By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shadow of the Colossus: Official Colossal Photography thread

Now I know why I was subconsciously procrastinating finishing SotC, that final fight with the camera. Ugh, it almost ruins the game and is the reason why I never complete a second play through. I spend an hour of frustration on it again, started to feel a little nauseous from all the movement. Then after finally getting it I don't feel like watching the end sequence at all as I'm still too frustrated and angry to pay attention.

Not to break my controller I started recording my final attempts instead, edited 7 minutes together to calm down instead of watching the cut scene. So here's the final part of the hour of frustration. I've climbed that fucking thing 20 times at last, feels like a hundred.

This is the reason why ICO is still the best Team ICO game. It doesn't leave me angry at the end. TLG has the same problem with the final fight, it's just not fun to play that part.

Oh, the final kick in the ass, starting share factory closes the application, not suspend, and it didn't save after defeating the final colossus. Fuck you game. Not going to do it again today, might not tomorrow either, back to GT Sport. I'll calm down again and finish it another time, still one of the best games ever. Unfortunately the last 2 boss fights are not fun to play, just annoying.

That jump from his right hand to his shoulder, one thing that ruins it all.

Around the Network
Machina said:

The ending sequence is so beautiful and rewarding after all the effort though!

The trick for the final boss is to stab the hands when you've moved yourself to the top of them. This stops him twisting his palms to counter your movements, and causes him to settle them. When done to the first hand it gives you time to run up the forearm and get in position to stab his arm wound. When you transfer over to the second hand and have made your way to the top of it, stab that one too and he'll level it out for a short while, giving you time to aim with your bow at his shoulder and fire off an arrow, which will in turn cause him to place his hand over the shoulder wound (delivering you relatively safely to his shoulder). Stabbing the second hand is definitely the easiest way to make it across when you get to that point.

Thanks! I never though about using the bow as there is just about a 2ms window to stand up after getting the camera to settle. Yet I never stabbed his hand either, too busy crawling into position, and with all the other colossi that just makes them more angry, game logic :/ Anyway that should make repeat fights a lot easier!

The end sequence is indeed beautiful, however when I'm all hyped up from an annoying boss battle I can never enjoy them. I guess I can leave it on pause next time in photo mode, walk the dog, then continue with the end sequence :)

Is there a similar trick in the previous fight? Dropping down in his right hand is very hit and miss, and then you have to wait until he finally stops walking for a second to get into position to stab.

I love this remake. So, much care has gone into it. My only problem with it is that it seems that the camera runs on the same code as the PS2 version, which is a shame. I hate that locking onto the colossus mainly looks at their face, which causes the camera to swing so high that you can no longer see your legs, and therefore where you are running, which defeats the whole purpose of locking onto them. The manual camera is no better, as it stays where you put it for just a second, and then rotates back to where it was. This makes running while looking at the colossus almost impossible, especially on terrain where you may fall.

Machina said:

Yep the trick is to drop down to the ground when the only sigil left is the one on his hand (and you've stabbed his wound on the arm so he drops his sword). Then position yourself a few metres in front of him and just stand still. Half the time he will raise his foot to stomp on you - if he does that run and roll out of the way. The other half of the time he'll slam his hand down on the ground and leave it there for a short while. Dodge the slam then run up to the hand and jump in-between the fingers. You should grab onto the fur and be able to finish off the last sigil quite easily.

Nice, that's a good time saver. I picked the game back up, followed your instructions and finished the last colossus on the first attempt :) I had plenty practice with the rest yesterday, just that one stab to the hand to keep him still, ugh.

Now I could enjoy the ending in peace.

Not sure what to do first now, so many options! I pressed continue which started normal+ automatically so I guess the same? When I chose new game+ from the menu and choose hard I start with minimal health, so that seems to just be a new game from the start. Except with the option to challenge colossi.

Anyway I defeated the first colossus in both time attack modes, first one is easy, well 2:42 of 2:45 on hard. Then I tried to climb the tower with my normal+ save yet I guess I need a whole lot more stamina for that. I tried resting on a ledge yet I can't get back to the vine from there, wall in the way.

Do you get more stamina from defeating the colossi again, or from time attack, or do I need to find more lizards?

Machina said:
SvennoJ said:

Now I could enjoy the ending in peace.

Mind if I use this image as the banner for an article I'm writing on SotC?

Not at all :)

I guess I missed the option to change difficulty when I continued with my completed save, as it just started normal(1)+.  Will check again. Selecting new game+ wiped my current stamina and health and shows as hard(0)+ in the save game.

Around the Network

some really amazing pictures.
Thank you for sharing.