By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch has sold-in (shipped) 14.86 million, 3DS 72 million, Nintendo's FY 2017 Nine Months Earnings

spurgeonryan said:
The only big surprise for me is Mario Odyssey. That skyrocketed in just a few months.

Well.... BoTW was on the Wii U too, so was Mario Kart 8.
Splatoon 2, is more or less the same as Splatoon 1.

The first really big "must have" game, and a mainline Mario at that, is Mario Odyssey.

Plus "super mario 3d world" was a dissapointment, people wanted a successor to Mario Galaxy ect.
Nintendo delivered.

So Im not surprised its highly successfull... but 9m in like 2-3months is still pretty crazy sales.

Around the Network
Platina said:
Very, very impressive

I had my doubts before the system launched but this is better than what most anticipated

Any doubts should be gone now.

Barkley said:
JSG87 said:

I am understanding but you arw clearly not getting what I'm saying. I'm not talking in relation to vgchartz. I'm just saying to Nintendo is doesn't matter.

Shipping more units doesn't matter????

That's not what I'm saying at all. I am saying specifically that to Nintendo 14.8illion shipped is the same as sold cause they got the money for all those consoles already.

acdcste said:
FiveOVER said:

What were the fire emblem warriors numbers? I appear to have missed those somehow.

Fire emblem warriors wasn't mentioned in the report. Probably because it didn't break a million.

JSG87 said:
Barkley said:

Shipping more units doesn't matter????

That's not what I'm saying at all. I am saying specifically that to Nintendo 14.8illion shipped is the same as sold cause they got the money for all those consoles already.

I know that's what you're saying but you don't seem to understand that 14.86m sold to consumers means MORE shipments then 14.86m shipments.

Nintendo get the money as soon as they ship. So this is why sold-in (shipped) and sold-through (to consumers) matter to Nintendo.

If the 14.86m is sold-in (shipped) then they have made at $300 a piece, $4.2 Billion in revenue.

If the 14.86m is sold-through (to consumers) then they MUST have shipped more than 14.86m, likely 16m+ shipped. Which would be $4.8 Billion in Revenue.

That's why the definition of this figure matters for Nintendo.

If the 14.86 is shipped they've made around $4.2 Billion in Revenue (because they've been paid for shipping 14.86m units)

If the 14.86 is Sold-Through they've made around $4.8 Billion in Revenue (because they've been paid for shipping ~16m units)

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
acdcste said:

Clearly I was being uneducated at the time of writing :)

Good Save!

I thought so too!

Barkley said:
JSG87 said:

I know that's what you're saying but you don't seem to understand that 14.86m sold to consumers means MORE shipments then 14.86m shipments.

Nintendo get the money as soon as they ship. So this is why sold-in (shipped) and sold-through (to consumers) matter to Nintendo.

If the 14.86m is sold-in (shipped) then they have made at $300 a piece, $4.2 Billion in revenue.

If the 14.86m is sold-through (to consumers) then they MUST have shipped more than 14.86m, likely 16m+ shipped. Which would be $4.8 Billion in Revenue.

If the 14.86 is shipped they've made around $4.2 Billion in Revenue (because they've been paid for shipping 14.86m units)

If the 14.86 is Sold-Through they've made around $4.8 Billion in Revenue (because they've been paid for shipping ~16m units)

How do I not understand it? I've just not commented on it because I'm not talking about that. I get that if it'd 14.8 million sold in then that means shipments would be way higher. Like right now VGC probably has rhe switch undertracked by about 1.7 million which would be 14 million sold through and 800k shipped. I get that. I was just trying to say that to Nintendo the 14.8 million is as good as sold to consumers even if it means shipped lol.

Last edited by JSG87 - on 31 January 2018

How is the ship vs sold argument relevant here? To my knowledge, the Switch has no problems clearing stock. What difference does it make?

JSG87 said:

I was just trying to say that to Nintendo the 14.8 million is as good as sold to consumers even if it means shipped lol.

Yeah shipped is as good as sold to consumers from Nintendo's standpoint, you just seemed to be suggesting when you said "It doesn't really matter whether is sold through or not. It all means exactly the same to Nintendo." that whether the figure was consumers or shipped it didn't matter for Nintendo, whereas it definitely does, because it's the difference between 14.8m "as good as sold" and 16m+ "as good as sold".

JSG87 said:
Barkley said:

How do I not understand it? I've just not commented on it because I'm not talking about that. I get that if it'd 14.8 million sold in then that means shipments would be way higher. Like right now VGC probably has rhe switch undertracked by about 1.7 million which would be 14 million sold through and 800k shipped. I get that. I was just trying to say that to Nintendo the 14.8 million is as good as sold to consumers even if it means shipped lol.

Yeah its only a matter of time, until they adjust the numbers up by 1.5m-1.7m or so.