By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch has sold-in (shipped) 14.86 million, 3DS 72 million, Nintendo's FY 2017 Nine Months Earnings

FiveOVER said:
How is the ship vs sold argument relevant here? To my knowledge, the Switch has no problems clearing stock. What difference does it make?

Units shipped aren't available instantly to buy on shelves, they're in transit etc.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
JSG87 said:

I was just trying to say that to Nintendo the 14.8 million is as good as sold to consumers even if it means shipped lol.

Yeah shipped is as good as sold to consumers from Nintendo's standpoint, you just seemed to be suggesting when you said "It doesn't really matter whether is sold through or not. It all means exactly the same to Nintendo." that whether the figure was consumers or shipped it didn't matter for Nintendo, whereas it definitely does, because it's the difference between 14.8m "as good as sold" and 16m+ "as good as sold".

No not at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just meant that whether the 14.8 million is sold or shipped, Nintendo already has their money.

JRPGfan said:
JSG87 said:

How do I not understand it? I've just not commented on it because I'm not talking about that. I get that if it'd 14.8 million sold in then that means shipments would be way higher. Like right now VGC probably has rhe switch undertracked by about 1.7 million which would be 14 million sold through and 800k shipped. I get that. I was just trying to say that to Nintendo the 14.8 million is as good as sold to consumers even if it means shipped lol.

Yeah its only a matter of time, until they adjust the numbers up by 1.5m-1.7m or so.

They adjusted the numbers up by 1.2 million bur I think that's a little conservative since Japan is heavily under stocked right now.

Nautilus said:
VGPolyglot said:

How much did the other Xenoblade games do?

Only the original versions?Around one million each.Nintendo never listed them in their reports because they only list the top 10 selling first party games, and only mention sales of titles under that if the sales are impressive, which X sales werent(even if it did sell well).

I wish we had more concrete numbers than that.

SpokenTruth said:

Switch just outsold/outshipped/outclassed Wii U LTD in 10 months and we have pages upon pages of people bickering over shipped vs sold.

happens in every single thread when a company reports their numbers. Its honestly puzzling how this is an issue every thread.  Raises some questions in my mind honestly

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
SpokenTruth said:

Switch just outsold/outshipped/outclassed Wii U LTD in 10 months and we have pages upon pages of people bickering over shipped vs sold.

Yeah, but outdoing the Wii U in sales, even in such a short amount of time, is hardly newsworthy.

Besides, most reasonable people could see that coming from miles away!

Maybe not, but 14.8 million still puts the Switch ahead of every other Home Console at the Ten Month mark which is a cause for celebration.

Barkley said:
FiveOVER said:

Units shipped aren't available instantly to buy on shelves, they're in transit etc.

That just means a slight delay tho. Not convinced it makes much difference, but okay. Unless it is a Vita or Wii U case where they sit on shelves for prolonged period of time and then the argument is relevant.

CGI-Quality said:
FiveOVER said:

The PS4 doesn't have problems clearing stock either, but when numbers are reported as shipped, that's how we treat them (a site that deals with sold-to-consumer, after all). There's nothing wrong with wanting clarity on the matter.

Shipped to retailer (sold-in) = 14.86m, but to Nintendo, it's sold. 

Noted. I just feel that it doesn't make any difference when it comes to hardware sales. As opposed to software sales where you can make the argument that it can determine whether it is front-loaded vs having long legs. But I see your point.

CGI-Quality said:
JSG87 said:

Maybe not, but 14.8 million still puts the Switch ahead of every other Home Console at the Ten Month mark which is a cause for celebration.

I'm not arguing against celebrating, I'm simply saying that beating the Wii U is hardly anything major, given it was Nintendo's weakest performer since the GameCube.

Oh I wasn't having a go lol. I sorta do think though that outselling the Wii U in 10 months is really good cause even though LTD sales are low for it it's still quite a high number for a system in its first year.

CGI-Quality said:
JSG87 said:

I'm simply saying that beating the Wii U is hardly anything major,

In 9-10 months? That's huge

SpokenTruth said:

For a dead on arrival, won't surpass Wii U console as many predicted

Who are these many? o.O

I know predictions weren't high in January but I've only seen a couple that predicted this low xD