By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How much sleep do you need?

I aim for 7-8 hours a night. If I'm off work I'll usually sleep less though, probably 5 hours a night when I get a week off.

Around the Network

I'm going to get around 4.5 hours of sleep tonight... ugh. Is the extra money really worth it.,,

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

During the week I generally only sleep 5-7 hours. On the weekends 9-10.

Minimum 6 hours. Any less than 5 hours, and my body will hate me.

Bristow9091 said:
Mr_No said:
Minimum 6 hours. Any less than 5 hours, and my body will hate me.

Imagine getting two hours of sleep, then waking up less than an hour before doing a ten hour shift at work... then your body would REALLY hate you :P 

Do you use coffee to wake up?

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Do you use coffee to wake up?

No, I actually don't really drink coffee, or tea, that often... and I very rarely have energy drinks too.

So, how do you wake yourself up then?

Bristow9091 said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, how do you wake yourself up then?

On occasions in the past I've actually gone a 3-4 days at a time without any sleep at all, maybe a half hour nap through the days or something, then I'd just crash and wouldn't wake up for at least 14-16 hours... last time it happened was in the first half of last year, which resulted in me having to go back to see my therapist (For a different reason to the first time) and I ended up cutting down hours at work from 80+ a week (Yeah I know, RIDICULOUS... the other mods called me crazy too!) to a standard 40, but as it was getting closer to Christmas we found ourselves short staffed so I offered to work the extra hours until we found new people... turns out it was a trap (Or so I think) and now I'm stuck working around 60 hours a week. 

Yeah, and sounds like they roped you in to working more hours to me. I also don't understand how working over 80 hours is legal.

Bristow9091 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah, and sounds like they roped you in to working more hours to me. I also don't understand how working over 80 hours is legal.

Spend a day in my workplace, working for my corrupt managers, and you'll forget the very definition of "legal", lol

Yeah, that sounds like a breeding ground for suicide or murder People can only go so far before they snap.

I usually get 6. 7 hours is a pretty good spot for me. Any more than that and I start to feel drowsy.

Do you guys know how there's that one thread that convinces you to finally transition from being a "lurker" to being involved in a conversation?

This is that thread for me, I'm an RPSGT, and I work in Sleep Medicine at a large hospital. 

Anyone getting less than 6 hours of sleep is going to have a severely shortened life-span. The normal amount of sleep a person needs can vary between 6-10 hours. 

VGPolyglot said:
Depends on my mood. When I'm depressed I still feel tired even with 12 hours or more, but when I'm really up I am fine with like 5 hours. I generally try to get 8 hours in a day.

When a person is depressed, they tend to sleep for longer periods of time, and have a much higher REM density. (Percentage of REM in TST or Total Sleep Time)

Sleep is divided into 4 separate stages with their own unique functions and features. These stages are as follows: N1 N2 N3 and REM. If anyone has any questions I'd be really happy to provide insight into how sleep works.