By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - [Project] [Complete] "Get all the stuff out of my gaming PC and put it somewhere else"

Talk about a tight fit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Talk about a tight fit.

I hope you didn't miss a cable.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 08 February 2018

caffeinade said:

I hope you didn't miss a cable.

Surprisingly I didn't need much. I actually used every single connector. 24 Pin ATX, 8 Pin CPU and one cable with 2x SATA and 2x Molex for the HDD backplane. It's actually quite tidy inside.

Ok. I've plugged everything and everything is detected. I created the RAID10 and I'm currently installing Windows. That's the last thing I'm gonna do today. Tomorrow is transfer and setup time.

Noise of the system is quite tolerable. If it doesn't get much worse when there is heavy load on the Storage it's already way better than I expected.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

All prepared and boxed into a tiny little cube.

Everything snuggly packed. Almost no room left in there. Also there are no extraneous cables this time :)

Here he is next to his proud big brother. Lil bro will see to it that big bro is gonna lose all of his cancer inside.

Couldn't get windows file share to work between the two machines so I'm using RDP now. I'm transferring bigger files at 90MB/s write speed, which is pretty good. Makes me hopeful for the read speed.

At  that speed it should take around 21h to finish. The second charge should take about as long. So the bulk transfers should be finished by Sunday evening.

Last edited by vivster - on 09 February 2018

Around the Network

Well look who had the right intuition. During the file transfer one of my 4 drives just completely crashed. At least that's what my mainboard and CrystalDisk are telling me.

But for some reason Windows hasn't noticed it so it still tries to load from it which crashes the explorer. It's a RAID5, so it should be fine. But it looks like I have to physically remove the drive for Windows to do shit.

edit: transfer continues as normal after I kicked out the drive. God bless RAID.

Last edited by vivster - on 10 February 2018

Batch 2 is started and should be finished in 10h. Which means I'm gonna have the whole of Sunday to install and customize everything.

So if I'm quick and motivated enough I might be able to make the full switch tomorrow and clean up my GPC.

Well, I've done the plunge. I killed my GPC, ripped every hardware bullshit out of it and I'm currently reinstalling drivers and Steam, which is pretty much the only thing this PC will ever need.

Today I'm going to finish up everything as much as possible to give this project an official conclusion.

Right now I migrated everything and set up both PCs. I've been using my SPC for about a week now and I'm very satisfied.

The sound mixing is an unresolved problem for now. Turns out the passive mixer dampens the sound by too much, so I'm gonna need an active solution:

- Get 2 amplifiers for SPC and GPC
- Get an active mixer
- Get an external sound card
- I coul also try a cheap passive mixer for 2-in-1 which would most likely not kill the sound as much but would mean I have to change cables when I want to switch to consoles.

I struggled yesterday to get any kind of performance on Rocket League. I got about 25fps during gameplay no matter what graphics settings. I suspected G-sync but that wasn't it either.
When I cleaned up the hardware from my GPC I changed the PCIE slot for my GPU. I put it one slot lower for better accessibility. It should've been the same full 16 lane PCIE slot but apparently it wasn't. So I put it back and everything worked fine again.

Which really only leaves the sound issue. I looked into sound over LAN solutions but I couldn't test them yesterday because my PCs are not in the same network and most programs just work on the same subnet. I bought myself a cheap switch today to solve that issue once and for all. I'm hopeful that this will work.