By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Digital Foundry] Monster Hunter World (Full game) Comparisons + Performance test

Huh. So XBO X gets a better frame rate but PS4 Pro runs at a slightly higher resolution for some reason.

edit: This explains it:

WoodenPints said: 
- Resolution mode is 1800p checkerboard vs Native 1728p, More foliage on Pro but overall cleaner image on X

Around the Network

- 1080p vs 874p on base ps4/X1
- Resolution mode is 1800p checkerboard vs Native 1728p, More foliage on Pro but overall cleaner image on X and better depth of field.
- Pro+X graphics/performance mode all 1080p
- Looks like the base PS4 runs at 27-28 fps mostly and base X1 at 24-25 fps
- Pro looks to run around 40 fps in performance mode and X around 45, some areas X sees a massive boost over Pro such as in Astera.

Looks like neither console across all the modes are particularly well optimised and Graphics mode seems best for X1 and resolution seems best for Pro from the video. Sounds like they really need to implement a 30fps cap option for resolution mode though as it hovers only just above 30 mostly of the time and looks a little stuttery.

Last edited by WoodenPints - on 31 January 2018

WoodenPints said:
- Resolution mode is 1800p checkerboard vs Native 1728p, More foliage on Pro but overall cleaner image on X

Ah thanks that clears it up, only skimmed through the video and saw the numbers but not the checkerboard vs native.

WoodenPints said:

- 1080p vs 874p on base ps4/X1
- Pro+X graphics/performance mode all 1080p
- Looks like the base PS4 runs at 27-28 fps mostly and base X1 at 24-25 fps
- Pro looks to run around 40 fps in performance mode and X around 45, some areas X sees a massive boost over Pro such as in Astera.

Looks like neither console across all the modes are particularly well optimised and Graphics mode seems best for X1 and resolution seems best for Pro from the video. Sounds like they really need to implement a 30fps cap option for resolution mode though as it hovers only just above 30 and looks a little stuttery.

Okay, I am happy I am waiting for the PC versions. The performance on the base consoles  is pretty abysmal (especially on Xbox) from my perspective, and the unlocked frame-rate is annoying. Plenty of games to keep me occupied until then on PS4, Switch, and PC, plus my backlog. Still, very hard to resist the game for now.  

One side does one thing better, while the other covers a different area. neither seem to be able to cover both zones or doing both better than the other.

Also, wth happened to capping the frame rate to at least 30?.

I'm hoping to god that the PC version isn't a mess, as well as being uncapped. Put those 7-9 month of resources to good use Capcom.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Huh. So XBO X gets a better frame rate but PS4 Pro runs at a slightly higher resolution for some reason.

edit: This explains it:

WoodenPints said: 

In the prefered mode, it ran on avg ~3 fps faster.

But it was missing objects at range, that where drawn on the PS4.
Doesnt feel like your getting much with the Xbox One X, for this game.

Will say that the PS4slim > Xbox One S by alot in this game.
Playstation is def. getting a better experiance with MHW than xbox.

Lol. Xbox owners got fucked^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Xbox One X is by far the superior version. PS4 pro is performance is acceptable. Standard PS4 and Xone performance is piss poor.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Hiku said:
Qwark said:
Xbox One X is by far the superior version. PS4 pro is performance is acceptable. Standard PS4 and Xone performance is piss poor.

Why exactly do you consider it "by far superior"?
It appears to be a very mixed experience of pros vs cons between both systems. XB1X seems overall the best system for the game, but I wouldn't use the term "by far superior".

Better framerates and the Xone X manages to output a native resolution almost as high as the checkerboard resolution of the pro. Sure LOD took a small hit. But all around its a much cleaner and stable picture.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

It's strange that there isn't really a definitive version, like the Pro has some advantages while the X has others.