By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2018 NPD Thread! Switch #1

quickrick said:
Stuart23 said:

Why didn't Xbox took the lead then?

we don't know who is in second place, but they are all very close ,where it doesn't really make a difference, only thing we need now is hardware numbers for one of them.

I mean, in general, if Xbox managed to "steal" some sales from PS4,why wouldn't he had done the same with the Switch?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Zones said:

He actually said it would sell one million less than in 2017.

It was clarified by him what he meant in that very same topic, so obsessing over that specific term like some of you continuously do seems to be quite fruitless at this point.

Nope, he said it in about a half dozen different topics before ever clarifying what he meant.

ok i clarified what i mean with out any new  sales data released. some of you need to get over it already.

Stuart23 said:
quickrick said:

we don't know who is in second place, but they are all very close ,where it doesn't really make a difference, only thing we need now is hardware numbers for one of them.

I mean, in general, if Xbox managed to "steal" some sales from PS4,why wouldn't he had done the same with the Switch?

different market, xbox, and ps4 mainly have the same system sellers.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

also the only reason ps4 is not beating switch in sales, is xbox,, they have stepped up there game with great deals on the S, and made great premium with the X.

Hahahahahahahahahahah

whats' so funny about this? nobody expected xbox to be so close to ps4/switch in jan. xbox and ps4 have the same system sellers and it's selling strong, xbox is taking sales from ps4, it's obvious. 

Congrats to Switch!! Demand for the console continues being super high despite it not getting big games last month.

Alkibiádēs said:
PS4 got MHW, Street Fighter V; Arcade Edition and Dragonball FighterZ and Switch still won? Damn! Just imagine what things will be like when a big title hits the Switch!

Imagine when Pokémon releases 

Edit: Also, congrats to Monster Hunter World . The doubters were wrong.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 21 February 2018

Around the Network

Anyway,what we know:

Hardware total > 1 million
3DS > 3DS in january 2013 = 3DS > 226k
Previous best Xbox january = 229k (2014)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Great Switch and PS4 numbers. I'm glad the Bethesda games are in the Top 10, their support is greatly appreciated. Aldo, damn, MHW is killing it, even on the XBOne. Will it become the best selling japanese game on the platform?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

FloatingWaffles said:
Intrinsic said:

When did monster hunter become a major release in NA? And some are talking like the game is exclusive to the PS4 in NA.

How did the PS4 do in japan?

You might not consider it a major release, but the game was obviously intended to be big. Capcom even said that Monster Hunter World was their attempt at bringing the game a bigger audience worldwide, they wanted/intended for it to be a huge release. 

The PS4 did great in Japan thanks to Monster Hunter World for a few weeks, gave it quite the boost. Obviously Monster Hunter is much bigger in Japan than the rest of the world, but that's why Monster Hunter World exists in the first place, Capcom wanted to try to make it bigger in the rest of the world. 

Plus, even if you don't think it's a major release or anything, it still is much more than the Switch had that month. Switch literally had like nothing that was noteworthy in January, where as PS4 at least had DragonBall Fighter Z and Monster Hunter World, so that's why it's pretty amazing that Switch still outsold everything since it shows that even in a month where the system doesn't have any big game releases it can still sell well just on the hardware itself. 

Not gonna lie I don't understand the reasoning of most here these days.

Should we just all pretend like the PS4 hasn't already sold like 20M+ in NA already? Hasn't had the bulk of the japanese heavy hitters already too, which means those interested in games like these would mostly have got the PS4. Or should we pretend that Monster hunter is suddenly a system seller in NA? Or that the PS4 is in its 5th year?

You wanna see where its really care about and has an effect? look at japan. 

Couldn't it also be that capcom intended to sell this game to the already established PS4 userbase? 

Like its great that the NS won, but do we really have to find ways to make everything else look bad to emphasize its win?

If you ask me, that the PS4 is even holding its own to a new console is a feat in of itself.

Pubg on Xbox at #4 even though it's only 30$ is crazy. Games doing great.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Stuart23 said:
Anyway,what we know:

Hardware total > 1 million
3DS > 3DS in january 2013 = 3DS > 226k
Previous best Xbox january = 229k (2014)

Nope, its the best 3DS Jan since 2013 so less than 2013 sales which were under 150k.

Jan 2014, 2015 & 2016 (most likely 2017) were all under 100k for 3DS.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.