By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cheating in relationships

adisababa said:

Just want to know what's your opinion on cheating?

Would you ever excuse it?

What do you consider cheating? 

I'm in a bit of a mess soooo just want to know...

Edit: For those who want to know, I kinda cheated on my girlfriend. I made out with a girl in a party but I stopped it from going any further and thankfully we didn't have sex and thankfully my friends stayed quiet about the situation, I was drunk out of my mind and did some stupid drug and she kinda dragged me to kiss her, I know it sounds like an excuse but it's true. I didn't tell my girlfriend and I told my friends to be quiet and I swept it under the rug. Never went to parties since, not my kind of thing, don't want to get crazy and I like spending time in a more intimate and small space with small groups of friends rather than a crazy, epileptic puke smelling place. 

So a few months later, I see the girl in my school for some project and wow is it killing me inside when I'm right in front of her with my girlfriend because now there's risk of it being dug up again and I don't want her to find out any other way but from me. She doesn't have a lot of friends besides me thankfully but the occasional girl gossip can reach her and I don't want that. 

Is that cheating? Come on, that can't be cheating, right?

It is cheating my dude, but you keep that shit locked deep inside tight. Throw away the key. Never mention it or think about it again. Simple as that.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
COKTOE said:

Having a rough day? C'mon.....There was no part of that I didn't understand, and it's his second language.

It’s pretty obvious it isn’t his first

Btw: It wasn’t how he wrote it that made me say it -it was what was being argued. He had bad points and used them to attempt to refute what I said. Where you come from doesn’t prevent you from making a good point or at the very least one that isn’t easy to dismiss.

You really seem offended that I (among others in this thread) don´t share your black and white view on cheating.

Being honest and keeping your word is important to me. However I think that its up those two (or more) who are in a relationship, to discuss and agree on what is okay and what is not. For me it wouldn´t count cheating if it wasn´t a secret and if it wasn´t an overly passionate and long kissing event.

The thread was about our opinions on cheating (and especially that incident and whether its cheating or not) and my points are as good as anyones in that regard.

VGPolyglot said:
adisababa said:
I'm just going to take it one step at a time, if she finds out, she finds out, I'll tell her it didn't mean anything and I honestly wasn't in control of the situation but looking over my back every few minutes isn't going to help and would waste my life force (yes, this thing is kinda draining).

It'll be messy and she'll probably leave me since she is very conservative. But I'll try my best for her to not to get to know about this because I'm kinda into her and I don't want such a meaningless thing that lasted for mere minutes to be taken out of context, blown to bombastic proportions and result in the end of a pretty good connection.

Is that the kind of relationship you want though, one where you can't honest and upfront about things?

All you are doing is passing on the guilt and hurt onto someone your supposed to love so you feel a bit better, it's a selfish act, what they dont know wont hurt them, leave them in peace  

Rab said:

All you are doing is passing on the guilt and hurt onto someone your supposed to love so you feel a bit better, it's a selfish act, what they dont know wont hurt them, leave them in peace  

But he will know it and it will in either case affect their relationship. Also it can hurt a lot more if she founds about it from someone else. If she says that she wouldn´t want to know if he cheated on her or something like that, then it would be okay, but otherwise I would assume that she would want to know.

Living in a lie doesn´t sound that nice :/

PSintend0 said:
Rab said:

But he will know it and it will in either case affect their relationship. Also it can hurt a lot more if she founds about it from someone else. If she says that she wouldn´t want to know if he cheated on her or something like that, then it would be okay, but otherwise I would assume that she would want to know.

Living in a lie doesn´t sound that nice :/

We all live a lie (look at our individual belief systems), we all lie to ourselves and others everyday (Psychologists have established this for a long time), why pass on the hurt because it makes us feel better, damn selfish if you ask me  

Around the Network
Rab said:
VGPolyglot said:

Is that the kind of relationship you want though, one where you can't honest and upfront about things?

It's selfish to damage people's perception of you in order to be honest to your significant other?

VGPolyglot said:
Rab said:

It's selfish to damage people's perception of you in order to be honest to your significant other?

Seriously try being totally honest to everyone you care about and see how far that takes you

Humans long ago developed lying as a way to improve our social cohesion, it's biology  

Rab said:
VGPolyglot said:

Seriously try being totally honest to everyone you care about and see how far that takes you

Humans long ago developed lying as a way to improve our social cohesion, it's biology  

Now you just shifted the topic, I asked how being honest was selfish now you're seemingly trying to make it about something else.

VGPolyglot said:
Rab said:

Now you just shifted the topic, I asked how being honest was selfish now you're seemingly trying to make it about something else.

It's totally related

As I have already explained alleviating your guilt by confessing is putting the burden squarely on your loved one's shoulders who now has to deal with this terrible news, it's a selfish act to alleviate your own guilty conscience , leave your loved one in peacefully ignorance and spare them the suffering, and learn to carry your own guilt, sparing others the pain 

Last edited by Rab - on 16 March 2018

Rab said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's totally related

As I have already explained alleviating your guilt by confessing is putting the burden squarely on your loved one's shoulders who now has to deal with this terrible news, it's a selfish act to alleviate your own guilty conscience , leave your loved one in peacefully ignorance and spare them the suffering, and learn to carry your own guilt, sparing others pain 

But that's ignoring the possibility that they find out via other means.