By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Masters Degree

Anyone here have a masters degree? How difficult is it to obtain? I have 1.5 years left of my Bachelors in Information Technology. Army would pay for me to get my Masters, but I was wondering if it is even worth it and what it is like. 

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network
roadkillers said:

Anyone here have a masters degree? How difficult is it to obtain? I have 1.5 years left of my Bachelors in Information Technology. Army would pay for me to get my Masters, but I was wondering if it is even worth it and what it is like. 

That really depends on what you want to do.  If the job you want requires a Master's degree, go get one.  If not, then don't.

It also depends on what program you're in.  For me, I got a master's in education which was a 45 credit program (since my undergrad was not in education).  It wasn't all that hard, but that could be different depending on what school you go to.  Took about two years.  If I was a full time student, I imagine I could have done it in a year to a year and a half.

Honestly, this isn't the best place to ask.  You're way better off finding a forum or reddit or whatever in the field you're studying and ask there. I don't think many people here have a master's, and if they do, it's unlikely to be relevant to your experience.

If you don't have trouble to get a Bachelor you won't have trouble getting a master's. Though you should consider if it's actually worth it. Depending on your field, 2 years of work practice is sometimes more valuable than a degree that's slightly higher than what you already got.

edit: I just realized that you said IT. In that case the master is absolutely not worth the time. Work experience in IT counts for a lot more than a frankly, worthless degree. 2 years in master will actually slow down your progress, as did your bachelor.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It depends on your field. For example I'm studying Chemical Engineering and it's a big advantage to have a Masters, this may not be the same for you, you should ask your establishment and find out more information.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

roadkillers said:

If you get it for free it will probably be good, but mostly in the long run, as in 20 years you might get promoted because you have that degree.

Around the Network

Well I suppose I have four options after I obtain my Bachelor's.

1) Continue working in my current IT role and stop worrying about education
2) Persue my Masters Degree while I work in my current IT role and have the Army pay for it (I get paid to go as well)
3) Pursue a different degree that I haven't determined yet, possibly Waste Water while I'm working at my current IT job.
4) Join an IT field in the Army and see where that will lead me.

Personally my favorite part of IT is moving around and helping people with their computer issues. I probably cannot sit at a desk all day and write code. That sounds extremely tedious and honestly boring.

numberwang said: 
roadkillers said: 

If you get it for free it will probably be good, but mostly in the long run, as in 20 years you might get promoted because you have that degree.

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind a promotion down the line. Let's say the economy tanks again too, then I have a upper hand on my education compared to the joe right next to me.

vivster said: 

If you don't have trouble to get a Bachelor you won't have trouble getting a master's. Though you should consider if it's actually worth it. Depending on your field, 2 years of work practice is sometimes more valuable than a degree that's slightly higher than what you already got.

edit: I just realized that you said IT. In that case the master is absolutely not worth the time. Work experience in IT counts for a lot more than a frankly, worthless degree. 2 years in master will actually slow down your progress, as did your bachelor.

Yeah I hear that a lot. At the same time, if I were to have a full-time job and go for my Masters... maybe? I don't know

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

I’m currently pursuing my Master’s degree, and I find a lot easier than my Bachelor’s, since you’re able to focus on what you want to specialize in and not waste time with general education courses. Like you, my company also pays for it, so my only real investment is time.

Like most things in life though, there’s no guarantee of higher pay when you finish, so I’d only pursue it if you’re genuinely interested in higher learning.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

A free master's degree AND getting paid to boot? I'd say go for it, especially if you're already working and getting work experience.

roadkillers said: 
vivster said: 

Yeah I hear that a lot. At the same time, if I were to have a full-time job and go for my Masters... maybe? I don't know

Why would you do your master when you already have a job?

In what field do you want to work? I'm assuming programming?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Masters in most IT fields is relatively easy, having said that it is an utter waste of time and effort. I wish I had not done mine as really it just wasted a couple of years of earning potential, a masters except in a few fringe cases means bugger all in IT as experience counts for exponentially more. Hell when I interview people (unless it is for a grad position) I don't care what uni qualifications they have, it only matters what they have done post university.

PS: when I say it is a waste of time, I mean that from a career perspective, if you enjoy study and want to concentrate of raising your education in a specific field then go for it, just don't expect it to have any significant bearing on your career prospects.

Last edited by nanarchy - on 05 February 2018