By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama's presidential portrait revealed (with controversy)

Portrait good?

Yes 12 38.71%

No 19 61.29%

Total:31
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Aeolus451 said:

You're not gonna progressive your way out of this but I do applaud you for responding. If a white person painted the scene in reverse, you would say that it was racist and the painter is likely a racist. You are excusing actual racism. Why not just call it what it is? Non-racist people don't paint shit like that. Paintings are created to be presented as is with no extra context. It works just like that when a person buys it and puts it on display. It never comes with an essay or explanation to add context. It doesn't work the same as a quote. Sure, an artist will sometimes elaborate on the meaning of a painting but that's with abstract art with splashes of paint. These paintings are clear as day. Either way, he's not gonna rat on himself. 

"progressive" my way out of it? Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a bit? I'm not even "that" progressive ...

I'm not excusing racism. They could be racist and if they are, then that's a bad thing and people should respond as such. If they aren't racist then the artist still probably isn't the best selection for a Presidential portrait, but it at least takes him out of the racist category. All I've communicated thus far is that I'm not sure of the context in which these were created. It's hard because, with any kind of art that requires some nuance (think of "Rape Me" by Nirvana, or for a very interesting example the genitalia of females in the work "In the Realms of the Unreal") to accept it's value, you're always going to have counter arguments that could easily ruin any positive interpretation of that piece. 

If I told you for example that the paintings meant to depict racism through death were actually takes on the already morbid paintings of Judith beheading Holofernes  ... your response would probably be something along the lines of "Oh, that's just an excuse to depict racism!" Well, how am I supposed to say that point is true or false when so much of art is based on your interpretation? I don't know if setting up these pictures as modern takes on such paintings is just an excuse to promote racism, and I could never know because I'm not the artist. Based on what I know, i'm not comfortable making an assumption either way.  

Here's what we know about Kehinde Wiley's frame of mind while making these paintings, according to him. We know that he is a provocateur by nature. He is quoted as saying "I think at its best what art is doing is setting up a set of provocations". Whether or not you agree, it is a dangerous standard to completely attack this idea as it's the basis of so much art out there. We also know the story of Holofernes beheading is revolved around the fact that he was trying to destroy the city where Judith lived. She pretended to be on Holofernes side, seduced him, and then killed him in his sleep. This is very interesting when you think, for even a second, about the context of white superiority throughout history. In these paintings, the beheading is of white women and it is because it has to do with the standard of beauty throughout historical paintings, as well as the stereotypes regarding black women. According to him of course.

From his viewpoint, I imagine that in order to get his point across he wanted to be as provocative as possible. You can even find quotes that are so, so easy to use in order to make him look racist. He even admits that it's "sort of a play on the 'kill whitey' thing". But is that provocation or racism? I'm not sure, and it's easy to interpret it either way. 

What I do know is that people are saying false things such as "He is mostly known for" or "He mostly does" - paintings of black people beheading white people. That is completely untrue though. Only two paintings in his extensive collection even have such a theme. He was mostly known for doing paintings similar to the one in the OP of black males (he started to incorporate more black females as time went on). Here is his website with his works. These specific paintings are suddenly important though outside of the art community because he must be racist ... 

Originally the reason I didn't respond to you was exactly because I didn't have the context for the paintings, which is why I find it ironic that you immediately accuse me of hypocrisy. "If a white person painted the scene in reverse, you would say that it was racist and the painter is likely a racist." No I wouldn't. Why would I? If I don't know who the subjects in the painting are, why would I automatically assume that it's racist because the victim is black and the perpetrator is white? What if the painting was of Bill Cosby being decapitated by one of his victims?  You have no way of knowing this and it's odd that you made this claim because I don't even contribute to political threads much at all, so I don't know why you automatically assumed I'm a racist liberal...

Do I think the art is in bad taste? ... Kind of. I've never really been a fan politically of the idea that people under systemic racism or whatever you want to call it, should push back by representing ideas that are brutal and vulgar. But it's an art piece, and as an art piece it is interesting. I can't say I agree with it, I can't say it isn't racist, it could be. I can't even say I understand it 100%. But it is up for debate and it isn't a fact he's a racist. And really, does it matter when the painting in this thread is about something completely different? No. Maybe they should have thought this one through a bit more but I don't see the President hiding a kill all whitey's sign behind the bushes. I don't even care that much, the only reason I've responded with such detail is because I can't stand that you have to jump to conclusions, stereotype people, and try to dumb this down into a discussion over party lines when it has nothing to do with that ... racist are racists. If you're accusing me of being a damn dirty liberal defending racism, then call me a racist right now.

By the way, you say the paintings aren't given with context but both paintings are literally named, you guessed it, "Judith and Holofernes". 

I never accused you of being racist but you're making excuses and doing alot of mental gymnastics to avoid acknowledging that those paintings are racist. You're giving this guy alot of undue leniency. That's what I mean by trying to progressive your way out of this. I mean you brought up Nirvana's "Rape me" and paintings of vaginas as something comparative to these paintings.

I bet that some of the recent posters will have a similar response as you, go thru the same mental gymnastics as you and won't call this shit for what it is or unlike you, they just ignore it. There's no positive interpretation of this kind of shit. An artistic license doesn't excuse racist behavior. There's alot of songs, adverts and artwork that doesn't get any leeway like this because it's art.

If Trump hired a white artist to do a presidential portrait of him and his wife then it turns out that the artist painted paintings of white women with a cocky look on their face while holding a knife and the severed head of a black woman, how do you think that would realistically play out?

Obama should have looked into this asshat beyond his skin color and that he can do a fairly decent portrait of black people before hiring him. 

Around the Network

Compared to all other presidential portraits, this one is really, really bad.

Who gave the okay for that?

Edit: Nevermind, just read on Wikipedia that

A painted portrait of Barack Obama was unveiled on February 12, 2018 for the Smithsonian, but this is not his official White House portrait.

Last edited by Kaneman! - on 14 February 2018

Aeolus451 said:

He also paints other interesting things into his paintings. 😽

Those are pretty clearly in reference to this painting by Carravagio:

It's Judith beheading Holofernes for raping her. Make of that what you will.

I actually like this guys style and I also like the leafy garden paradise theme he went with for Obama. I could go full art analysis and why all of this is probably significant, but all in all I like that one. I don't think he did Michelle justice though.

As for the sperm....you had an entire vine background to work with and you decide to go with wierd buldge on his face instead? Come on!

NightDragon83 said:

Haha I didn't even notice the "sperm" on his forehead (although he was known to some as "Bathhouse Barry" back in the day, so maybe a little facial isn't that far-fetched for him.)

Aside from looking like he's situated in front of the outfield wall at Wrigley, the other thing everyone started pointing out after the portrait was unveiled is what looks like an extra finger on his left hand...

https://pjmedia.com/trending/artist-give-obama-extra-finger-go-freakishly-large-hands/

Also his hands are the size if his forearms in this portrait.  I know his hands are big compared to Trump's "tiny hands", but they make Andre The Giant's hands look small here.

For one....what? are people really too stupid to reconise that a hand has a fleshy muscular part below the pinky finger? It starts next to the knuckle, below the ligament. The shadow is maybe a little stark, but there is nothing anatomically surprising about this hand. That part also starts sagging with age, btw. And how on earth do you not reconize the 'spare middle finger' as a pinky finger?

As for the forearm bit, a little bit on actual body proportions (on average, variations on this is what gives characters uniqueness in character design and what makes us reconize Trumps hands as 'tiny') :

Normally your feet are roughly the size of your forearm. If you put your thumb into the crook of your elbow and lay your hand on the inside of your arm, your index finger will reach your wrist. (If it doesn't you have disproportionally short fingers).

Again, the way his hands are positioned with his arms crossed just below the wrists, there's nothing particuliarily surprising about the anatomy. Ombama has long fingers, but it's not a big exaggeration, or anything.  (For abnormally large hands look at the stature of David by michelangelo, he accounted for the frog perspective that the average viewer of the statute woud have, looking up at him from the floor and gave him larger hands and head to visually shorten the perspective.)

SpokenTruth said:
SuperNova said:

Those are pretty clearly in reference to this painting by Carravagio:

-snip-

It's Judith beheading Holofernes for raping her. Make of that what you will.

I actually like this guys style and I also like the leafy garden paradise theme he went with for Obama. I could go full art analysis and why all of this is probably significant, but all in all I like that one. I don't think he did Michelle justice though.

As for the sperm....you had an entire vine background to work with and you decide to go with wierd buldge on his face instead? Come on!

Shhhhh.   Don't go bringing up art and history into a biased, emotionally fueled, context lacking hit thread. 

Ugh...sorry, I studied art and illustration. It's a reflex by this point. Can't.....turn....it....off. :(

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said: 

How? How am I doing mental gymnastics to not paint him as a racist? I am LITERALLY telling you that these paintings could be racist. HOW is that not acknowledging racism? The only reason you are even arguing anymore is because I'm not saying that these paintings are 100% racist ... 

I even provided a quote that is really easy to use to paint him as a racist. Why would I provide that quote if I had an agenda to not make him look like a racist? All my reply did was give most of the knowledge and perspective we know about these paintings. Draw your own conclusion. Mine is that it's debatable, but it's also likely that it's not racist. 

If Trump hired an artist to do these paintings but in reverse, in an alternate reality, then I would again look for the context. What's so hard to believe about that? I usually don't look at a painting depicting different people clashing as instantly racist if they have different skin tones.

Trump is actually an excellent example. Aren't you a Trump fan? Then it's hilarious that you are actually stereotyping these paintings as racist without any real knowledge of  them ... whilst supporting Trump. Trump says things that on the surface can be seen as racist , ALL THE FUCKING TIME! Yet his supporters are constantly saying something along the lines of : "Look at the context!" or "That's not racist!" or perhaps the best one "He is just using plain speak!" To clarify, I don't even necessarily think  Trump is racist. And on occasion, when he's been accused of saying something racist I have felt as though his words were being misconstrued at the moment to be negative. But funny how someone who's a fan of a politician who's wording literally needs to be defended day and night because it's so poor ... attacks a painting as racist. But hey, I guess when it's something you don't like it's "mental gymnastics" and not clarification. It depends on your interpretation, to be quite honest.  

By the way, how is Nirvana's Rape Me NOT a prime example of what I'm talking about? That song got instantly accused of promoting Rape and was quite infamous when it was first airing ... now that it's old and Kurt's dead of course everyone sees it as a metaphor. The example of "vagina paintings" is not an example of vagina paintings at all. In The Realms of the Unreal was a series done by an outsider artist who had mental health issues and made a series of really odd paintings. He painted an epic war of good vs. evil and he used young girls as the main characters who were soldiers of good. He painted girls as having male genitalia and to this day it's not known why. Some speculate it's because he thinks of being a Soldier as masculine, others think he was a homosexual, some even think he might have went his whole life without knowing what the female genitalia is(and it's actually pretty plausible as a theory). This might be a random point of reference, and well ... it is. But the point is that such a small detail, to this day, gets interpreted a million different ways. So why can't a whole painting?

Like I said, my last reply was meant to both clarify why I'm neutral on the artist as well as provide context about the art and artist. You can make your own decision. And if that decision is that he's racist than great, go for it. But don't accuse me of shit when your basis is weak AF. 

I still can't believe I went through the trouble of looking up context when it's so clear that the only context you had was right wing tweets and blogs. Jesus Christ. 

Aeolus451 said:

I never accused you of being racist but you're making excuses and doing alot of mental gymnastics to avoid acknowledging that those paintings are racist. You're giving this guy alot of undue leniency. That's what I mean by trying to progressive your way out of this. I mean you brought up Nirvana's "Rape me" and paintings of vaginas as something comparative to these paintings.

I bet that some of the recent posters will have a similar response as you, go thru the same mental gymnastics as you and won't call this shit for what it is or unlike you, they just ignore it. There's no positive interpretation of this kind of shit. An artistic license doesn't excuse racist behavior. There's alot of songs, adverts and artwork that doesn't get any leeway like this because it's art.

If Trump hired a white artist to do a presidential portrait of him and his wife then it turns out that the artist painted paintings of white women with a cocky look on their face while holding a knife and the severed head of a black woman, how do you think that would realistically play out?

Obama should have looked into this asshat beyond his skin color and that he can do a fairly decent portrait of black people before hiring him. 

It is, for the very least, relevant as context that these works are within a larger series of works of recreations of historical paintings that replace the main subjects with black individuals. I think, with that in mind, it's somewhat believable that the intention of the artist in the creation of the work was innocent.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QmADVHQt7_0/T5i5LBFMyaI/AAAAAAAAPdE/DpnIGX8GkyU/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/DSC_0549.JPG

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Jacques_Louis_David_-_Bonaparte_franchissant_le_Grand_Saint-Bernard%2C_20_mai_1800_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg/220px-Jacques_Louis_David_-_Bonaparte_franchissant_le_Grand_Saint-Bernard%2C_20_mai_1800_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

http://popcurious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/3Charles.jpg

http://www.irequireart.com/i/artwork/882-image-1600-1600-fit.jpg

http://www.artnet.com/WebServices/images/ll773396llgRq2CfDrCWBHBAD/kehinde-wiley-the-three-graces,-1881-1956.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Rapha%C3%ABl_-_Les_Trois_Gr%C3%A2ces_-_Google_Art_Project_2.jpg/300px-Rapha%C3%ABl_-_Les_Trois_Gr%C3%A2ces_-_Google_Art_Project_2.jpg

https://rfc.museum/images/stories/BtC/Wiley-K/Wiley-K_TriplePortraitOfCharles_I.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Triple_portrait_of_Charles_I.jpg/918px-Triple_portrait_of_Charles_I.jpg

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

RolStoppable said:

This post makes me wonder if you are lying about your age.

No, that's definitely his age, haha! 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

"progressive" my way out of it? Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a bit? I'm not even "that" progressive ...

I'm not excusing racism. They could be racist and if they are, then that's a bad thing and people should respond as such. If they aren't racist then the artist still probably isn't the best selection for a Presidential portrait, but it at least takes him out of the racist category. All I've communicated thus far is that I'm not sure of the context in which these were created. It's hard because, with any kind of art that requires some nuance (think of "Rape Me" by Nirvana, or for a very interesting example the genitalia of females in the work "In the Realms of the Unreal") to accept it's value, you're always going to have counter arguments that could easily ruin any positive interpretation of that piece. 

If I told you for example that the paintings meant to depict racism through death were actually takes on the already morbid paintings of Judith beheading Holofernes  ... your response would probably be something along the lines of "Oh, that's just an excuse to depict racism!" Well, how am I supposed to say that point is true or false when so much of art is based on your interpretation? I don't know if setting up these pictures as modern takes on such paintings is just an excuse to promote racism, and I could never know because I'm not the artist. Based on what I know, i'm not comfortable making an assumption either way.  

Here's what we know about Kehinde Wiley's frame of mind while making these paintings, according to him. We know that he is a provocateur by nature. He is quoted as saying "I think at its best what art is doing is setting up a set of provocations". Whether or not you agree, it is a dangerous standard to completely attack this idea as it's the basis of so much art out there. We also know the story of Holofernes beheading is revolved around the fact that he was trying to destroy the city where Judith lived. She pretended to be on Holofernes side, seduced him, and then killed him in his sleep. This is very interesting when you think, for even a second, about the context of white superiority throughout history. In these paintings, the beheading is of white women and it is because it has to do with the standard of beauty throughout historical paintings, as well as the stereotypes regarding black women. According to him of course.

From his viewpoint, I imagine that in order to get his point across he wanted to be as provocative as possible. You can even find quotes that are so, so easy to use in order to make him look racist. He even admits that it's "sort of a play on the 'kill whitey' thing". But is that provocation or racism? I'm not sure, and it's easy to interpret it either way. 

What I do know is that people are saying false things such as "He is mostly known for" or "He mostly does" - paintings of black people beheading white people. That is completely untrue though. Only two paintings in his extensive collection even have such a theme. He was mostly known for doing paintings similar to the one in the OP of black males (he started to incorporate more black females as time went on). Here is his website with his works. These specific paintings are suddenly important though outside of the art community because he must be racist ... 

Originally the reason I didn't respond to you was exactly because I didn't have the context for the paintings, which is why I find it ironic that you immediately accuse me of hypocrisy. "If a white person painted the scene in reverse, you would say that it was racist and the painter is likely a racist." No I wouldn't. Why would I? If I don't know who the subjects in the painting are, why would I automatically assume that it's racist because the victim is black and the perpetrator is white? What if the painting was of Bill Cosby being decapitated by one of his victims?  You have no way of knowing this and it's odd that you made this claim because I don't even contribute to political threads much at all, so I don't know why you automatically assumed I'm a racist liberal...

Do I think the art is in bad taste? ... Kind of. I've never really been a fan politically of the idea that people under systemic racism or whatever you want to call it, should push back by representing ideas that are brutal and vulgar. But it's an art piece, and as an art piece it is interesting. I can't say I agree with it, I can't say it isn't racist, it could be. I can't even say I understand it 100%. But it is up for debate and it isn't a fact he's a racist. And really, does it matter when the painting in this thread is about something completely different? No. Maybe they should have thought this one through a bit more but I don't see the President hiding a kill all whitey's sign behind the bushes. I don't even care that much, the only reason I've responded with such detail is because I can't stand that you have to jump to conclusions, stereotype people, and try to dumb this down into a discussion over party lines when it has nothing to do with that ... racist are racists. If you're accusing me of being a damn dirty liberal defending racism, then call me a racist right now.

By the way, you say the paintings aren't given with context but both paintings are literally named, you guessed it, "Judith and Holofernes". 

This post makes me wonder if you are lying about your age.

Quoting this so you can't edit it away.

estebxx said:
KLXVER said: