By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2018 NPD Thread! Switch #1

UltimateGamer1982 said:
quickrick said:

we have no idea what switch did, nintedo could have shipped 200k super nes mini, its still sold out. i believe if it was a 4 week period it would be 180-200k. 

I doubt very seriously Nintendo shipped anywhere close to that many of the super nes classic. Probably closer to the 15k-30k range most likely as that thing is always out of stock. 

Besides, if they did ship “200k”, that means all plaforms sold approximately 200k a piece when that’s obviously not true. 3DS had it’s best January since 2013 and switch being #1 destroys your super nes theory. 

its been doing more 200k every month it released, and selling out, why would  nintendo only ship 15-30k that makes 0 sense.

Last edited by quickrick - on 22 February 2018

Around the Network

Its quite impresive that Switch won month in which PS4 had Monster Hunter World.
Also its great to see that Skyrim 6. best selling Switch game from launch, while Doom is 10. best selling game.

Hell yeah! Well done!

Switch is a beast!!

Capcom's MH team and Arc System Works is popping bottles tonight lol.

Absolutely, Capcom's work in getting Monster Hunter popular in the West is something to marvel. Not only was it #1 on the PS4 but even on the XB1. I've seen lots of streamers that used to be pretty exclusive Destiny streamers jump onto MHW as their "grinding for gear" game of choice.

Anyway, NA is always competitive, and as long as Sony keeps it close there and doesn't get absolutely bodied in Japan then their domination of Europe should mean that the PS4 continues to extend its global lead for the month.

It definitely shows the strength of the Switch in the US that it was able to be on top despite having no particularly big game launches in January. And Microsoft is still putting up good numbers in its home country. Too bad that can't be said for the rest of the world.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 22 February 2018

Around the Network
quickrick said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

I doubt very seriously Nintendo shipped anywhere close to that many of the super nes classic. Probably closer to the 15k-30k range most likely as that thing is always out of stock. 

Besides, if they did ship “200k”, that means all plaforms sold approximately 200k a piece when that’s obviously not true. 3DS had it’s best January since 2013 and switch being #1 destroys your super nes theory. 

its been doing more 200k every month it released, and selling out, why would  nintendo only ship 15-30k that makes 0 sense.

Not sure if I remember correctly, but I thought the SNES Classic was limited time item for the holiday season only.

Edit: Turns out that changed sometime ago.

I feel like this just confirms what I have been thinking. When PS4 won 2017 in total sales people were out champing it like that was hard for it to do ... even though it only won because of stock, pricing, and a two month headstart. When Switch has "regular" weeks people talk about how its gonna fall of a cliff...

The point is that the Switch looks pretty normal sales wise when it has these down weeks. January might not be the best example, we'll see in February. But most doom evidence is pretty premature. Im open to the idea Switch will fall off though.

Ryng_Tolu said:

December NPD 2011 - 1.606.000 3DS sold

There you go.

Where did you find this number ? 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I feel like this just confirms what I have been thinking. When PS4 won 2017 in total sales people were out champing it like that was hard for it to do ... even though it only won because of stock, pricing, and a two month headstart. When Switch has "regular" weeks people talk about how its gonna fall of a cliff...

The point is that the Switch looks pretty normal sales wise when it has these down weeks. January might not be the best example, we'll see in February. But most doom evidence is pretty premature. Im open to the idea Switch will fall off though.

Actually based on Amazon rankings, it seems that Switch will win February also in US, and from beginning of year until 18. February Switch already sold 400k units in Japan, so fall of a cliff is highly unlikely especially when later Switch will have bigger releases.

Good month for Xbox, nice to see it doing well.