By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves - Metacritic/Review thread - Metascore: XBO - 69 (69 reviews) PC - 68 (23 reviews)

pitzy272 said:
flashfire926 said:
A little of topic, but all these varied rating systems being combined into one score makes things sketchy.

Like, 3/5 might mean 60%, but if that same site used a 100-point scale they would not give 60/100. Works the other way as well. 3/5 comes off as "good", 60/100 comes as "mediocre"

If someone gives a game 5/5 it doesn't always mean 100/100. If the same reviewer used a 100-point scale the game could easily be in the 90-95 range. Again, 5/5 comes off as "excellent", but 100/100 comes off as a "masteerpiece"

But that’s how those ratings have been for every game for a long time, so it’s still an even playing field. 

Yeah true. I'm not making excuse for sea of thieves. I would rather have the reviews thoughts being displayed more accurately. For every game.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

*71%

Seventizz said:
*71%

updated

Played a bit more today. Still not feeling it much, but man, when it clicks, it's pretty awesome. I guess the only question is, how often would it click for me? Probably not very often. Outside of a few streamers, no one on my friends list plays it much. It really is a game like Destiny where it has almost nothing to do with the content you're playing and everything to do with who you're playing it with.

I completed my first voyage, finally. I left the outpost sailing for a small island. When I left, the weather was calm. But on the way to the island it started raining and a storm hit. The water in the game really is amazing. You see, hear, and feel the difference in the waves once the weather gets rough. My voyage was one of the "initiation" voyages, so my destination was literally a straight shot from the outpost. But even with it being a straight shot, thanks to the winds and waves throwing my boat around, I ended up sailing left and away from the island. Eventually I was able to turn around and anchor on the beach.

As soon as I touched the sand on the beach, skeletons started spawning. It was pretty cool, sword fighting skeletons, blasting others. But meh, it got pretty old. Eventually I was just hoping they'd stop spawning. Maybe the strength of your enemies changes depending on your crew size, idk. But these guys were just boring. I made my way to the X spot on my treasure map and dug, unearthing my quest prize. As soon as I picked it up the skeletons spawning seemed to be stronger. More of them had swords, some of them now even had guns. I almost died just casually walking my chest back to my boat because I didn't realize two of them were shooting me.

So I make my way back to the outpost. The weather is still rough. As I get ready to anchor, I look in the distance and see a giant boat just sitting there in the ocean, off by another island. I tuck that away for now. I turn my chest in and get some coins. What are the coins for? Fuck if I know, the game literally tells you nothing.

I get back on my boat and go to investigate the big boat. I had no real plan, but I figured if nothing else, I'd maybe abandon my boat and steal theirs, Captain Jack Sparrow style. However, as I neared the boat, I realized cannonballs were raining down all around me. Not only from the ship, but from the island itself. Turns out it is a fort. I am dodging cannon balls and trying to maneuver my small ship around to get a good line of sight on the big ship to try and blow it to smithereens. I miss a ton of shots but do line up one good one and hit the front hull.

Our little battle continues awhile and then they really start tearing into me. I get hit a good 4-5 times at least by cannon balls, all I hear is splintering wood. So I decide I'll try to hop aboard their ship. I figured since I was being pelted by cannon balls from the fort, maybe only 1-2 people were on the ship. I line my boat up, run across the deck and up the bowsprit and leap on board... only to find 4 people there. So who the fuck is tearing into me from the fort? I wonder if AI attacks you from the fort. That's incredible if so. As I ponder that, I run to a cannon being operated by some female pirate as she bombards the fort, and I kill her with my gun. The other three are on me with swords immediately, I feebly try to shoot one of them a couple times but miss badly and they finally kill me until I die from it.

Session over. Very fun, indeed. I can see groups with imagination having tons of fun on this. Not for me, though. Imho they need to make big combat changes. It doesn't have to be something like Destiny with classes and unique abilities or skill trees or anything, just give us more combat options.

EGM - 6/10

Sea of Thieves’ world isn’t completely lacking in achievement, thanks to its luscious visuals and excellent sailing mechanics, but it feels completely undercooked in terms of actual gameplay. Perhaps ironically, Sea of Thieves feels like the skeleton of a game rather than a fully realized experience. Rare promises that more content is coming, but judging on what the game offers now, it’s a journey not worth taking—at least not yet.

Around the Network

At this point it doesn't matter whether its final metascore is 65 or 75. It would have needed to be at least 85 to drive takeup for XB1X and GamePass, probably higher.

Sordel said:
At this point it doesn't matter whether its final metascore is 65 or 75. It would have needed to be at least 85 to drive takeup for XB1X and GamePass, probably higher.

Over a million+ people have played it so far, meta means nothing for this game. Word of mouth has been enough to get a lot of people playing it.

Watching it on Youtube it really looks like a game that could be awesome if they flesh out the end-game. Definitely looks like a ton of fun if you have a group of friends to play with.

Libara said:
Sordel said:

Over a million+ people have played it so far, meta means nothing for this game. Word of mouth has been enough to get a lot of people playing it.

This number means nothing though with second accounts and Game Pass trials included.

Errorist76 said:
Libara said:

This number means nothing though with second accounts and Game Pass trials included.

Except SoT is currently sitting at the number 2 spot in the xbox paid games list so its clearly getting good sales, and you can't transfer your character over accounts so if you made another account you would have a fresh character. If someone wants to play it that badly but not pay the full price they would just get game pass.