By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Neil Druckmann Becomes Vice President Of Naughty Dog

I have reasons to worry a little about this but I'm going to keep it to myself until free speech is a thing again:

As we are kicking off 2018, we have some exciting studio news we wanted to share. During a recent all-studio meeting, we announced some well-deserved promotions:

In recognition of his expanded role, contributing on critical, studio level decisions, Neil Druckmann is now Vice President of Naughty Dog. He’s been a vital part of the management team for some time now, and we’re proud to formally acknowledge his involvement. In addition to his new position, Neil will continue as the Creative Director on The Last of Us Part II.

We’re also excited to announce that Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau are the joint Game Directors on The Last of Us Part II. Both Kurt and Anthony joined Naughty Dog during Uncharted 2 and have been instrumental in leading the design department, and have been key contributors on our subsequent games. Emilia Schatz and Richard Cambier are the Lead Designers that round out the extremely talented design department’s leadership team.

We have such an incredible team at Naughty Dog, and I’m always happy when I am able to recognize those who have made an outstanding contribution to our games and the studio. Please join me in giving them all a big congratulations!

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/studio_update_neil_druckmann_the_last_of_us_part_II

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

I have reasons to worry a little about this but I'm going to keep it to myself until free speech is a thing again:

I know what you mean and I have the same worries.

GribbleGrunger said:

Feel free.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Great news, the dude that created the best story from last gen and the 2 best characters Ellie and Joel.

Deserved position, The last of us 2 Ellie main character playable all game baby. And his mom kicking ass with a hammer.

Haters be like : " oh noes !!! them politic in ma games , a lesbian girl , cant play as a lesbian i need a macho man or a girl with huge fucking tits , Naughty dog is DOOMED !!!"

Are there people legit complaining about this or are you overreacting

He's a fan of Anita Sarkeesian.

Around the Network
p0isonparadise said:

He's also one of the preeminent game designers in the world. Who cares?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

p0isonparadise said:

I love Neil and the games he makes. I believe he and his team are responsible for the greatest game ever made. That's only 'my opinion' but it puts what I think in perspective. I've noticed of late a few comments from Neil (in the interview at PSX in particular) that are worded in line with expediency. The fact he backs this fanatic is part of the worry and the push for female leads is also worrying. I have played many games with females in the lead role and enjoyed them. I tend to pick a female character when the option is available. My favourite franchise -- and the game that got me heavily into gaming -- 'used' to be Tombraider. My issue isn't to do with gender decisions (there being two), it's to do with motives. No matter how good a writer Neil is, if he continues adopting the extremities we see constantly promoted in the media or taught at colleges throughout the US, it could subconsciously affect his narrative decisions and THAT'S where my concern lies. SJWs have completely ruined most films and if we're not careful they'll ruin games. All I ask is that he writes what is right and not what is left.   

The PS5 Exists. 

Normchacho said:
p0isonparadise said:

He's also one of the preeminent game designers in the world. Who cares?

People who don't like Anita and SJWs.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Great news, the dude that created the best story from last gen and the 2 best characters Ellie and Joel.

Deserved position, The last of us 2 Ellie main character playable all game baby. And his mom kicking ass with a hammer.

Haters be like : " oh noes !!! them politic in ma games , a lesbian girl , cant play as a lesbian i need a macho man or a girl with huge fucking tits , Naughty dog is DOOMED !!!"

- edit. Sorry CGW, I quoted you by accident.

GribbleGrunger said:
p0isonparadise said:

I love Neil and the games he makes. I believe he and his team are responsible for the greatest game ever made. That's only 'my opinion' but it puts what I think in perspective. I've noticed of late a few comments from Neil (in the interview at PSX in particular) that are worded in line with expediency. The fact he backs this fanatic is part of the worry and the push for female leads is also worrying. I have played many games with females in the lead role and enjoyed them. I tend to pick a female character when the option is available. My favourite franchise -- and the game that got me heavily into gaming -- 'used' to be Tombraider. My issue isn't to do with gender decisions (there being two), it's to do with motives. No matter how good a writer Neil is, if he continues adopting the extremities we see constantly promoted in the media or taught at colleges throughout the US, it could subconsciously affect his narrative decisions and THAT'S where my concern lies. SJWs have completely ruined most films and if we're not careful they'll ruin games. All I ask is that he writes what is right and not what is left.   

Hm. I had no idea he supported that lunatic. I wish I could explore this more, but all roads seem to lead towards UC4 spoilers. Also, I need to play UC4 some day.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 10 March 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't know what it means, so what does it mean?

I want to know too.

Your comment a few posts back is the reason I dont want to go further on this. Anyway, TLOU is one of the best games ever and I hope he can make a great sequel.