By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IHE Talks Mario Animated Movie

despite his name, there is sound logic and reason behind each IHE video, and he does make valid points to why he dislikes each of the things that he does. he has also made multiple videos shaming Illumination's practices in the animation industry and i kind of agree with him. Illumination makes movies by cutting every possible corner just to try to maximize profits, and for that reason I cant see the Mario movie being very good. because they are just using to Mario name to gain publicity and then cut enough corners to lower costs to a point where they are guaranteed profit regardless of quality.

Around the Network

I really don't like the idea of a Mario movie. The medium is not suited to represent a franchise that is all gameplay and almost no story. They would have been better making a WindWaker movie. Cell shaded animation is fine, they can make cute mascots and characters, the plot is simple to follow...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The part were said to get the people who made the emoji movie to make it i.e. Sony (don't think Nintendo would have them make a Mario movie) made me cringe a little. Also I don't get why they think this movie needs to be or should be aimed at adults in anyway?

Overall while I get were they're coming from I don't think they make much of a case to worry me in anyway. Also I do know IHE has a big bias against minions. I mean I get why he hates them, but they still became a worldwide sensation that many adore still to this day whether he likes it or not. Also something not aimed at kids not adults which I feel like he doesn't get.

<iframe src="https://open.spotify.com/embed?uri=spotify:track:3HEEsPBTiJ5LHrmFqFTZ3M" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Last edited by Green098 - on 28 February 2018

CaptainExplosion said:
Yerm said:
despite his name, there is sound logic and reason behind each IHE video, and he does make valid points to why he dislikes each of the things that he does. he has also made multiple videos shaming Illumination's practices in the animation industry and i kind of agree with him. Illumination makes movies by cutting every possible corner just to try to maximize profits, and for that reason I cant see the Mario movie being very good. because they are just using to Mario name to gain publicity and then cut enough corners to lower costs to a point where they are guaranteed profit regardless of quality.

And yet their movies make millions with every release.

Guess audiences seem to love Illumination's movies despite the reviews.

Are you insinuating that audiences are idiots?

if you make anything flashy enough, people will notice it. Illumination is fully aware of this, but it doesnt mean they make good movies

I’m cautiously optimistic about this one!

Around the Network

I watch Beyond the trailer (Grace Randolph) and she made some pretty good points that i thought of too. When you look at Illuminations numbers, they are huge globall around the world and are really good at publishing movies everywhere. Nintendo being a global company, that's a really good partership. Studios like pixar (which would have never worked btw since they have a theme park st Universal, wouldn't make any sense) have much more difficulties getting success outside the US. And Illuminate don't make terrible movies, its just that lately their franchises are more dumb and child oriented but hey lots of people like them since 2 of them made a billion dollar, which doesn't happen a lot with animation movies (i think only Frozen, DM3 and Minions did it maybe Dory and Toy Story 3 not sure.) So with Nintendo working on with them, we might end up with some interesting adventure with a global success. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/wUqTckOxx4g

Edit : Also, for a first movie from Nintendo  (yes the first idk what you're talking about), it is really important that they have some success to it and Illumination don't have many flops if any and their movies are never that horrible just dumb franchise (which again, they won't make one with Mario since the franchise is already established.). Cause if the movie flops, even if its amazingly good, its really bad news for the theme park and attracting people to buy a Switch. 

Anyways, let's wait for the first trailer before we freak out. Let's be happy Nintendo is willing to expand their horizons and port their franchises to the big screen again. A successful mario movie (which have all the reasons to be), will probably bring more movies and TV shows. Who doesn't want a Zelda or Metroid movie? METROID could be possible with the slow death of the Aliens franchise

Last edited by xMetroid - on 01 February 2018

Lol when I saw the title I thought "IHE? Who's that? Is he from Nintendo? Illumination?" Then it turns out to be a thread aboit a ... youtuber ... Honestly who cares what IHE thinks. His distain for Illumination isn't exactly unique and we don't have enough information to make observations about the film, or to laugh with his.

CaptainExplosion said:
Yerm said:

if you make anything flashy enough, people will notice it. Illumination is fully aware of this, but it doesnt mean they make good movies

Despicable Me was good though.

Despicable Me (only the first one) was their best work, that i can agree to, but it is a solid C+ at best.

look, let me break it down for you so you can better understand where im coming from. the original Super Mario Bros movie did so terribly that even full decades later, it is still the reason Nintendo has not made another movie until now, because they are afraid it will be a repeat of last time and they will lose a ton of money. after the long period of fear and distrust of making another movie, they go to Illumination, the company notorious for making huge profits despite having a portfolio of sub-par forgettable movies. no matter the quality of the new Mario movie, they are guaranteed profit, and that is the reason they agreed to do it. they do not have any real faith that the Mario movie will be a good movie

Tbh I don't see where's the problem with a Mario movie: it's true, Mario was never an interesting protagonist, he was just fitting for the player, that doesn't mean he can't get a personality, nor does it mean he has to be on a journey to save Peach. The only real problem imho is that Charles Martinet MUSN'T talk in his Mario voice for all the movie, shure, he can throw a few "Mamma Mia!" in there but he should also talk in his regular voice to allow for the character to be able to talk freely. Talking about plot almost anything could fit: Mario & Cappy's Funky Holiday, an emotional movie where Mario realizes he doesn't have much to do unless Peach is in danger due to Bowser disappearing (I know, it's Wreck it Ralph, but it's also just an example from someone who isn't paid to make a script ), Bowser sending Mario in an alternative universe where he's the bad guy and Bowser the hero and he has to prove he's not harmful...