By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XB1 vs PS3/360 Hardware & Software - 50 Months In

PS3 after 50 months hardware and software:

360 after 50 months hardware and software:

Hardware combined after 50 months = 86,012,068
Hardware combined as of January 2010 = 72,117,912

Software combined after 50 months = 677,557,855
Software combined as of January 2010 = 544,969,840

PS4 and Xbox One after 50 months hardware and software:

Hardware combined = 110,853,545

Software combined = 744,207,884

Some notes:

• If you look at both at 50 months from the start of the generation, the PS4 has actually sold more than PS3/360 combined.
  • The 360 is well and truly ahead of the One, especially in software units.
  • The PS3 seems to be in a different sales class as the 360/One for the same time on the market.
  • The PS4/X1 are already at 110 million hardware sales, it's more likely that it will surpass the 170 million units the PS3/360 sold.

In a nutshell, the core gaming industry has been more successful this generation. Keep in mind that these are VGChartz numbers so it's not by any means 100% accurate. But also keep in mind that this doesn't take into account digital software sales, as we already know that by January 1st 2018 the PS4 had sold 645 million software units including digital. Xbox One is probably 300 million or so too.

What are your thoughts, just in general really?

Around the Network

Thoughts? The demise of the Sony, Microsoft leaving the gaming industry and 3rd parties collapsing has to wait yet another generation.

Considering the rise of digital, PlayStation 4's software sales are truly staggering.

What I am seeing is how the XB1 isn't keeping to pace qith thw 360. Honestly didn't think that was the case.

It's a HUGE improvement the PS4 from the PS3. Easily it's going to end in the range of 130+ millions.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
It's a HUGE improvement the PS4 from the PS3. Easily it's going to end in the range of 130+ millions.

I don't see 130+.

110 at most.  especially if PS5 is BC which is likely gonna shut down PS4 sales completely 

Train wreck said:
Thoughts? The demise of the Sony, Microsoft leaving the gaming industry and 3rd parties collapsing has to wait yet another generation.

Well, let's not be too hasty, there's still time left in this gen for that to happen!

Intrinsic said:
What I am seeing is how the XB1 isn't keeping to pace qith thw 360. Honestly didn't think that was the case.

Especially when you consider 360 has yet to enter its peak when the S model & Kinect gave it a huge boost.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think ps360 will end up winning,because of Xbone not being able to keep up and both 360 and ps3 having long lifespans and healthy sales

MasterThief said:
kazuyamishima said:

I don't see 130+.

110 at most.  especially if PS5 is BC which is likely gonna shut down PS4 sales completely 

When 2018 ends, and PS4 is at like ~95m.... you ll know that "110 at most"  cannot be right.
its a really low estimate for its lifetime sales.