By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - D23 Expo Japan: are you ready for KH3? new D23 expo 2018 trailer!!!

Is this ps4 exclusive in Japan? Looks really good.

Around the Network
ZODIARKrebirth said:
11 New pieces of information from D23 Expo Japan that have shed some light on Kingdom Hearts 3

While the most crucial piece of information, the release date, is still unknown, at today’s D23 Expo Japan we received plenty of new information on Kingdom Hearts 3.
We have taken this information and summarised it for your reading pleasure.

1. Monsters Inc. World

In the latest trailer, “Monsters Inc.” was revealed as a new world. Following Toy Story, Monsters Inc. is the 2nd Pixar world that has been introduced into KH3. Taking on appearances similar to those of Mike and Sully, Sora and friends set out on an adventure in the new Monsters Inc world, with plenty of new gimmicks to play around with.

2. Utada Hikaru’s new song “Oath” set as the theme song

Having already compiled songs for both Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II, after 13 years Utada Hikaru returns again for the theme song of KHIII. The name of this one is “Oath”, which can be partly heard in the recent trailers.

3. Transformations of Gummi Ships to the Open World

A staple of the series, the highly customizable Gummi Ships are something you use to fly through space in order to reach brand new worlds. In KH3, they’re back again, with ever more the customizability. Additionally, what used to be linear stages have now been revamped into open world environments with a 360 degree view, where you may freely fly and travel as you see fit. The gameplay seems to have been separated into 2 phases: Battle Phase and Searching Phase. With the updated system and customizations, it’s become a much richer experience.

4. Worlds have become busier

One of the most compelling aspects of the Kingdom Hearts series is how you can travel around to many different Disney worlds. In KH3, effort has been put not only into the action developing on the battle field, but in the actual towns themselves. The presentation showed off the Rapunzel world, which contains a town surrounding the castle. The town contains countless NPCs who come and go, with houses and shops that line up the alleys. Compared to before, KH3 will really make you feel like you’re actually in the respective Disney worlds.

5. The programming for Rapunzel’s hair was extremely tough

Tangled was one of the first worlds announced and worked on but, the reason that there wasn’t much gameplay footage within there was, out of everything, the fact that in order to get Rapunzel’s hair to act in the way it does it took a huge amount of time. Up until now there hasn’t really been a character in a game with as much hair as Rapunzel, and so processing that hair was really tough. For a while, it was just floating there. During the presentation, however, we are shown scenes of Rapunzel walking, where her hair flows in the wind and falls completely naturally as if in real life. She’s also seen to be able to interact with environment using her hair, like wrapping it around a tree etc. which we think will go down in gaming history as the most effort ever put into a game character’s hair.

6. The background modelling was done by the largest team ever at Square Enix

In terms of development, one of the most vital parts were the backgrounds for the fields and towns. From Square Enix alone, the team developing the backgrounds in KH3 involved 80 people, and above that they also outsourced to studios overseas. This is a first in Square Enix, being the biggest team used for developing backgrounds ever. Look forward to seeing incredibly rich environments within KH3.

7. There’s a collaboration with Kingdom Hearts Union Cross

There seems to be some sort of collaboration going on with the Kingdom Heart’s series mobile app, “Kingdom Hearts Union Cross”. From today a collaboration with Final Fantasy Record Keeper has begun, which includes a Gummi Ship mini game within Record Keeper, a Gilgamesh and Kefka raid battle within Union Cross, and characters appearing as avatars in the classic Final Fantasy pixel style. As for collaborations with KH3 there was nothing in particular announced, however developers did talk about how they want to link KH3 and Union Cross in some way.

8. Each world is rich full of content, as if they are their own games

According to the developers, this Kingdom Hearts game is “on a whole different level”. In each and every world they have put the utmost effort, so much so that each world could be considered its own game with the amount of mechanics and gameplay that they have packed in. In the gameplay portion of the trailer, you could see Sora riding rockets, hanging from factory belts, there truly are many diverse elements that you can look forward to experiencing.

9. The appearance of “Giantland” in some form?

In the presentation, some images were showcased of the current development situation, and among those an image with the words “Giantland” was seen. It was quite a basic picture, and not seen within any of the footage shown of the KH3 gameplay, but there must be some intention of incorporating it into the game. “Giantland” is known in Japan as “Mickey’s Giant Conquest” which was released as an animated film in 1993, which was based on the English fairy tale, “Jack and the Beanstalk”. We wonder how this will be used within KH3…

10. Rare Heartless confirmed!

Kingdom Hearts 3 will include Rare Heartless which may only be defeating by using special strategies. Different from regular heartless, you’ll be able to do things like ride on their heads, and each will have designated missions prepared. We think these will become quite the important pieces of additional content to enjoy.

11. The last stage will involve something that Tetsuya Nomura has wanted to implement for a very long time

Tetsuya Nomura said that in KH3, the last stage will include “Something I have always wanted to do, ever since making Final Fantasy”. What was said was very vague, among it also was the input of the developers, who said very interesting things like: “You will be able to do anything” and “It will be compilation of everything up until now”. What they meant will probably remain a mystery until we can play it, but that whole segment really got us wondering…

Where did you copy this from?

Edit: Oh you got it from KHinsider, who got it from IGN Japan.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 10 February 2018

Acevil said:
Shadow8 said:
HYPE! Waited a long time for this and that Monsters Inc world looks very nice. Utada Hikaru made another great song as well. Where's my damn release date SqEx?!

Most likely a year or so off. I wouldn't get that hyped for release date being this year, this is Square Enix. 

It does so coming 2018 at the end of the trailer, so it is possible for this year. No firm date so I would expect it to be at the end of the year.

Jabba89 said:
Acevil said:

Most likely a year or so off. I wouldn't get that hyped for release date being this year, this is Square Enix. 

It does so coming 2018 at the end of the trailer, so it is possible for this year. No firm date so I would expect it to be at the end of the year.

If they pull it off, I will applaud them, but I still think it will be like Q1-Q2 2019 because Square. 

I really like to hear that the worlds will feel more alive this time.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Acevil said:

If they pull it off, I will applaud them, but I still think it will be like Q1-Q2 2019 because Square. 

After we got FFXV's release date, it was then delayed for two months from end of Sep to end of Nov.
Is there precedence for Square Enix delaying a game that has a release date (at least the year) by as much as you're speculating here?

You mean like last year when Kingdom Hearts 2.8 went from 2016 to 2017? Or do you want something that is exactly six months?

Hiku said:
Acevil said:

You mean like last year when Kingdom Hearts 2.8 went from 2016 to 2017? Or do you want something that is exactly six months?

KH 2.8 was delayed by a month from Dec 2016 to January 12, 2017.

I want something that is delayed by a quarter or two, yeah.

The closest example to full quarter I can remember is NIER, it was delayed from 2016 (No date set, to March 2017). Q2 might be off the cuff comment. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 10 February 2018

KH3 is what SO5 should have been. Multiple worlds and nice long story with awesome gameplay.

But I suppose budget and manpower held SO5 back substantially.

Hiku said:
Acevil said:

The closest I can remember is NIER, it was delayed from 2016 (No date set, to March 2017). Q2 might be off the cuff comment. 

The initially planned November 2016 release date for Nier was apparently not revealed to us until shortly after they gave us the first release date for the game, which was "Early 2017": https://www.destructoid.com/why-square-enix-delayed-nier-automata-368545.phtml
There were apparently no announced Nier release dates before that. Even the Paris Games Week trailer in Oct 2015 only said "Work in Progress."

Revealing behind the scenes information that we didn't have to know is different from changing an established release date. The latter creates expectations, and people (and some times publishers of other games) plan their economy/schedule for the release ahead of time. The former doesn't.

Release dates get changed all the time internally. And that's why publishers are often hesitant to give any release dates until they feel certain. In Nier's case they did not seem confident enough in the November 2016 target, so they never announced it. Until they gave us the "Early 2017" release date at E3 2016.

From what I can recall, SE's recent history with announced release dates is that they don't give us numbers unless they feel somewhat confident in them. If a game is delayed after this, we can perhaps expect maybe a couple of months. But something like 2 quarters seems like unfair criticism of their recent history.
Unless I'm forgetting something.

I will give you that, 2 quarters was a bit much. Which cause I apologize for pessimistic nature. 

This comment was just more reflecting my feelings from Square has hard time hitting the dates they set way in advance, namely when it come to a lot of Square announcement in 2016 being pushed in 2017. Dragon Quest VIII if I recall was another title was stated for 2016 that got pushed back, but that might have been by month or so as well. 

You are correct, this is in the trailer and it should hold more value. 

Keybladewielder said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:
11 New pieces of information from D23 Expo Japan that have shed some light on Kingdom Hearts 3

While the most crucial piece of information, the release date, is still unknown, at today’s D23 Expo Japan we received plenty of new information on Kingdom Hearts 3.
We have taken this information and summarised it for your reading pleasure.

1. Monsters Inc. World

In the latest trailer, “Monsters Inc.” was revealed as a new world. Following Toy Story, Monsters Inc. is the 2nd Pixar world that has been introduced into KH3. Taking on appearances similar to those of Mike and Sully, Sora and friends set out on an adventure in the new Monsters Inc world, with plenty of new gimmicks to play around with.

2. Utada Hikaru’s new song “Oath” set as the theme song

Having already compiled songs for both Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II, after 13 years Utada Hikaru returns again for the theme song of KHIII. The name of this one is “Oath”, which can be partly heard in the recent trailers.

3. Transformations of Gummi Ships to the Open World

A staple of the series, the highly customizable Gummi Ships are something you use to fly through space in order to reach brand new worlds. In KH3, they’re back again, with ever more the customizability. Additionally, what used to be linear stages have now been revamped into open world environments with a 360 degree view, where you may freely fly and travel as you see fit. The gameplay seems to have been separated into 2 phases: Battle Phase and Searching Phase. With the updated system and customizations, it’s become a much richer experience.

4. Worlds have become busier

One of the most compelling aspects of the Kingdom Hearts series is how you can travel around to many different Disney worlds. In KH3, effort has been put not only into the action developing on the battle field, but in the actual towns themselves. The presentation showed off the Rapunzel world, which contains a town surrounding the castle. The town contains countless NPCs who come and go, with houses and shops that line up the alleys. Compared to before, KH3 will really make you feel like you’re actually in the respective Disney worlds.

5. The programming for Rapunzel’s hair was extremely tough

Tangled was one of the first worlds announced and worked on but, the reason that there wasn’t much gameplay footage within there was, out of everything, the fact that in order to get Rapunzel’s hair to act in the way it does it took a huge amount of time. Up until now there hasn’t really been a character in a game with as much hair as Rapunzel, and so processing that hair was really tough. For a while, it was just floating there. During the presentation, however, we are shown scenes of Rapunzel walking, where her hair flows in the wind and falls completely naturally as if in real life. She’s also seen to be able to interact with environment using her hair, like wrapping it around a tree etc. which we think will go down in gaming history as the most effort ever put into a game character’s hair.

6. The background modelling was done by the largest team ever at Square Enix

In terms of development, one of the most vital parts were the backgrounds for the fields and towns. From Square Enix alone, the team developing the backgrounds in KH3 involved 80 people, and above that they also outsourced to studios overseas. This is a first in Square Enix, being the biggest team used for developing backgrounds ever. Look forward to seeing incredibly rich environments within KH3.

7. There’s a collaboration with Kingdom Hearts Union Cross

There seems to be some sort of collaboration going on with the Kingdom Heart’s series mobile app, “Kingdom Hearts Union Cross”. From today a collaboration with Final Fantasy Record Keeper has begun, which includes a Gummi Ship mini game within Record Keeper, a Gilgamesh and Kefka raid battle within Union Cross, and characters appearing as avatars in the classic Final Fantasy pixel style. As for collaborations with KH3 there was nothing in particular announced, however developers did talk about how they want to link KH3 and Union Cross in some way.

8. Each world is rich full of content, as if they are their own games

According to the developers, this Kingdom Hearts game is “on a whole different level”. In each and every world they have put the utmost effort, so much so that each world could be considered its own game with the amount of mechanics and gameplay that they have packed in. In the gameplay portion of the trailer, you could see Sora riding rockets, hanging from factory belts, there truly are many diverse elements that you can look forward to experiencing.

9. The appearance of “Giantland” in some form?

In the presentation, some images were showcased of the current development situation, and among those an image with the words “Giantland” was seen. It was quite a basic picture, and not seen within any of the footage shown of the KH3 gameplay, but there must be some intention of incorporating it into the game. “Giantland” is known in Japan as “Mickey’s Giant Conquest” which was released as an animated film in 1993, which was based on the English fairy tale, “Jack and the Beanstalk”. We wonder how this will be used within KH3…

10. Rare Heartless confirmed!

Kingdom Hearts 3 will include Rare Heartless which may only be defeating by using special strategies. Different from regular heartless, you’ll be able to do things like ride on their heads, and each will have designated missions prepared. We think these will become quite the important pieces of additional content to enjoy.

11. The last stage will involve something that Tetsuya Nomura has wanted to implement for a very long time

Tetsuya Nomura said that in KH3, the last stage will include “Something I have always wanted to do, ever since making Final Fantasy”. What was said was very vague, among it also was the input of the developers, who said very interesting things like: “You will be able to do anything” and “It will be compilation of everything up until now”. What they meant will probably remain a mystery until we can play it, but that whole segment really got us wondering…

Where did you copy this from?

Edit: Oh you got it from KHinsider, who got it from IGN Japan.

right, thought to put some more information😉