By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - TOYS 'R' US is considering closing all of it's U.S. stores

Toys “R” Us Inc. is making preparations for a liquidation of its bankrupt U.S. operations after so far failing to find a buyer or reach a debt restructuring deal with lenders, according to people familiar with the matter.

While the situation is still fluid, a shutdown of the U.S. division has become increasingly likely in recent days, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. Hopes are fading that a buyer will emerge to keep some of the business operating, or that lenders will agree on terms of a debt restructuring, the people said.

The toy chain’s U.S. division entered bankruptcy in September, planning to emerge with a leaner business model and more manageable debt. A new $3.1 billion loan was obtained to keep the stores open during the turnaround effort, but results worsened more than expected during the holidays, casting doubt on the chain’s viability.

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/03/09/toys-r-us-closing-us-stores-bankruptcy?__twitter_impression=true

Around the Network

RIP my childhood if that happens. It was already a bummer after they closed down their flagship Times Square store, was always fun to walk in there and check out all the exclusive LEGO sets and other stuff they had.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I wouldn't shed a tear tbh. While I grew up with them,over the years their service and stores have been pure garbage both in store and online.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I'm in the UK but the last time I went into a toys r us store there was me and one other customer and about 8 staff standing about. Huge shop too. I think I did one online order once back in the gamecube days but I think that's it. I always remember their bicycles being absolutely terrible, you couldn't really find worse, pretty abysmal at least over here in the UK. Kids are much more into videogames now which they were pretty poor at and pricing was at the higher end. Also my nearest store is about 50 miles away being a warehouse type store. They days of driving a long way to go to a store are long gone when you can just browse the internet from your settee.

Good, the store just sucks. It's not competitive, and that's what happens as a result.

Around the Network

Eventually almost all stores will disappear as we continue to buy online, just the way it is now

I rarely bought toys here. They had a nice selection but there was places my parents preferred to go otherwise.

I don't really buy from there, but it's disappointing to see a Game/Toy specialty store close down

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

RolStoppable said:
I guess I'll have to find a new store to buy my guns from then.

Yeah they had some kick ass prices on AR-15s last fall.  If you missed it rolstopple@ (did I do that wrong?) then shame on you for not being the bargain shopper I thought you were.

Blame Star Wars for this.