By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. March bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

GribbleGrunger said:
In my opinion that price drop is in the offing. Sony know the big games are coming soon so what they're doing is understocking in order to create a quicker uptake of PS4s before the price cut. I believe this is a quick cash grab, playing on those that rush to buy a product for fear of it not being available when they want. That's what I believe they are doing. Once ALL the old models have been sold at the current price, the new models will have a lower price tag.

Hmmm... how are they promoting a quicker uptake if there’s no PS4 to sell? Also, they ship less PS4 so that they can sell more at a lower price point? Overall, I’m not sure I follow. But the bigger question is why would they cut the price now?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Hmmm... how are they promoting a quicker uptake if there’s no PS4 to sell? Also, they ship less PS4 so that they can sell more at a lower price point? Overall, I’m not sure I follow. But the bigger question is why would they cut the price now?

Let's say you send 100 consoles to Amazon, 50 of which they buy at a cheaper price because it's the revised version. Which version are they going to ship at the current price? Asking Amazon, who will be aware of the lower production costs of the new version, to stock/buy the newer version at the current price could sour relations for future deals. So the answer is to keep restocking regularly but with mainly the older version until they're gone completely. 

It's only a theory but it makes more sense than simply saying 'Sony are stupid' in one way or another. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Lawlight said:

Let's say you send 100 consoles to Amazon, 50 of which they buy at a cheaper price because it's the revised version. Which version are they going to ship at the current price? Asking Amazon, who will be aware of the lower production costs of the new version, to stock/buy the newer version at the current price could sour relations for future deals. So the answer is to keep restocking regularly but with mainly the older version until they're gone completely. 

It's only a theory but it makes more sense than simply saying 'Sony are stupid' in one way or another. 

ps4 is available at every where except amazon, so the theory doesn't make sense

quickrick said:

So why do YOU think Sony are not restocking as they were on Amazon? 

The PS5 Exists. 

Switch again going quite strong.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Lawlight said:

I don't believe there will be a  pricecut. New bundles for the same price maybe. I think Sony are keeping an eye on the Switch and cutting the price needlessly now will give them a disadvantage further down the line while also losing money.

Also, if they believe they can make more money, even if they sell fewer consoles, then why cut the price. 

GribbleGrunger said:
quickrick said:

So why do YOU think Sony are not restocking as they were on Amazon? 

My only guess would be, they don't have enough stock for amazon, probably cause they are prioritizing more important retailers like best buy, gamestop, and walmart.

SWORDF1SH said:

I don't believe there will be a  pricecut. New bundles for the same price maybe. I think Sony are keeping an eye on the Switch and cutting the price needlessly now will give them a disadvantage further down the line while also losing money.

Also, if they believe they can make more money, even if they sell fewer consoles, then why cut the price. 

As I said just before Christmas when Sony cut the price, they are not going to make the same mistake MS made (hopefully) and create a market that 'waits' until the inevitable price cuts. This is why I predicted the XB1 would see huge slumps in sales post Christmas when they continued with said strategy. I predicted an even bigger slump this year because it was coupled with less exclusives and the launch of the Switch. In my opinion, Sony made that move towards Christmas knowing full well it would begin a downward trend in sales early 2019 but they had to combat the XB1X/Switch in some way so they dropped the price prematurely to cover it. They would not have made that move if they had no intention of dropping the price sooner or later. Like I said, there's no way they'd make the same mistake as a company desperate to compete in the US. Sony will be evaluating when the best time for the price drop, but it is coming and soon, hence the new models of the PS4/PSVR. They cut the price of PSVR because its an emergent market and it's worth losing to gain in the future with that product. They're not so desperate with the PS4 because PS+ will be supporting much of any loss. I think they're just making hay while the sun shines at the moment.  

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
SWORDF1SH said:

As I said just before Christmas when Sony cut the price, they are not going to make the same mistake MS made (hopefully) and create a market that 'waits' until the inevitable price cuts. This is why I predicted the XB1 would see huge slumps in sales post Christmas when they continued with said strategy. I predicted an even bigger slump this year because it was coupled with less exclusives and the launch of the Switch. In my opinion, Sony made that move towards Christmas knowing full well it would begin a downward trend in sales early 2019 but they had to combat the XB1X/Switch in some way so they dropped the price prematurely to cover it. They would not have made that move if they had no intention of dropping the price sooner or later. Like I said, there's no way they'd make the same mistake as a company desperate to compete in the US. Sony will be evaluating when the best time for the price drop, but it is coming and soon, hence the new models of the PS4/PSVR. They cut the price of PSVR because its an emergent market and it's worth losing to gain in the future with that product. They're not so desperate with the PS4 because PS+ will be supporting much of any loss. I think they're just making hay while the sun shines at the moment.  

I totally agree with the holiday pricecuts. I was saying the same thing about causing sales to drastically drop going into the new year. I defended Sony for only doing a pricecut over a few days with a limited stock to not cause the situation, like you said, people will wait. 

But I think Sony will be smarter about cutting the price. They have GoW around the corner plus exclusives dotted throughout the year to keep up the momentum without dropping price. I expect them to use their older games to make bundles. Or GoW 1TB bundle for $300. I think that's as extreme as they'll go. 

I think Sony want to keep clear of the $250 price until about September/October with a $199 bundle for a few days over black Friday. 

Why are you guys talking about PS4 being out of stock on Amazon when it is not ? Was it recently and I missed it ?