By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

How long does the phrase "In a second" allow for?

1-60 seconds 7 33.33%

1-5 minutes 7 33.33%

5-10 minutes 3 14.29%

10-15 minutes 2 9.52%

15-20 minutes 0 0%

20-25 minutes 0 0%

25-30 minutes 2 9.52%

Total:21
Flilix said:
The meaning of the phrase depends on the situation, but in the situation you're describing I'd expect something like 5-15 minutes.

This seems fair.

Around the Network

1-5 minutes

ResidentToxy said:
Rogerioandrade said:
In my country, with our laid-back culture... it would not be something fast.

How long would you be expecting/willing to wait for? 

Willing: 05 minutes max

Expected:  around 15 minutes

According to DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) it is exactly between 2.1 and 5.3 seconds. Anything below is either "blink of an eye" or above "a moment".

Hunting Season is done...

ResidentToxy said:
vivster said:

You never said anything about leaving.

In the example I stated that before the person approached you, you were just about to get ready to leave. So the option to leave once a certain amount of time expires is heavily implied - especially if you grow tired of waiting.

You NEVER answered my question. See - two can play at that game.

vivster said:
ResidentToxy said:

In the example I stated that before the person approached you, you were just about to get ready to leave. So the option to leave once a certain amount of time expires is heavily implied - especially if you grow tired of waiting.

You never said anything about the other person just leaving. If someone asks me to look over something real quick I expect them to have it with them. And if they don't, I ask them what it is and why they think I should have an opinion about it. I don't even know them.

Toxy should have said "look after" not "look over". If you say "look over" it gives the impression that somebody has asked you to peruse, or at least take a glance at some kind of document (or whatever) for them, as opposed to guarding their belongings while they deal with, let's say, what will surely be a day ruining trip to the restroom.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said: 

Toxy should have said "look after" not "look over". If you say "look over" it gives the impression that somebody has asked you to peruse, or at least take a glance at some kind of document (or whatever) for them, as opposed to guarding their belongings while they deal with, let's say, what will surely be a day ruining trip to the restroom.

Ah, now that makes a lot more sense. That's why it's important to use proper English. "Watch over" would've also been acceptable.

In that case I will leave whenever I have to leave. I will ask someone else to look after the stuff instead. 

Last edited by vivster - on 13 March 2018

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

"a second"

I've been kept waiting up to 40 minutes based on that phrase.
It's really douchebaggy to say a second and make the person wait more than 10 minutes.

COKTOE said:
ResidentToxy said:

vivster said:

You never said anything about the other person just leaving. If someone asks me to look over something real quick I expect them to have it with them. And if they don't, I ask them what it is and why they think I should have an opinion about it. I don't even know them.

Cheers. That was a typo.
Next time I make a thread, I will be sure to give it a proper proofread. I was occupied when I posted this thread.

morenoingrato said:
"a second"

I've been kept waiting up to 40 minutes based on that phrase.
It's really douchebaggy to say a second and make the person wait more than 10 minutes.

I definitely agree. If someone is going to take up your time, they should be more upfront about it.

I guess 5 minutes is around how long I'd expect.