By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what is the most underrated (non-online) game in your opinion?

Kirby series, easiest answer ever

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

The Evil Within 2

Seventizz said:
MasterThief said:

no I just like single player games and if I say multiplayer everyone here will say Rainbow 6 siege and Titanfall 2. 

but I digress. personally. I don't consider "games" that don't have that much story context as SoT a game anymore. they are more of a hobby.

I totally disagree and I'm at the opposite side of the fence.  I don't see what a story has to do with a videogame.  I'm 3 days into SoTs and I've had more memorable moments than I've ever had in a SP story heavy game.

By your logic, is PacMan not a great videogame?  There's no story in that and many would argue it's the most recognized videogame character on the planet.

Story has nothing to do with the direct fun factor in games...it does matter though. 

I used to say the exact same thing...until I tried to make a game myself. It isn't until you tell the story and imagine it unfold as reality... that the notion of story meaning almost everything is reality. 

See..it is the story in which we draw our characters and all of their attributes. Their power ups...attire... accessories...and even personality. From those characteristics we develop art which translates to the game through its animation and environment. Basically the story is indicative to the way the game plays. What I ever meant by story not mattering...is it doesn't have to make sense or be plausible in order for the game to be fun.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Resident Evil 4. 10/10 is NOT ENOUGH!

We need a new score! 100/10 but ONLY for RE4!

When it comes to story in games, I very much prefer the stories that take advantage of the medium, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, the first Bioshock, Fire Emblem Awakening, and the Telltale games. Games that merely attempt to ape movies, like Uncharted, really just bring into focus how much better movies with similar stories are, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. When the gameplay is also just ok, the story doesn't help the game. Telltale's games, while the gameplay sections are terrible, are basically interactive stories, where the player's decisions have subtle effects on how characters respond to you. Mass Effect truly becomes your story. Bioshock is a fascinating commentary on the nature of videogame stories. While seemingly simpler than other Fire Emblems, Fire Emblem Awakening's story meshes perfectly with its various systems. The theme of bonds between the characters which permeates the story makes the pair-up, support, marriage, and children systems much more worthwhile, and gives the permadeath system more punch. The story makes the gameplay better and vice versa.

Around the Network

Alpha Protocol, Super Paper Mario, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Pid, Wario World, Rayman Legends, (Was acclaimed but went under the radar) Kirby's Epic Yarn, Bioshock 2 and the Pikmin series in general.

Wizardry 8

antigin said:
Might & Magic VII

VI-VIII all where criminally underrated due to their outdated graphics. Personally I prefer VIII over VII because of the nonstandard classes (even though they botched their balancing pretty much)