By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SOTC vs BOTW - Which is graphically more impressive?

Which is graphically more impressive?

Zelda 49 41.88%

Shadow 68 58.12%

Total:117
SpokenTruth said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Shadow of the Colossus and its not even close. The foliage, lighting, resolution and framerate are all superior and on top of it SOTC has incredible HDR that really pops out.

People saying Zelda is more graphically more impressive because of artstyle are deliberately spinning it into a Nintendo wins thing, when graphics are objectively better in SOTC. You can prefer either artstyle but that's not graphics, those are called visuals and graphics is a more technical term.

The entire purpose of this thread was to create a Sony wins thing.  It's so transparent that people are calling Zelda almost out of protest for such an inane thread.

100% this. And GPWTLOZ is obviously guilty of console warring with that comment. Graphics are bound to artstyle, making each game unique. And THAT is entirely subjective. Always.

Around the Network

For Me, BOTW. I love the art style much more.The soft pastel palette, and gouache style just speak to me more than the tried and true browns of realism. And for a game that's essentially a Wii U port, that's impressive.

Now in terms of overall cinematic presentation, SOTC wipes the floor with Zelda. Nintendo does need to work on that if they're wanting to add more to Zelda's storytelling presentation wise. Technically, yes SOTC wins by default, being developed on a device several time stronger than a Wii U from the ground up. Nintendo's team would be flattered that somebody is actually comparing a Wii U game to a PS4 game technically.

But overall, this is kind of strange to compare a cel shaded game to a photorealistic game. Doesn't make much sense really. There are games that try to achieve a certain style, doesn't mean the art department is not more capable or anything of the sort. 

Edit: Gotta say though, haven't seen a grass mesh/shader combination better than Zelda's yet, not even in SOTC remake.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 06 February 2018

I didn’t buy my Switch for the graphics.

Zelda is fantastic, but really?

Zelda looks great but trying to compare it graphically against a PS4 title seems a bit silly.

SOTC wins this graphics comparison.

Still love Zelda wind waker graphics on Gamecube. Still looks great and appealing to me.  Full of character and atmosphere. Fantastic art style but certainly not an indicator of Gamecube graphic power as its very simplistic visuals (doesn't compare to rogue squadron) and same is true of BOTW for me, amazing art style but only needing fairly humble hardware to achieve. The wii u is only 176 gflops which was pretty much confirmed at the end, a tenth of the power of a standard ps4 gpu. It's not a game that maxes out the Switch graphic hardware we can expect more of the Switch in the future surely. 

So for me graphically more impressive is something BOTW doesn't even compare on because that implies technical performance even if BOTW is more pleasing artistically. I know people keep writing cartoon graphics with simplistic textures are as demanding as realistic graphics but no matter how often that is written it will still never be true.  Wind waker was achieved with 8 gflops.

-_- too obvious ..this is a stupid thread and a stupid question. Intentions of the OP are obvious unless you're an idiot

Around the Network

SotC is simply more impressive, period. No need to compare parts.
Botw is king in content, yet no replayability for me. SotC 4th play through incoming.

Its pretty obvious graphically which is better

Chazore said:
BoTW without question.

How so? 

Isn't it obvious? .Which art style do you prefer?' would have been a better question.

The PS5 Exists. 

We're talking the remake here, right? Then yes, it's going to be SotC. Though BotW has a wonderful art style.