By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2017 vs. 2018: Final Results!!!

PAOerfulone said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I did expect a 75k boost (280k-300k weekly sales), which was probably already below what most people expected, and even that is not getting beaten yet. While Japan pulled the number down a bit, it can't be the only reason. Probably got undertracked due to poor Amazon availability in several countries, we'll see.

About the Switch, yeah it will most probably down, but the weeks after that will quickly turn it back into growing numbers for this year as the heavy supply issues kick in for 2017.

Well, I didn't expect Japan to help because God of War sells about as well as Ice Cream during winter in Japan. But if I recall correctly, there was a special PS4 Pro bundle for God of War that sold out almost instantly when it was available. Now granted, they don't ship nearly as many Pro models as they do Slim models. But I still find it hard to believe that it only did an extra 40-50k, especially with the recent news of God of War already selling over three million copies in its first weekend.

And I agree with you on the Switch bit.

I was expecting around 40-50k for the GoW Pro model, and the same again as standard sales boost. But with those sales numbers, it would seem that many would have chosen to upgrade to the Pro, and the increased number in used consoles would have eaten up the sales of the base model. Otherwise I don't see any real possible explanation to such low numbers

Around the Network

Week 17/April 28th numbers have been added.

Thanks to Golden Week, the PS4 was able to go slightly above last year's week by a little over 8,000.
The Xbox One continues to build on its YoY lead.
The Nintendo Switch was down considerably this week due to last year being the release of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Week 18 (May 5th) numbers have been added.

2018 PS4 continues to fall behind 2017, by another 50k to be exact. And with 2017 showing no signs of slowing down, Sony better do something soon if they want to be up YoY, or this one could be over.

2018 Xbox One continues to grow its lead over 2017, albeit its weekly lead noticeably dipped this week.

2018 Nintendo Switch was able to make up the ground they lost last week to 2017's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe week, and then some. Given the severe stock issues the Switch was plagued with throughout the summer of last year, we can expect to see it to continue to add to its lead for the rest of the year.

PAOerfulone said:

2018 PS4 continues to fall behind 2017, by another 50k to be exact. And with 2017 showing no signs of slowing down, Sony better do something soon if they want to be up YoY, or this one could be over.

2018 Xbox One continues to grow its lead over 2017, albeit its weekly lead noticeably dipped this week.

2018 Nintendo Switch was able to make up the ground they lost last week to 2017's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe week, and then some. Given the severe stock issues the Switch was plagued with throughout the summer of last year, we can expect to see it to continue to add to its lead for the rest of the year.

I dont think Sony has any plans of making PS4 up YOY considering they are forcasting to be down by 3 million in fiscal year shipments.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
PAOerfulone said:

I dont think Sony has any plans of making PS4 up YOY considering they are forcasting to be down by 3 million in fiscal year shipments.

Well shoot. It's a good thing I added the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch to this comparison thread, otherwise this would have gotten pretty boring. Though, if 2018 falls behind 2017 badly enough, I may have to bring back my 2016 and 2015 PS4 numbers to make it interesting again.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
zorg1000 said:

Well shoot. It's a good thing I added the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch to this comparison thread, otherwise this would have gotten pretty boring. Though, if 2018 falls behind 2017 badly enough, I may have to bring back my 2016 and 2015 PS4 numbers to make it interesting again.

That actually sounds interesting already. Those years were around 17M for the PS4 and SONY is predicting 16M for this FY. So with the early push due to Monster Hunter World, I could see 2018 landing around 17M too if everything else is on track for the 16M forecast for the financial year

Let's see if PS4 will keep it's downward trajectory while competitors rise.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I just posted the latest Week 19 numbers to all three tables.

In addition, major hardware adjustments were made that I also updated.

The Xbox One and Nintendo Switch were adjusted down considerably. Although, they are both still up YoY over last year. However, their leads are nowhere near as comfortable as before.

The PS4 was adjusted up by just a little bit.
The difference between the three is that the PS4's adjustments were limited to just God of War week and the weeks following its launch. Whereas the Xbox One and Switch's adjustments were made all throughout the year.

Week 20/May 19th numbers have been added.

Week 21 numbers have been added.