By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Yakuza for me?

Combat is different.
Shenmue is better in regards to the amount of moves and you can perform anything you like, Yakuza is predefined combos with brutal heat mode moves.

Don't assume you will like Yakuza, it's story is the main selling point of their games imo.

Around the Network

Be prepared for tons of cut-scenes, too much for me.

COKTOE said:

Most every aspect of Yakuza is objectively superior to Shenmue, and I feel Yakuza is in another strata of gaming quality. IMO (™)(®). The difference in control setup alone, which is kind of important....is huge. Yakuza does have more action yes, but also some nice RPG elements. Leveling up your character, weapons, crafting. In general, there's lots to do. Great story, excellent voice acting. Even the side stories/mission are fantastic. I could go into more detail, but I'll just say go for it, and If you don't hate Jim Sterling, here's a lovely video he made earlier this month focusing on the world and map design, which, much like the 2 videos he made for Yakuza 0, is very positive. The footage in the video doesn't offer much, as it essentially loops from what I remember, so it's more about what he's saying than anything else.

KazumaKiryu said:
umegames said:

Been thinking about getting into the Yakuza series, and I'm just looking for some insight from you all. 

Once was told it's in likeness to shenmue, which i did truly enjoy on the Dreamcast back in the day, is that an accurate comparison? 

Also, if i do jump in, do i need to start with 0 or can i do 1 first? asking because 1 currently sales for $16 with GCU @ bestbuy, while 0 is still $40.

100 % YES!

Yakuza has it all - an incredibly exciting story, lots of interesting characters, great gameplay with lots of mini-games, an incredible atmosphere and an extensive combat system. Shenmue fans have been loving Yakuza for a long time. It's time for you to play and enjoy it too :)

Start with Yakuza Zero or Yakuza Kiwami.

thanks! these helped alot!

Umegames, update us when you get fully roped in like the rest of us. You'll have "Kiryu-chan!" as message notification on your phone in no time.

Yakuza is for anyone with the money to buy it. You don’t even need a system to play it on, just let it sit in it’s case on the shelf.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Umegames, update us when you get fully roped in like the rest of us. You'll have "Kiryu-chan!" as message notification on your phone in no time.

will do lol

So this thread is not about joining Japanese Mafia?

BeardedDragon said:

hahaha good one

BeardedDragon said:

Expect an invitation from Kazama-san if you are worthy.

Hey Umegames, what do you think so far? I'm curious. I've been so busy side quests that I haven't actually finished Yakuza 0's main story yet. I'm enjoying the Majima part of the story more than Kiryu's.