By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Tragedy of "Annihilation"

Nymeria said:
Muffin31190 said:
It's not really an original property as it is a book series ...

I stand corrected. I was not aware.  What are the books? I'd like to check them out now.

The book series is of the same name "Annihilation" Followed by "Authority" and then "Acceptance". AKA the Southern Reach Trilogy.

All of them are pretty good and worth a read.

Around the Network

Are you pointing the blame at the stupid public? Because they ruin most things anyway.

Nymeria said:
sub-zero-TM said:
I really didn't like the trailer .. it reminded me of the new ghostbusters movie with all those women.

Is it anything close to the new Blade Runner movie for example? cause that one was a masterpiece.

I hated the Ghostbusters reboot.  The fact it is a women team is explained within the world and makes sense, there is zero "girl power" and the characters have depth, flaws, and make mistakes.  I'd rate it a 9/10 while I'd give Ghosterbusters Reboot a 2/10, they aren't in the same hemisphere in terms of film making.

From a technical perspective I'd say Annihiliation is the best sci-fi movie I've seen since Blade Runner 2049, but I wouldn't put it on the same level.  Both deserve to be seen on a big screen though.

Awesome ! that's what i hoped to hear .. i'm gonna watch it for sure now thanks a bunch ;) 

Well so far the new Blade Runner is the best sci fi movie i've seen in a long long time i was in awe while watching it, if this movie is anything close to that one i will love it no doubt.

I hear it’s a very slow movie. I think movies don’t have to be slow to be good.

NintendoPie said:
Are you pointing the blame at the stupid public? Because they ruin most things anyway.

No. I'm pointing how a confluence of events worked against it.  For example, people not seeing Geostorm made the studio desperate for a safe bet, so that wasn't the public's fault for passing on a bad movie.  It's a cycle where something lacks awareness so it doesn't get marketing push meaning most people will have no clue it exists so they won't see it.  This is coupled with right now everyone is talking about Black Panther, so it dominates the zeitgeist and box office.  I like superhero movies and plan on seeing it, but I did wish mid level risks had more of a chance to succeed.

Around the Network
Muffin31190 said:
Nymeria said:

I stand corrected. I was not aware.  What are the books? I'd like to check them out now.

The book series is of the same name "Annihilation" Followed by "Authority" and then "Acceptance". AKA the Southern Reach Trilogy.

All of them are pretty good and worth a read.

Thank you, I will plan on reading them.

sub-zero-TM said:
Nymeria said:

I hated the Ghostbusters reboot.  The fact it is a women team is explained within the world and makes sense, there is zero "girl power" and the characters have depth, flaws, and make mistakes.  I'd rate it a 9/10 while I'd give Ghosterbusters Reboot a 2/10, they aren't in the same hemisphere in terms of film making.

From a technical perspective I'd say Annihiliation is the best sci-fi movie I've seen since Blade Runner 2049, but I wouldn't put it on the same level.  Both deserve to be seen on a big screen though.

Awesome ! that's what i hoped to hear .. i'm gonna watch it for sure now thanks a bunch ;) 

Well so far the new Blade Runner is the best sci fi movie i've seen in a long long time i was in awe while watching it, if this movie is anything close to that one i will love it no doubt.

If you've seen "Ex Machina" that is where your bar should be for a great smaller scale sci-fi movie. Blade Runner 2049 is more grand in scale.

Lawlight said:
I hear it’s a very slow movie. I think movies don’t have to be slow to be good.

It didn't feel slow to me.  I will say parts are atmospheric, so if you find being immersed in an alien land to be off putting you may find those scenes not to your liking.  There are scenes where the acting is more subdued, but that channels the realism and sense of unease to me.  When there are action scene I'd say they are pretty intense, one in the middle in particular is terrifying in way most horror films fail to achieve.

Nymeria said:
sub-zero-TM said:

If you've seen "Ex Machina" that is where your bar should be for a great smaller scale sci-fi movie. Blade Runner 2049 is more grand in scale.

I have seen Ex Machina it wasn't a masterpiece but it was a good movie. And also i've seen your response to some other guy you say parts are atmospheric that't another plus for me ! 

Tnx for all the info i really appreciate it. 

sub-zero-TM said:
Nymeria said:

I have seen Ex Machina it wasn't a masterpiece but it was a good movie. And also i've seen your response to some other guy you say parts are atmospheric that't another plus for me ! 

Tnx for all the info i really appreciate it. 

Red Letter Media Review - they actually mention it as what Ghostbusters Reboot failed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtePG4Pon_M