By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - [Project] [Complete] "Get all the stuff out of my gaming PC and put it somewhere else"

vivster said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I just always think of PC's as being flexible to fill all roles but I guess the idea for power drain isn't a bad one really but most components today with newer fabrications will use a small amount of wattage while a PC isn't under load, I mean if you go for something cheap from a few years ago in comparison to my Ryzen 1700 right now just with some browser action there is no way an older chip would be hitting 13watts at any point unless it was off.

in terms of what it's used for I either sit here and game directly at it, or else make use of some 15m HDMI cables which run it off into other rooms for a TV and projector as well, just aye... one machine with setup to be everywhere can work.

The only thing I would think would be a good idea for a separate work machine... would be to avoid the risk of a virus or such from downloaded apps infecting and ransomwaring your work files, that would definitely be a good reason to have a separate machine for them.

Well, it is a very specific setup and use case. I will get all of the pros with basically no drawback whatsoever. So there really is no reason not to do it. It makes everything cleaner and more streamlined.

I'm going to assume that you're not playing Rocket League at 144fps with G-sync and an Nvidia driver that does what the fuck it wants all day while trying to watch Twitch on a 60Hz monitor.

Only have Rocket League on PS4/Switch not the PC

Can throw out 100 or so frames of Overwatch using 35w of power though, my GPU has become the bottleneck since getting a Ryzen, it's a 760 but waiting on my 1060 to arrive to make a bit more use out of it.

Ryzen really gives insane amounts of CPU power per Watt

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
vivster said:

Well, it is a very specific setup and use case. I will get all of the pros with basically no drawback whatsoever. So there really is no reason not to do it. It makes everything cleaner and more streamlined.

I'm going to assume that you're not playing Rocket League at 144fps with G-sync and an Nvidia driver that does what the fuck it wants all day while trying to watch Twitch on a 60Hz monitor.

Only have Rocket League on PS4/Switch not the PC

Can throw out 100 or so frames of Overwatch using 35w of power though, my GPU has become the bottleneck since getting a Ryzen, it's a 760 but waiting on my 1060 to arrive to make a bit more use out of it.

Ryzen really gives insane amounts of CPU power per Watt

I don't really care about wattage at all. It's just a nice bonus. What's probably more important is the reduced noise in my living room. My PC and my components are fine. It's the awkward combination and Nvidia's inability to make competent drivers and Steam's inability to make a competent client and Microsoft's inability to make a competent OS that leads to problems.

What this new build is for is to take all those things out of the equation, so I won't continue to get fucked over by them, now and in the future.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

To not waste more time I'm gonna make a quick build for Intel for now. Maybe I like that well enough so I don't have to wait for AMD.

I am going to need some consultation for my storage plans considering RAID and choice of HDDs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If you don't want to wait.

Will you go with Intel's latest or last gen?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Whatever fits best. I haven't kept up with the latest models but usually newer is better. All I know is that I probably won't be satisfied with Pentium or i3.

Around the Network
vivster said:
JEMC said:

Whatever fits best. I haven't kept up with the latest models but usually newer is better. All I know is that I probably won't be satisfied with Pentium or i3.

If you go with Intel's latest, and knowing that you like Asus, the ROG Strix Z370 I Gaming could fit all your needs: M-ITX, 4x SATA ports, RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and not one but two M.2 ports.

*Edit* Oh! And with display outputs.

Last edited by JEMC - on 30 January 2018

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
vivster said:

If you go with Intel's latest, and knowing that you like Asus, the ROG Strix Z370 I Gaming could fit all your needs: M-ITX, 4x SATA ports, RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and not one but two M.2 ports.

Currently checking out all the stuff. And it doesn't have to be ROG. I do like ASUS stuff but it doesn't have to be the ROG brand.

I'm gonna use this list to try stuff out.

https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-921980

vivster said:
JEMC said:

Currently checking out all the stuff. And it doesn't have to be ROG. I do like ASUS stuff but it doesn't have to be the ROG brand.

I think Asus only has one Mini-ITX board, and it's that ROG one. You'll have to use other brands.

JEMC said:
vivster said:

I think Asus only has one Mini-ITX board, and it's that ROG one. You'll have to use other brands.

Yeah, just saw it. Only the one that's also the most expensive one by coincidence. I'm not that much about money but holy shit, an mITX board for 180€. That's crazy.

This might become a 2000€ project^^

edit: WTF is up with those RAM prices? 150€ for a 16GB kit? Holy shit. Need to check if I need low profile DIMMs before I can decide.

Last edited by vivster - on 30 January 2018

vivster said:
JEMC said:

Yeah, just saw it. Only the one that's also the most expensive one by coincidence. I'm not that much about money but holy shit, an mITX board for 180€. That's crazy.

This might become a 2000€ project^^

edit: WTF is up with those RAM prices? 150€ for a 16GB kit? Holy shit. Need to check if I need low profile DIMMs before I can decide.

Yeah, there's a lot of talk about GPU pricing because of miners, but RAM prices are just insane.