By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RIME vs Mulaka?

zorg1000 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Oh that’s good timing. I beat both in the last three weeks.

Mulaka is the better game, especially if you’re looking for a Zelda-like. Rime plays a bit more like Journey: it’s there to tell a story and to provoke some emotional responses; deep gameplay is secondary.

Mulaka, for all its warts, is more engaging and challenging. Movement is a little stiff and it can get repetitive, but boss battles are great and the animal transformation spice things up. You can channel the spirit of a bear, a snake, a cougar, and a bird.

Neither game is great, mind you. I’d say Mulaka is decent and Rime is mediocre.

Thanks for your input, so mediocre-decent for each game.....i might take Rols advice and pick something else.

Might be the best bet. I see you got Blossom Tales. Have you tried Ittle Dew 2+? That’s one of my favorite Zelda-likes on Switch.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Oh that’s good timing. I beat both in the last three weeks.

Mulaka is the better game, especially if you’re looking for a Zelda-like. Rime plays a bit more like Journey: it’s there to tell a story and to provoke some emotional responses; deep gameplay is secondary.

Mulaka, for all its warts, is more engaging and challenging. Movement is a little stiff and it can get repetitive, but boss battles are great and the animal transformation spice things up. You can channel the spirit of a bear, a snake, a cougar, and a bird.

Neither game is great, mind you. I’d say Mulaka is decent and Rime is mediocre.

Thanks for your input, so mediocre-decent for each game.....i might take Rols advice and pick something else.

If you allow me to give an suggestion too, Dandara is a pretty good metroidvania-style game. You should check it out too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Those two games have a completely different artstyle. I played Rime and I can recommend it for all people who love japanese anime movies from Studio Ghibli (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle etc.). It's a game with a heavy focus on solving puzzles and less focus on gameplay. Just like every Fumito Ueda game (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian) and Journey (which was inspired by ICO). I really loved the atmosphere in this game. You don't have any weapon at all. It's not about defeating enemies.

I haven't played Mulaka yet, but what I have seen from gameplay videos – it's not really comparable with Rime. The artstyle is more western like Walt Disney and it's much more focused on action. Rime is all about to enjoy the calm and mystic atmosphere.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
zorg1000 said:

Might be the best bet. I see you got Blossom Tales. Have you tried Ittle Dew 2+? That’s one of my favorite Zelda-likes on Switch.

Nope, never played it but ill look into it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Stuart23 said:
zorg1000 said:

If you allow me to give an suggestion too, Dandara is a pretty good metroidvania-style game. You should check it out too.

Love me some Metroidvania. Recently played Axiom Verge & Steamworld Dig 2, both worth checking out if you havent already.

Ill look more into Dandara, thanks for the suggestion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Those two games have a completely different artstyle. I played Rime and I can recommend it for all people who love japanese anime movies from Studio Ghibli (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle etc.). It's a game with a heavy focus on solving puzzles and less focus on gameplay. Just like every Fumito Ueda game (ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian) and Journey (which was inspired by ICO). I really loved the atmosphere in this game. You don't have any weapon at all. It's not about defeating enemies.

I haven't played Mulaka yet, but what I have seen from gameplay videos – it's not really comparable with Rime. The artstyle is more western like Walt Disney and it's much more focused on action. Rime is all about to enjoy the calm and mystic atmosphere.

Both gave me Zelda-ish vibes but for different reasons. Like you said RIME seemed more puzzle based while Mulaka more combat based.

Im so torn, theres a couple dozen $15-30 indie titles im interested in. I almost wish we had  drought so i could catch up lol

John2290 said:

Celeste.

One of the ~30 indie games on Switch i want to check out.