by the end of the year, will likely sell 2-3x as much lifetime and for 3DS owners who didnt own a Wii U it will be a huge leap forward.

mario kart is a much bigger franchise then smash. it will be interesting to see how strong smash is on one platform.