By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix announces Star Ocean FES! A new game is probably on the way.

shikamaru317 said:

Didn't 5 kind of flop? From what I'm reading, in 6 months PS4 + PS3 combined Japanese sales for 5 just barely beat the first 4 days sales for the 360 version of 4. 4 managed to sell over 1.5m on 360+PS3 according to VGC numbers, 5 has apparently only sold 500k physical so far (probably around 750k with digital). I'll be kind of surprised if we get 6 so soon after 5 flopped, they'll probably take a longer break to consider how to improve the series and get the sales numbers back up where they used to be. 

You have to take into account just how little effort they did with SOV though. I can't imagine it lost much money if at all, of course it surely didn't make much either.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Didn't 5 kind of flop? From what I'm reading, in 6 months PS4 + PS3 combined Japanese sales for 5 just barely beat the first 4 days sales for the 360 version of 4. 4 managed to sell over 1.5m on 360+PS3 according to VGC numbers, 5 has apparently only sold 500k physical so far (probably around 750k with digital). I'll be kind of surprised if we get 6 so soon after 5 flopped, they'll probably take a longer break to consider how to improve the series and get the sales numbers back up where they used to be. 

What definition of flop are you using for this one? Star Ocean 5 absolutely had a budget under 20 million.  Just the 500k figure alone would be enough to pay back development and then some. Lets just pretend 250k figure for DD is real; that is even better. That is money going straight to SE without cuts from anybody but from SONY service. For a JRPG that was made on such a low budget those a great figures. A JRPG that has sold at least 500k is bomb? It's not logical.

VGPolyglot said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:
to be honest, i wouldn't expect a new star ocean for consoles

Well, I think that Star Ocean 5 bombed, didn't it?

were way under expectation, that's why i don't see a new try a bigger project for consoles