By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom stock at a 16 year high in the wake of MH World success (5m shipped)

Seems like the exclusivity deals have hold them on life support for they to come back stronger.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I wouldn't have much faith in that if I were you. Looked very cheap and poor graphically. There are indie games made by one or two people with a limited budget that have more impressive graphics.

Hopefully they can touch up the graphics when they show it again. 

This is what an AAA 2D platformer should look like: 

Why does it have to be AAA?. I mean was Mega Man 9 and 10 AAA titles? No, they weren't. Nintendo made the Boxy Boy or whatever it was called. It was just cubes on a white background. I like the simpler look of the new Mega Man. That Kirby game has so much shit going on that its hard to focus on the characters.

Because they're going to sell it for 60 bucks. And that screenshot isn't cluttered at all if you ignore the text and image of the girl (which aren't part of the game). 

This was made by two people and only costs 20 bucks: 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
KLXVER said:

Why does it have to be AAA?. I mean was Mega Man 9 and 10 AAA titles? No, they weren't. Nintendo made the Boxy Boy or whatever it was called. It was just cubes on a white background. I like the simpler look of the new Mega Man. That Kirby game has so much shit going on that its hard to focus on the characters.

Because they're going to sell it for 60 bucks. And that screenshot isn't cluttered at all if you ignore the text and image of the girl (which aren't part of the game). 

This was made by two people and only costs 20 bucks: 

Do you have a link to them saying it will be 60 bucks?

NoCtiS_NoX said:
Nautilus said:

Ummmmmm, most people actually said, and Im one of them, that Capcom should have a MHW version for Switch ready for launch alongside the other versions or at least within reasonable distance from the first version release.MH World would never flop, so it wasnt a stupid decision per se, but Im of the opinion that they are certainly losing a few millions in sales for not releasing on the Switch.I mean, a MH game is bound to come to Switch eventually, one that isnt a port of a port of an expansion, but still, its good to build your userbase early on.

But Ill be the first to admit that I didnt expect MHW to do that so well so early.Lets see how fast they can go through that 5 million units they shipped.

From Capcom.

"We don't have any plans for the Switch at the moment. Part of the reason is that the title has been in development for almost 4 years. At the time we had to commit to our hardware choices, we decided on using the most powerful current generation consoles available at the time, which was Playstation 4 and Xbox One. So [the decision was made] before the Switch was even announced or on sale.

It's also because for every title we decide what the best fit for hardware is for the concept. We don't just look at everything. It's more like “if we want to achieve this kind of game concept, where's the best place to achieve that?” and for this title the Playstation 4 and Xbox One were the best fit for us."

------------------------

So what is your take on the one above? If PC version cannot make it day one and there's a huge gap between release. With PC version announced alongside with the other 2 from the start. Then you have a switch that entered midway of Capcom's development for MHW. Do you think there will be no compromises? Will MHW will be successful without Sony's marketing? MHW is always being showcased by Sony in there big events if Capcom decided to announce a Switch port early on. Sony won't bother give it a big marketing push in Asian market and Japan, Hence limiting the potential sale in Japan and other parts of Asian market which Playstation is far bigger than Nintendo consoles.

So if you are Capcom does delaying the game will be beneficial? Does announcing a Switch version early on and limit the sale potential in Japan a wise thing because I can argue that they can lose Millions sales aswell if they do those things. 

But Hopefully the New MH will be multi-platform from the start. I don't want Capcom making exclusive MH or even making 2 version. 3DS/Wii/WiiU era limiting the sales potential. 
But if ever they are making different version for the Switch ala MHX atleast make it mullt-plat with PC or even to some extent Vita lol. I am okay with PC.

Sorry for the late reply.

Anyways, I have already discussed this topic to death, so Ill give more a straight answer.Capcom had deep knowledge of the Switch and about its specs and overall hardware directions for longer than the Switch itself was announced.If Im not mistaken, it was him that suggested Nintendo to increase the system memory from 2 GB to 4GB.So it would give Capcom, as of now, 2 years to develop a port.If more time was needed, it could have released alongside the PC version and given it an extra 6 months of development.

And if manpower was an issue, they could have dropped the Xbox version in favor of a Switch version.Yeah, Xbox is similar to the PS4, so it would be an easier job to port to it, but the Switch isnt that much more dificult, and with MH being acossiated with Nintendo, it was a much easier sell there, at the very least in Japan.

As for the marketing push, can we really say who gave it the bigger push, if it was Sony or Capcom themselves that were marketing it?Outside of the reveal at E3(if Im not mistaken) at the Sony conference, could we really say that it was Sony who was banking the marketing expenses and/or was the big influence over hyping up the product, or was it just Capcom trying hard?This is a honest question, because if it was Capcom, it wouldnt really change much.The initial reveal would still likely have been at the Sony conference, and the overall marketing after that wouldnt change much, outside of probably also being promoted in the directs.At least thats my take on it.

And woudl you really limit the game sales?Or just delay the initial sales a further 6 months down the line, and potentially increasing the LT sales, at least as far as Japan is concerned?Especially now with the Switch roaring success?

Ill be the first to admit that I didnt expect it to do so well so fast, so probably the Switch version wasnt needed at all after all.But I dont think it would have hurt, at least to significant degree, the overall sales of the game, even more so that the Switch is being really successful everywhere.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

Sorry for the late reply.

Anyways, I have already discussed this topic to death, so Ill give more a straight answer.Capcom had deep knowledge of the Switch and about its specs and overall hardware directions for longer than the Switch itself was announced.If Im not mistaken, it was him that suggested Nintendo to increase the system memory from 2 GB to 4GB.So it would give Capcom, as of now, 2 years to develop a port.If more time was needed, it could have released alongside the PC version and given it an extra 6 months of development.

And if manpower was an issue, they could have dropped the Xbox version in favor of a Switch version.Yeah, Xbox is similar to the PS4, so it would be an easier job to port to it, but the Switch isnt that much more dificult, and with MH being acossiated with Nintendo, it was a much easier sell there, at the very least in Japan.

As for the marketing push, can we really say who gave it the bigger push, if it was Sony or Capcom themselves that were marketing it?Outside of the reveal at E3(if Im not mistaken) at the Sony conference, could we really say that it was Sony who was banking the marketing expenses and/or was the big influence over hyping up the product, or was it just Capcom trying hard?This is a honest question, because if it was Capcom, it wouldnt really change much.The initial reveal would still likely have been at the Sony conference, and the overall marketing after that wouldnt change much, outside of probably also being promoted in the directs.At least thats my take on it.

And woudl you really limit the game sales?Or just delay the initial sales a further 6 months down the line, and potentially increasing the LT sales, at least as far as Japan is concerned?Especially now with the Switch roaring success?

Ill be the first to admit that I didnt expect it to do so well so fast, so probably the Switch version wasnt needed at all after all.But I dont think it would have hurt, at least to significant degree, the overall sales of the game, even more so that the Switch is being really successful everywhere.

I am not going to call myself a game dev. expert. Capcom said that development started when Switch doesn't exist yet. Capcom said it was almost  years ago when the developments started so that could be at early 2014. 
Capcom might have known the Switch at 2015 but do you think they already have the dev. kits at that time? At late 2015 and 2016 development of MHW is already half way and dropping the XBOX ver. is stupid business wise. Capcom is wasting money and resources if they have done it. Switch is still an unproven platform by then.  A lot of changes will happen if they suddenly shifted and adding a new platform in the mix. MHW is a graphically heavy game. The scope, As I played MHW you will see a lot of movement. In one area monster fight. I noticed it when I am playing even if you are not seeing it they are fighting because when I reached the area where Anjanath. Anjanath is roaring and fighting against Pukei-Pukei.
There will be a downgrade for sure and MHW could have been a different game. it's possible it will not be as successful now in the west.
As on the quote it self.
 " we had to commit to our hardware choices, we decided on using the most powerful current generation consoles available at the time, which was Playstation 4 and Xbox One."
Aside from the one above deadlines. I discuss this with you before. They already have a deadline for the release date. 

Sony'smarketing.
The beta is on PS4, Marketing Blitz in Japan,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBKAvREZ-8&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq0EVEgXV8E

Playstation Taiwan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=-vzjwGeJAYQ
I saw in Era trains and and Ads are posted in Taiwan,

In SEA we are the 2nd to know that we are getting the PS4 pro Rathalos Edition.
Playstation Asia posted on their page. 
Sony is offering a 3 extra month for PS plus for their 12 mos. sub with MHW plaster on the card and posted in PS asia. Stores in my country has a ad for this.

Sony also showcased the game in PGW and PSX. 
Sony have the marketing deal to top it off. No need to explain more.

So announcing a Switch version before MHW released or releasing NSW Ver. Day one is not in Capcom's best interest.

PS: The said ads are also on this thread.