Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Digital Foundry] Monster Hunter World (Full game) Comparisons + Performance test

Qwark said:
Xbox One X is by far the superior version. PS4 pro is performance is acceptable. Standard PS4 and Xone performance is piss poor.

Why exactly do you consider it "by far superior"?
It appears to be a very mixed experience of pros vs cons between both systems. XB1X seems overall the best system for the game, but I wouldn't use the term "by far superior".

Last edited by Hiku - on 31 January 2018

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Qwark said:
Xbox One X is by far the superior version. PS4 pro is performance is acceptable. Standard PS4 and Xone performance is piss poor.

It appears to be a very mixed experience of pros vs cons between both systems. XB1X seems overall the best system for the game, but I wouldn't use the term "by far superior".

Better framerates and the Xone X manages to output a native resolution almost as high as the checkerboard resolution of the pro. Sure LOD took a small hit. But all around its a much cleaner and stable picture.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

It's strange that there isn't really a definitive version, like the Pro has some advantages while the X has others.

Qwark said:
Hiku said:

Better framerates and the Xone X manages to output a native resolution almost as high as the checkerboard resolution of the pro. Sure LOD took a small hit. But all around its a much cleaner and stable picture.

Well, in Performance Mode, XB1 framerate averaged at 46f vs Pro's 43f. I think we can agree that "by far" may not apply here? At least in terms of framerate.
When it comes to consistency, in regards to the XBX1 version he said "it's still jerky due to the inconsistent frametimes", so I assume neither platform had an edge when it came to framerate consistency here, as he didn't make a note of that here. For visuals they are both using native 1080p. But PS4 Pro shows some more foliage details.

In Resolution Mode, Pro actually had the higher framerate, (around 37f vs 34f) but the XB1X's framerates remained somewhat more consistent. I guess it comes down to what you prefer, but I wouldn't say "by far" in this case either because the difference was pretty minor.
The DF employee who made the video said that this had become his "preferred mode on both systems, due to the massively improved image quality, and slightly more consistent frame times".
For visuals it was slightly better resolution for Pro, but checkerboard, vs no checkerboard on XB1X. However both versions still displayed unclarity in the distance during movement thanks to a temporal reconstruction technique. And there was still some more foilage on PS4 Pro.

So again, I wouldn't say "by far" here either. Just overall a bit more preferable if you ask me.

In Graphics mode however, XB1X's framerate was significantly higher. And that seemed to be the only difference, so for that mode I'd use the term "by far" better. For the others I find it pretty debatable to say so. And there was no go-to definitive best mode on any system.

Last edited by Hiku - on 31 January 2018

Love the look of the game but never enjoyed the Monster Hunter games, the fighting/hunting action seemed basic and repetitive. All the versions of the game look a bit flawed too. Might try it when one of the version's hits the bargain bucket, probably xbox one.

Around the Network

The gap between standard PS4 and Xbox One keeps growing. 864p is barely 1.3 million pixels, that's even less than the usual 900p vs 1080p. Also frame-rate is worse on Xbox One.

shikamaru317 said:

XB1 vs PS4
XB1: 864p 
PS4: 1080p 
There is a temporal reconstruction method in use that makes motion blurry on both, but combined with Xbox One's lower resolution it looks especially blurry. Both regularly drop below 30 fps (as low as 24 fps) through framerates are a bit worse on XB1 overall.

XB1 X  vs PS4 Pro Resolution mode
X: 1728p native
Pro: 1800p checkerboard
Capcom implementation of checkerboard is poor, leading to noticeable artifacts on some edges. Pro has better foliage LoD. Both are mostly over 30 fps, X is a bit higher on framerate. 

XB1 X vs PS4 Pro Performance mode
X: 1080p 
Pro: 1080p
Pro also has better foliage LoD on performance mode. X has better framerates though and can even get close to 60 fps in some areas of the game.

XB1 X vs PS4 Pro Graphics mode
X: 1080p
Pro: 1080p
X and Pro basically have the same graphics settings here (only XB1 X mode with the same foliage LoD as Pro), but X framerate is significantly higher than Pro, only slightly lower than X's framerate in Performance mode

No, In resolution mode, Pro has a slightly better framerate actually.

In performance mode the Pro can also reach 60fps, only less often than X.

Disappointed in the performance... lock the framerate at 30fps Capcom!

yup, ps4 pro is prety much at the same level as x1x, alson standard ps4 is far superor when compared to x1s.

Anyway, i would go whit ps version anyday, just because my friends, community (there are probably 10x more players on ps4) and online estability ( x1 version whit many online problems).

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.