By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be a thing on the Switch?

Will Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be a thing?

Yes, and it will be the b... 7 53.85%

Yes, but it will be as me... 4 30.77%

No, they gave up after Rio 2016 2 15.38%

Total:13

It would make a lot of sense. With Switch's popularity and the fact the 2020 Games are in Tokyo (with Mario as mascot), it's a good set of circumstances under which to revive the cross-over franchise.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

I actually think A was the best option xD
I'm very biased towards simple and minimal art, though.

They're so generic is my problem. The other two have so much more character to them.

Yeah, you're right. C screams Japan to me. A could be from any country.

A good example is Vinicius and Tom, Rio 2016's mascots. Brazil is known for its nature, so they made a tree, representing the flora, and a jaguar, representing the fauna. The Brazilian flag is green, yellow and blue, so they made Vinicius yellow and blue and Tom blue and green. You look at them and you instantly think of Brazil.

B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Didn't Sega lose the license for the Olympics? Also, if they lost it, who has it now?

Ubisoft had the license for this year's Winter games. They made that Steep DLC.

Mario and Rabbids at the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games

OT: Sega doesn't release many console games at all these days, and the last one sold less than half a million. If they do make a game, it will probably be because Nintendo specifically requested it. I don't see Sega going back to it on their own accord. The game referencing the Rio 2016 closing ceremony with Mario would be interesting to see though. 

I'm sorry everyone, but I really want Ubisoft to keep the liscence because steep:road to the Olympics is better than Mario and sonic ever was.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
I'm sorry everyone, but I really want Ubisoft to keep the liscence because steep:road to the Olympics is better than Mario and sonic ever was.

Steep has nothing to do with Summer Olympics sports, so I guess SEGA can keep that license. Ubisoft can have the Winter Olympics ¯_(ツ)_/¯

B O I

Around the Network

I think they will do it. It has a huge selling potential. I could see it easily doing 2m+ in Japan alone.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Lmao for some reason it never registered for me that the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games games were actually officially products of the Olympics ... haha ... losing a license to that must hurt

LuccaCardoso1 said:
flashfire926 said:

Steep has nothing to do with Summer Olympics sports, so I guess SEGA can keep that license. Ubisoft can have the Winter Olympics ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, my bad, I didnt realize that.

So in that case, sega can keep the summer olympics liscense.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Sales would be gigantic in Japan if it does get made.

Hope so, the series went downhill imo though. Don't know why 2016 had so few events compared to the original, and moved away from motion controls, which I actually liked in Mario & Sonic.