By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo should make more divisions besides gaming?

More Divisions

Yes 3 33.33%

No 4 44.44%

See Results 2 22.22%

Total:9

Nintendo is already pursuing non-gaming avenues such as theme parks, movies, manga, and other multimedia. It's been part of their initiative to expand their IP beyond gaming since they started talking about it back in 2015.

As for creating divisions for such avenues, I don't know. Besides mobile, I don't think they have planned to create divisions besides gaming for now until they see some success in their movies and theme parks. Right now, their gaming business is their MAIN business, unlike Sony and Microsoft in which their respective gaming divisions are one of their main businesses and they already have established divisions away from gaming.

Around the Network

Nintendo Life Insurance, Co.

Sushi restaurants. I’d be hooked.

so far theyve dabbled in toys, hanafuda cards, trading cards, figurines, licenced board games, licenced shoes, licenced movies, TV shows, amusement park rides, youtube channels, manga, and smart phone apps, alongside their abandoned QoL series products. its hard to imagine other areas they could expand to

I just want them to make movies and series.

Around the Network

Well, there's a lot of risk involved with adding those types of services/entertainment to a company. And Sony should know that more than anyone. Their Phones TVs, and movies almost did a number on them financially. But they've somewhat recovered. For a time PS was their only profitable division.

But Sony got into TV and audio early so they have brand recognition in terms of those services. And again, with Microsoft their phones...yeah. They suck. Surface devices...aren't necessarily the best on the market, but they're okay.Windows 10 is their bread and butter, so I don't expect Nintendo or Sony to make widely distributed Oses, Nintendo does Apps, and cloud based storage is a possibility for them. Cloud based gaming is also currently being done on Nintendo Switch with Phantasy Star Online 2. I doubt Nintendo is highly interested in making their own cloud based services, but you'd be hard pressed to think they aren't at least toying around with it.

Microsoft is more of an acquisition company than Sony or Nintendo. Rather than competing with a company, they'd rather buy out the best, because they can...they're Microsoft, and add them to their division list. Linkedin, Skype, Mojang, etc. they'd rather just buy them. Hell, Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo years ago, but Nintendo knew what they had and plans fell through, quick.

I'd argue their current endeavor, Universal Theme Park, is far more exciting than what either is doing in terms of entertainment, well besides PSVR maybe. If the Mario movie goes well, we might see Nintendo form a subsidiary and eventually in house animation studio, but that's just what ifs.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 04 March 2018

reviniente said:
Nintendo Life Insurance, Co.

I can see the application now...

Do you smoke? - Yes.

Are you active? - Yes.

Do you leap over lava while avoiding snapping turtles whilst getting fired at to fight flame throwing dinosaurs in hopes to save princesses? -......No.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

honestly being a part of everything is what hurt Sony imo. If they didn't have Playstation gaming brand, they would've been in serious trouble. Like someone else said,Nintendo already dabbles in other stuff. If there's one thing I wish they'd do is start selling OST's to all their games and made that a market

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Nintendo has the talent to do so if they wanted to.

It would be fine as long as they helped promote Nintendo's games and characters. A film and animation studio would be ideal. However, they should avoid being like Sony at all costs. Sony is a conglomerate and it actually hurts them. The problem with Sony is they're a fragmented company who's divisions act like independent companies with their own bottom line and overall mission. This is the reason Apple made the iPod even Sony had everything they needed to do it first, even a music label. Apple forces their teams to work with one another whereas Sony's divisions acted like they were at war with one another. As someone else point out, had it not been for PlayStation, Sony would be in big trouble right now.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com