By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Hiring Director Of Competitive Gaming (E-Sports)

MasterThief said:

wahawk servers shut down long time ago. I believe 2012.

Nope the servers are still up, and people are still playing it according to this post from 4 months and 16 days ago. https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/warhawk-on-ps3-still-works-online-so-why-did-sony--33412582/ So I really don't know what you are talking about, games been online for over 10 years. Last edited by think-man - on 12 March 2018

Around the Network
MasterThief said:
CGI-Quality said:

What game with multiplayer focus didn't turn out too well?

warhawk and starhawk were not successful. neither was Twisted metal ps3 which had all of its budget obviously in the MP part of the game. all of these studios got shut down and none of the games sold well at all. I remember starhawk was like 10 dollars less than 3 months after release.

RIGS studio shut down immediately after release, same with drawn to death

dear god. literally almost every sony studio that closed made an MP flop as a last stand.

also god of war ascension multiplayer focus. a few other games. MAG comes to mind but that was very early.

I find it pretty funny that you list Warhawk, because the servers are still running for that game, and I still find plenty of people online when I play it 10 years after release! By comparison Halo 2 went offline 6 years after release.

I would rather they keep focused on single player gaming

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

MasterThief said:
DialgaMarine said:
Please let this mean they’re going to be some emphasis on multiplayer.

last time they did that it didn't turn out too well. am gonna say that the pc platform will always be where competetive multiplayer is king

Haven’t had much success with MP only titles but then again who has? But adding MP to their SP franchises has worked out well. Killzone MP was flawed but pretty good. Uncharted MP was surprisingly good, at least 2 and 3. LoU was one of my favorite MP games ever until pay to win DLC got introduced and changed the meta of the game but those are microtransactions so they’re probably still a success as far as Sony’s side is concerned. I never played Ascension but I have friends who say it was epic.

Its very hard to have a MP focused title that sells gangbusters. Plus being honest I highly doubt Sony expected Warhawk/Starhawk to set the gaming world on fire. MAG maybe. They did ruin SOCOM 4.

i find that strange because there was an official post about the servers closing long time ago. and I couldn't play the game in 2013. possible that someone put up a server that wasn't sony

Around the Network

well I must have misunderstood. regardless. the game was a failure because it sold a single million 

CGI-Quality said:
MasterThief said:

well I must have misunderstood. regardless. the game was a failure because it sold a single million 

You don't know if it was a failure or not.

let me guess sony closed down the studio because it was a huge success. along with RIGS, drawn to death etc. huge success.

LudicrousSpeed said:
You know what would kill for them with eSports? SOCOM II HD. Make it happen Sony.

Yes, please. Particularly after the surprising success of R6: Siege.

MasterThief said:

Try harder, mate.

MasterThief said:

i find that strange because there was an official post about the servers closing long time ago. and I couldn't play the game in 2013. possible that someone put up a server that wasn't sony

Maybe you’re confusing it with the MAG/SOCOM4/SOCOM Confrontation announcement.

MasterThief said:
CGI-Quality said:

You don't know if it was a failure or not.

let me guess sony closed down the studio because it was a huge success. along with RIGS, drawn to death etc. huge success.

Why make a squeal for a game that was a failure? Starhawk was a failure not Warhawk. And Sony didn't close them down, the core members disbanded and made "Eat Sleep Play". You really need to check your facts, because at the moment you are borderline trolling.

"Studio heads and founders David Jaffe and Scott Cambell left the company in July 2007 along with the majority of the studio's team members, to form their own independent studio called Eat Sleep Play which is backed by SCEA. The team which left Incognito consisted mainly of the development team behind most of the studio's games most notably the Twisted Metal series.

The remainder of the team was led by Dylan Jobe and had been maintaining the PlayStation 3 online video game, Warhawk. However, in March 2009, he along with several other members of Incognito left the studio to form a new studio called LightBox Interactive. LightBox Interactive consisted mainly of the team behind Warhawk, and currently holds the responsibility of maintaining Warhawk, developing updates and expansion packs."