By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Yakuza for me?

Been thinking about getting into the Yakuza series, and I'm just looking for some insight from you all. 

Once was told it's in likeness to shenmue, which i did truly enjoy on the Dreamcast back in the day, is that an accurate comparison? 

Also, if i do jump in, do i need to start with 0 or can i do 1 first? asking because 1 currently sales for $16 with GCU @ bestbuy, while 0 is still $40.

Around the Network

Yakuza is more action-based than Shenmue, if that's fine with you. I'd recommend starting with 1 as that is the original game in the series, rather than 0 which while it takes place before it chronologically it was released afterwards.

Yakuza would best be described as a 3D beat em up with lots of story.

You can start with 0 since it doesn't spoil anything from 1, and it will make a lot of moments more impactful, but it's also fine to start with 1.

Tried to get into Yakuza it's not for me. To much story and to much time wasted on doing things that just aren't fun.

Around the Network

Picked up Yakuza Kiwami for $20 Best Buy and I regret not getting into these games sooner. I ended up getting the Yakuza 0/6 Bundle on PSN.

Most every aspect of Yakuza is objectively superior to Shenmue, and I feel Yakuza is in another strata of gaming quality. IMO (™)(®). The difference in control setup alone, which is kind of important....is huge. Yakuza does have more action yes, but also some nice RPG elements. Leveling up your character, weapons, crafting. In general, there's lots to do. Great story, excellent voice acting. Even the side stories/mission are fantastic. I could go into more detail, but I'll just say go for it, and If you don't hate Jim Sterling, here's a lovely video he made earlier this month focusing on the world and map design, which, much like the 2 videos he made for Yakuza 0, is very positive. The footage in the video doesn't offer much, as it essentially loops from what I remember, so it's more about what he's saying than anything else.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 20 March 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

umegames said:

Been thinking about getting into the Yakuza series, and I'm just looking for some insight from you all. 

Once was told it's in likeness to shenmue, which i did truly enjoy on the Dreamcast back in the day, is that an accurate comparison? 

Also, if i do jump in, do i need to start with 0 or can i do 1 first? asking because 1 currently sales for $16 with GCU @ bestbuy, while 0 is still $40.

100 % YES!

Yakuza has it all - an incredibly exciting story, lots of interesting characters, great gameplay with lots of mini-games, an incredible atmosphere and an extensive combat system. Shenmue fans have been loving Yakuza for a long time. It's time for you to play and enjoy it too :)

Start with Yakuza Zero or Yakuza Kiwami.

I see it as a kind of story-heavy, modern-day Streets of Rage.

If you like games that you can completely lose yourself in, then sure, it's for you!

umegames said:

Aside from the good advice others gave, hopefully this link will also help you and possibly help you decide which games you'd like to play if you dont think you'll play them all.

https://kotaku.com/how-to-get-into-the-yakuza-series-1823927200