By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Prediction: Marvel's Phase 3 Will Average $1 Billion Per Movie at the Box Office.

CaptainExplosion said:
V-r0cK said:

That's the real killer.  Logically, Justice League should have been the most successful movie.  Marvel just knew how to do it right so that when an Avengers movie comes out its just massive.

I'm surprised DC/WB is still continuing with this.  Just feel like the damage is done and nothing can make it better.  They should just save their time and money, scrap and reboot it again like they did with Green Lantern.  

Yeah, in a couple decades or so. It'll take a long time to undo the damage done by "SAVE MARTHA!!".

LOL Ya when I saw that scene I couldn't help but laugh cause ultimately it was all like "you got a mom named martha too? .....ok we're best friends now!" and just literally stops trying to kill him lol

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Especially since Justice League is now the lowest grossing DCEU movie. XD

That's the real killer.  Logically, Justice League should have been the most successful movie.  Marvel just knew how to do it right so that when an Avengers movie comes out its just massive.

I'm surprised DC/WB is still continuing with this.  Just feel like the damage is done and nothing can make it better.  They should just save their time and money, scrap and reboot it again like they did with Green Lantern.  

It's funny that some more extremist DC fans like to pretend that Disney/Marvel are enacting some sort of conspiracy to make critics and audiences love their movies while also hating on DC movies. 

They are, though. Disney IS enacting a conspiracy to make people think their movies are good! 

It's called "Making good movies." 

Just so happens to be that DC/Warner isn't doing the same. 

And when a Thor movie makes more than a Justice League movie, you know you'redoing pretty bad. when Batman v Superman is bested by a captain american/Iron Man movie, you know you're doing pretty bad. I mean, logically, Batman v Superman and Justice League SHOULD have been the two highest grossing superhero movies of all time, given the immense popularity of the two main heroes in it being the two most important and successful superheroes of all time. 

But yeah, I want DC to do well (I loved Wonder Woman), but Marvel is knocking it out of the park. Part of me really does think that Captain Marvel is going to do 1 billion, too. here are my predictions: 

Black Panther - 1.35 billion
Infinity War - 2.05 billion
Ant Man 2 - 0.78 billion
Captain Marvel - 1.02 billion
Infinity War 2 - 2.13 billion

So yeah, I might be overestimating on Captain Marvel, but after black Panther did what it did, the sky is the limit for any and all Marvel movies. 

look at us, counting money we don't have lol. tho sure the disney execs are happy so are shareholders

V-r0cK said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Especially since Justice League is now the lowest grossing DCEU movie. XD

Yep.  They thought it was going to be the largest, too.  Which is why they sunk so much into that film.  Even got Joss Whedon to Avengers it up slightly.  In the end, it was a flop, as it failed to break even on its production and marketing budget.

WB/DC's problem is twofold.  For one, they have little respect for the characters.  They just don't come across as they do in the comics/cartoons.  Superman's film was dark and foreboding (an atmosphere better suited for Batman), with his dad, who's supposed to be his moral compass, actually telling him it might have been ok to let kids die to keep his secret.  Batman just goes around murdering low level thugs.  They seem to have gotten Wonder Woman pretty good, which shows in how well the film performed.

And two, they rushed their film franchise.  Marvel took 4 years and 4 films, which fleshed out their main characters, before they reached Avengers.  All planned out to fit into a bigger picture.  WB/DC took the same 4 years, however, they waited almost 3 years after Man of Steel for another film.  Which was BvS, that came before a film to establish the new Batman or Wonder Woman.  Then, we got what was basically a spin off.  Next, we finally got a Wonder Woman film, the only one to actually perform exceptionally well.  Finally, they jumped straight to their Avengers film, JL, which should have performed the best, but instead did the worst. There's also the feeling that they are just winging it, instead of it all leading to something larger.

Looking at DC's plan, but putting in MCU films, it would have looked like this.

I think the biggest problem is that DC saw what Marvel was doing and wanted to emulate it while simultaneously trying to be the polar opposite. Where Marvel went with the lighter, more jokey tone, DC went for more dour and gritty. They saw the success that Christopher Nolan brought to the Dark Knight trilogy and wanted to emulate that without realizing that such a tone fit for Batman but had no place with Superman or any other DC hero.

Yet, it worked quite well with Wonder Woman, which came closest to emulating the MCU feel.

Around the Network

I mean, yeah, it's definitely possible. It's really going to come down to Ant-Man and the Wasp. If that can make it to $700m, this should happen.

Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

CaptainExplosion said:
Alara317 said:
I think the biggest problem is that DC saw what Marvel was doing and wanted to emulate it while simultaneously trying to be the polar opposite. Where Marvel went with the lighter, more jokey tone, DC went for more dour and gritty. They saw the success that Christopher Nolan brought to the Dark Knight trilogy and wanted to emulate that without realizing that such a tone fit for Batman but had no place with Superman or any other DC hero.

Yet, it worked quite well with Wonder Woman, which came closest to emulating the MCU feel.

They should've done Wonder Woman before Batman V Superman, and done a new Batman movie before Batman V Superman.

Not to mention the former makes Batman look like an overtly hostile douchebag.

That was DC/WB's problem.  They didnt care about actually creating good movies and story build up.  They rushed everything and tried to get a Justice League move out asap to compete with the Avengers movies rather than giving the audience a better understanding of each character with their own movies.  That's why they didnt even have Green Lantern in the Justice League movie.

CaptainExplosion said:
V-r0cK said:

That was DC/WB's problem.  They didnt care about actually creating good movies and story build up.  They rushed everything and tried to get a Justice League move out asap to compete with the Avengers movies rather than giving the audience a better understanding of each character with their own movies.  That's why they didnt even have Green Lantern in the Justice League movie.

Not to mention they didn't even bother getting someone good enough to be Joker in Suicide Squad, OR give Joker more than 5 minutes of screen time despite advertising him extensively.

Yea that too!  They just added Joker in as some marketing tool just to lure people in to watch it.

CaptainExplosion said:
V-r0cK said:

Not to mention they didn't even bother getting someone good enough to be Joker in Suicide Squad, OR give Joker more than 5 minutes of screen time despite advertising him extensively.

What a horrible Joker.  It's like something a teenager in the 90's would have come up with to make an "edgy" X-treme Joker.  Shirtless with a bunch of tatoos and a grill.  And that God awful laugh.  Jared Leto said he would walk down the streets trying different laughs to see which would get the most reactions.  Unfortunately, he misinterpreted the reactions were from the laugh being scary, not annoying.  Congrats to him, he just found the most annoying laugh.

If they want to reboot this universe with actual good movies, I'd suggest Troy Baker.  He's the right height and build. Plus, he does a great Mark Hamill Joker impression, so we could have the animated Joker in a live action film.

CaptainExplosion said:
thismeintiel said:

What a horrible Joker.  It's like something a teenager in the 90's would have come up with to make an "edgy" X-treme Joker.  Shirtless with a bunch of tatoos and a grill.  And that God awful laugh.  Jared Leto said he would walk down the streets trying different laughs to see which would get the most reactions.  Unfortunately, he misinterpreted the reactions were from the laugh being scary, not annoying.  Congrats to him, he just found the most annoying laugh.

If they want to reboot this universe with actual good movies, I'd suggest Troy Baker.  He's the right height and build. Plus, he does a great Mark Hamill Joker impression, so we could have the animated Joker in a live action film.

They could also try, say, going back to the look and feel of the Jack Nicholson Joker, because like any good version of Joker he's the stuff of nightmares.

Nobody with any sanity guns somebody down to happy circus music and then makes their girlfriend jump out the window!!

Or shoots their #1 guy for absolutely no reason.