By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash online = poop

‘Super Smash Bros’ seen as Nintendo’s key into esports

https://www.ft.com/content/88114ef0-2a8b-11e8-9b4b-bc4b9f08f381

Super Smash Bros for Switch is Nintendo's Key into Esports

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/15/super-smash-bros-for-switch-is-nintendos-key-into-esports

This was my reason for creating this thread. Have these people ever even tried to play Smash online? It ruins the game from the heavy lag. It isn't fun so why would I believe Smash would have lag free online if they have yet to achieve it in three iterations of Smash.

I recently tried giving Smash on 3DS a try online to see if somehow they actually fixed the biggest flaw of the game online.  Nope it sucked completely.  First match was almost bearable but still wasn't fun due to input lag and watching characters float across the screen.  The second match was terrible.  I had to just turn it off in the middle of the match and I don't think I'll ever try it again.

Around the Network
RingoGaSuki said:

I played 1000~ online matches in Smash 3DS and never had more than a second or two of lag in a couple of matches on my shithouse internet (1mbps down, 0.5mbps up a couple of years ago).

Well I must be one unlucky fellow because it was terrible the time I played it.  I haven't even touched Wii U version online of Smash because of the shit taste Brawl online left in my mouth.

My internet is 1 GBPs with WiFi speeds usually just hitting at around a stable 15-18 mbps.  I only have my computer hooked up through ethernet connections.  I don't do much online gaming though.

Come to think of it maybe you haven't experienced that much lag because your the one lagging everyone else... Needless to say I won't ever give 3DS version a try online again.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 27 March 2018

mZuzek said:

Well.

Tournaments aren't played online.

Oh forgot people actually get together for that shit still.  I'll try not to laugh at esports too much.

Still it kills any caring of online ladder system or ranking system.  Who cares if your the best at slow motion Smash?

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 27 March 2018

Without having any actual knowledge, I would have to assume one benefit of Nintendo moving to a paid service is so that they could fund dedicated servers for their games. If that is not part of their plan, then we all lose.