By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How open/secretive are you on the internet?

PwerlvlAmy said:
pretty secret, no one knows im secretly carmen sandiego

Guess the cats outta the bag.

BraLoD said:
I'm so secretive nobody even knows I'm actually a woman.

That explains everything.

Mr.Playstation said:
There really is no need to make a personal problem post on the internet nowadays, just look up "Insert Problem here" reddit on google and someone will have already made a post about it.

I try to keep my personal and internet life separate usually.

My thoughts exactly. 

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
There really is no need to make a personal problem post on the internet nowadays, just look up "Insert Problem here" reddit on google and someone will have already made a post about it.

Well, I find it helpful to talk about my problems though, just reading about them doesn't have the same effect.

VGPolyglot said:
Mr.Playstation said:

Well, I find it helpful to talk about my problems though, just reading about them doesn't have the same effect.

I see your point of view, sometimes you need to vent as well.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mr.Playstation said:
VGPolyglot said:

I see your point of view, sometimes you need to vent as well.

Oh, trust me, it's much more than just sometimes

I'm more private now than I used to be. It's funny you made this thread, because I'm not sure precisely how to compose a PM I said I was going to send to somebody.....:) Having said that, I can still be fairly open. One member has successfully extracted certain things from me in PM's....I'm not sure to what extent, if any, these things have been shared, but the member in question is cool in my book regardless.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

So as somebody with high-functioning autism, one of the most fundamental traits of autism is the lack of thinking in terms of self-relevant information. See: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091213214104.htm

So I often tell people whom I barely know extremely personal things (without having a concept that they are overly personal), and that includes on the internet, without thinking too much about the consequences of doing so. I do more often filter what I say now, than in the past though, after feeling the consequences of being too open a few times.

In real-life, I am a much more private person because there are more damning social consequences than in online interactions, but I am generally egocentric/self-centered overall.

The internet somewhat insulates a person from many of the social consequences of real life, and it therefore allows one to act in what are otherwise deemed as socially inappropriate ways.

Hiku said:
I rarely talk about my personal life unless I'm asked, or some detail of it is relevant to a subject. These days at least.

Back in the day when I was active on other forums, I often became friends with people, so in those cases it felt appropriate to share personal stories. But these days I usually don't make connections like that with people online.

Do you not make connections due to weariness, or is it just that you haven't found people that you share enough interests with?

Hiku said:
VGPolyglot said:

Do you not make connections due to weariness, or is it just that you haven't found people that you share enough interests with?

Neither. I've interacted with a number of people here on this forum for example that I share enough interests with that I probably would have considered making friends with them in the past. But because it's not something I'm actively looking for, and wouldn't know if it's something they are interested in either, I tend to not think about it.

I think the biggest difference may be that I find it difficult to make personal connections only through posts, usually. Because when I think back, most of the people I met online and either considered friends, or felt comfortable enough to share personal stories with, I interacted with through some type of chat at some point.
I feel it's easier click with someone when there's not a 50 minute delay between each response, and people behave a bit differently in those type of environments.
For example, in a chat I could talk about whatever I want (within reason), whenever I want, without worrying about going "off topic" right?

Yeah, that makes sense.

COKTOE said:

I'm more private now than I used to be. It's funny you made this thread, because I'm not sure precisely how to compose a PM I said I was going to send to somebody.....:) Having said that, I can still be fairly open. One member has successfully extracted certain things from me in PM's....I'm not sure to what extent, if any, these things have been shared, but the member in question is cool in my book regardless.

Don't worry, I'll keep your secrets private.

PwerlvlAmy said:
pretty secret, no one knows im secretly carmen sandiego

Where in the world are you?